Main Menu

Star Wars Episode IX

Started by JOE SOAP, 10 July, 2018, 01:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SIP

Whether there's any truth in it or not, and I'm abstaining from passing opinion, that particular article would have been better off steering clear of its closing comments on IMDB ( look at the user reviews on that site) or rotten tomatoes (where it quotes the critics view of 91%, not the user reviews closer to 40%).

Probably only time will tell how popular it all is.

I can see one angry ranting mob screaming on YouTube that Disney paid for this and it's another PR exercise, and I can see the other angry ranting mob screaming back as a vindication of what they love. I'm avoiding YouTube.

I try to take all online opinion with a pinch of salt now as it's become almost impossible to distinguish from real comment, fake comment and paid-for comment. The relentless hate bombardments really wear you out.

I will just rely on "watch it if it interests me" and "did I like it or not".

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Bear on 02 October, 2018, 01:49:28 PM
Artificially maximising the visibility of negative comments from social regressives is something that has been provably shown to be a marketing tactic by Western media companies, and it's far more likely that Disney hired troll farms themselves in order to get the online left - predominantly young and active on social media - to deliberately adopt a stance in defence of Disney's product.

I like the way you're thinking,  but did Disney really need to do that?  Was SW really that much of a busted flush?   Isn't it more likely to be just one more minor front in the same socially divisive campaign we've been living through since at least the Zoe Quinn affair?

Also,  I don't think that article represents the paper very well - it's a very tight piece of analysis about a very specific group of pro- and anti-Johnson tweets.  Worth a read.

Professor Bear

It's not that Disney needed to do it defensively so much as it's just how things are now done for tentpole US blockbusters - though throwing shade at Nazis has rarely been a high-risk marketing strategy.

The Legendary Shark

Social manipulation has been with us for a very long time. By fermenting binary discussions about popular but essentially irrelevant topics, in this case Star Wars, attention is attracted away from more basic and important questions. It's part of a wider strategy of distraction, illusion and simulacra.

Binary arguments abound; left or right, right or wrong, good or bad, conventional or alternative, for or against, male or female, belief or disbelief, rich or poor, in or out. Nested within each, more binaries; this party or that party, this ruler or that ruler, democracy or fascism, gay or straight, black or white, GB or EUGB. And, again, nested binaries in each. All with one purpose - to maintain the status quo by limiting discourse through all aspects of society.

But it's not 100% effective, of course, because most of us know that many of the binaries presented to us are invalid or make no sense. The binary argument is so pervasive, however, that we are all effected by it in some way. And when we overcome a binary argument, as most here have over this Star Wars question, we feel - rightly - that we have won a small intellectual victory. I think most people here are good at winning these victories, are good at seeing through a lot of binary arguments.

One only has to look at how binary arguments are foisted wholesale on the public by politicians and the msm to understand how human tribalism is being manipulated and why so many people actually believe in the validity of us and them, me and you, mine or yours, love or hate.

I think, or rather I believe, that more and more people are beginning to see through the binary argument, whether it be about Brexit or Star Wars, and thinking for themselves rather than having to choose between two or three presented options. I find this a very hopeful sign.

Star Wars may help to shape a better future for us all. Live long and... Oh shit, my preferences are showing.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

Weirdly, Leia's chief political enemies in the Sequels are apparently called "centrists", who resisted her political maneuvering while insisting that Leia and her Rebels were just as bad as the First Order.  HA HA what a wacky and outlandish concept this centrism is - where the far right is seen as equivalent to not wanting planets to blow up etc

TordelBack

In the surprisingly enjoyable (current c4non)  novel Bloodline, which deals with the political situation between VI and VII,  the 'Centrist' faction are those who want strong centralised authority in the Republic.  So not directly comparable to Chuka Umunna.

auxlen

Sorry if re-posting...but I'm eschewing ep 9...as the last Jedi was a joke.

broodblik

The trailer is out : https://www.newsarama.com/44740-first-star-wars-trailer.html

Title: [spoiler]The Rise of Skywalker[/spoiler]
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

I worry that the good work of Last Jedi might get undone here... which will mean I'll turn into the whining fanboy that the whining fanboys became over Last Jedi.... damn this is all going to get a bit tricky isn't it!

Dandontdare

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 12 April, 2019, 09:08:56 PM
I worry that the good work of Last Jedi might get undone here... which will mean I'll turn into the whining fanboy that the whining fanboys became over Last Jedi.... damn this is all going to get a bit tricky isn't it!
My thoughts exactly.

I'm not a Star Wars guy. I actually have quiet a bit of disdain for it. But I loved TLJ and simply hope the work that movie set up isn't made to go to waste here.

Greg M.

I am not that big a Star Wars person either, but I thought TLJ was one of the worst films I'd seen in ages, even managing to ruin what was actually good about the fairly rubbish TFA, so anything that screws it over is fine by me. That said, I imagine IX will be the usual crappy Abrams rehash and reupholstering job. (As a point of reference for my dubious tastes, I finally saw Solo recently and thought that, despite its flaws, it was easily the best SW film since RotJ.)

JOE SOAP

Not only the Death Star but they're even bringing out the sports-day medals.

broodblik

Lets wait and see, the Disney Star Wars movies have been quite average (except for Rogue One).
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

hippynumber1

Ignoring everything else, that's a terrible title.