Main Menu

Does my Art look big in this?

Started by staticgirl, 10 February, 2010, 02:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cpt Rhodes

Even at this unfinished stage, your lighting is fantastic. Great painted style. Your art in the latest Dogbreath was a stand out piece also.

Look forward to seeing more.

Quote from: Leigh Shepherd on 24 October, 2010, 10:24:23 PM

Dunno if that'll show...

Its a work in progress  - number 15 in a series of 15 beasties i want to get done.  Needs a bit more work!

staticgirl

Leigh - I am really quite scared of that picture! Superb....

I dun another page of my comic.
http://staticgirl.deviantart.com/#/d31he3x

Really loved painting this - the colouring was great fun!

Leigh S

Cheers for the kind comments all - the lighting on mnticore is a step up from this first attempt  (number 5 of a series of 15 - still not finished!) 

I find my main problem (beyond the technical difficulties of drawing/colouring etc!) is not gadflyig about and leaving one thing unfinished to start another.  ive drawn all 15 of my series of 15, but rather than methodically work me way through em, i find myself picking at them randomly! I've even gone as far as drawing a 16th in the series sof 15 rather than bloody finishing one!

The good thing about small press is that you have to finish (or near as dammit!) the things for the sake of others waiting on you.  I can motivate meself to draw a lot, but when theres no deadline, I find it hard to focus!

Any tips out there?

Simon  -forgot to say - really liking the hair in that Supergirl - puts me in mind of russ Nicholson for some reason - I always loved that stylised, but "realistic" thing he had going on.

CrazyFoxMachine

Leigh - great bleedin' imp. I always find making a big list of all the stuff you have (or want) to draw helps. Y'know - you move through it in a categorical fashion and your desire to do a task further down the list motivates you to do everything before that if that makes sense. Now relax and enjoy a big screaming amp.

Mitahane

Leigh - these are just beautiful
CrazyFoxMachine - THAT'S IT ! This is the feeling of a freaking cranked amp !

pauljholden

Got the go ahead to show off the unadorned art for the cover of Strip #1 (coming in 2011, before I'm asked!)

http://fav.me/d31jefa

-pj

Cpt Rhodes

I like that cover, a LOT!

Quote from: pauljholden on 26 October, 2010, 10:05:53 AM
Got the go ahead to show off the unadorned art for the cover of Strip #1 (coming in 2011, before I'm asked!)

http://fav.me/d31jefa

-pj

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Some of the stuff on this thread just makes me want to throw away my pencils and give up. And yet I persevere.

You may quote me on that.

Mitahane

@pops : and you're right ! Good move on this one ;)
@PJ : how to say...WOW...yeah...WOW !

exilewood

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 25 October, 2010, 10:55:29 PM
Leigh - great bleedin' imp. I always find making a big list of all the stuff you have (or want) to draw helps. Y'know - you move through it in a categorical fashion and your desire to do a task further down the list motivates you to do everything before that if that makes sense. Now relax and enjoy a big screaming amp.

This is my favourite thing. You've never even seen my amp, yet you've nailed it.
Just finished a great gig in Soho about three hours ago - that's just what I needed to see!

Cpt Rhodes

This is a small portion of work in progress poster image I've got on just now. Still got a bit of detailing to do on the hair and the lower half of the pic is still very rough.
I keep all my reference work on the board to keep me right as i'm going along and in some cases I can diectly colour pick for accuracy but then that tends to change depending on how the scene's lighting affects it.
Hope you like it so far.

[Emp edit: PhotoBucket are wusses, try this: ]

IAMTHESYSTEM

GGGEEENNNIIIUUUSSS !

I like it Cpt Rhodes. Lovely colour scheme.

Salems lot is still scary that damn bit with the rocking chair will haunt me forever! :)
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

JayzusB.Christ

Haven't checked this thread for a while - top stuff all round! When are you going back to work for Tharg, Captain? Would love to see you back  in the prog / Meg.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Cpt Rhodes

Cheers guys.
Between the day job and family duties I'm only turning in a fully painted page of comic art a month. Fine for a quarterly mag like Wasted but not much use otherwise.

Vixens is creator owned too and I'm having a lot of fun doing it at my own pace.

Emperor

Quote from: Cpt Rhodes on 27 October, 2010, 09:48:36 AM
I keep all my reference work on the board to keep me right as i'm going along and in some cases I can diectly colour pick for accuracy but then that tends to change depending on how the scene's lighting affects it.

And what fine collection of reference images they are - who knew they could work together so well. It should also be an example of how to use them and in the other corner... Greg Land.

Quote from: Cpt Rhodes on 27 October, 2010, 11:54:30 AMBetween the day job and family duties I'm only turning in a fully painted page of comic art a month.

Of course, it could be a cover for starters - Siku made a recentish return with a cover. It might be a slow page rate but boy it is worth it for the finished product. We know you can draw a lovely lady ;) but you can turn on the dark and moody horror vibe too*, so I'd love see you on something like a Defoe cover. You have also shown a Dredd one could be a stunner and somewhere in the back of my head a little voice whispers Dirty Frank. Or Devlin Waugh. I'll stop now.

* And when the two combine... oh boy :o
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+