Main Menu

First Superman comic sells for $1m

Started by SuperSurfer, 23 February, 2010, 01:16:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperSurfer

"A copy of the first comic to feature caped hero Superman has been sold on the internet for $1m (£646,000)."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8529504.stm

No doubt this has been done before round these parts, but what is the most valuable comic you possess?

I have ROM no.1 and The Human Fly no.1.

Emperor

I think I have The Human Fly #1 too - swap you!!

Its difficult to say what is the most expensive comic I have, I'd imagine the bulk of them could be bought for a few quid from eBay, I also don't follow comic book pricing. The one I noticed was my Eternals Omnibus which at one point seemed to be going for £500-600 on Amazon (where I bought it for £20-30) but it has fallen back to £150-170 as they've released a 2-volume softcover collection.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

das

ive been good and saved my comics from when i was young, all board & bagged.  x-men 1-100,  fantastic 4 1-100, virtually everything kirby did for marvel & dc some 18 long boxes of silver age.
plus an entire collection of heavy metal and national lampoon, and epic, and love & rockets and on & on.
and quite a few original art pages from sandman and kirby & ashley wood

BUT the best is;
i have finally completed my prog collection !!!
not easy to do stateside
now im out to get the rest of the megazines.........
Confusion is Better Than Sex

House of Usher

I would guess that, 2000ad aside, the most valuable comic I own is Sandman #1. Quite commonplace.
STRIKE !!!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: das on 23 February, 2010, 02:56:01 AM
ive been good and saved my comics from when i was young, all board & bagged.  x-men 1-100,  fantastic 4 1-100, virtually everything kirby did for marvel & dc some 18 long boxes of silver age.
plus an entire collection of heavy metal and national lampoon, and epic, and love & rockets and on & on.
and quite a few original art pages from sandman and kirby & ashley wood

Chuff me that's quite a collection!

The best I have is probably a first print Bone issue one (Cartoon comics) which had a pretty low print run and became what it became.

Van Dom

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 23 February, 2010, 01:16:34 AM
"A copy of the first comic to feature caped hero Superman has been sold on the internet for $1m (£646,000)."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8529504.stm

No doubt this has been done before round these parts, but what is the most valuable comic you possess?

I have ROM no.1 and The Human Fly no.1.

I have a near complete run of ROM including no.1 as well - is that actually worth something?
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

LARF

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Van Dom on 23 February, 2010, 08:30:59 AM

I have a near complete run of ROM including no.1 as well - is that actually worth something?

A quick check on eBay has ROM one listed between £3-£10s. An almost full set 1-75 and Annual 1, 3,4 is listed at £110. Whether they sell at that price is another matter?

Richmond Clements

Not sure what we have that's valuable... There are some first issues and complete runs of stuff knocking about here. I've a 1st edition Killing Joke signed by John Higgins.

Cthulouis

When my parents got married, one of their friends got them a years subscription to Warrior for a wedding present. The first issue of the subscription (issue 5, if I recall) came with a cover signed by many of the people involved in making it, congratulating them on their special day.

Not of great financial worth, perhaps, but of great sentimental value. 

locustsofdeath!

I've got a Conan the Barbarian #1 in good condition, and a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 first printing.

I found the CtB at a yard sale in the States and picked up TMNT on a whim way back when - and at one point traded it to my brother for some Silver Surfers - and he later traded it back to me for those same Silver Surfers (or rather, decided he wanted his SSs back and had my mom make me return them - I still give him a hard time about that).

TordelBack

Quote from: His Lordship rac on 23 February, 2010, 09:27:52 AM
Not sure what we have that's valuable...

-choke- That may be first opportunity for pimpage I've ever seen his Lordship pass up.

The Monarch

Jla 21 (1963)

The first ever crossover between the jla and jsa!

showcase 4 (1958)

The first ever appearance of barry allen

not really valuable apart from sentimental reasons but I also have a complete run of the 1980s Jli and suicide squad

Richmond Clements

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 February, 2010, 12:47:26 PM
Quote from: His Lordship rac on 23 February, 2010, 09:27:52 AM
Not sure what we have that's valuable...

-choke- That may be first opportunity for pimpage I've ever seen his Lordship pass up.

Agggh! Quick! Where's Cheryl Cole? I need to get my mojo back!

HiEx auction! Star Wars! Cam Kennedy! Judge Dredd! Boo Cook! John Higgins!

Dandontdare

Well the Meg costs a fiver now and I've got a few of those...  :D

For years I thought my 'good' condition prog 1 (minus spacespinner) would continue to get more and more valuable, so that by now I'd be able to sell it on and retire. Not quite! Still it's worth more than the £4.50 I paid a schoolmate for it in about 1983!