Main Menu

Prog 2220 Regened: Earth-Shattering

Started by Tjm86, 20 February, 2021, 04:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Actually, a strip called Cadets with the occasional cameo from young Dredd would probably work a lot better for me. But then perhaps this Dredd is finding an audience. Hard to know, really. (I don't have the right type of youngling here to test these comics on as yet.)

TordelBack

Not got this one yet, so it's more of a general comment, but I think a Class of '79 strip could be a happy middle ground. You keep Joe and Rico in the picture (and Kimble, Gibson, Hunt, Alvin, Raider, Nestor, Wagner, Mills etc, if so inclined), but tell a more general school story with a new character.  Wagner has (repeatedly) shown cadet stories can be great, even if Grant showed they aren't all that easy to pull off.

Despite some glorious art and a few decent stories, the Young [$character] stories are consistently my least favourite part of Regened.

broodblik

If you look at last week's Dredd story I believe such a story can work in the regen prog.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

I would enjoy the Cadet Dredd stories more if they didn't feel like stories in which children seem to be having a fun time on a rowdy school trip, rather than violent brainwashed fascists in mortal peril.

BPP

Quote from: Richard on 23 February, 2021, 03:05:39 PM
I would enjoy the Cadet Dredd stories more if they didn't feel like stories in which children seem to be having a fun time on a rowdy school trip, rather than violent brainwashed fascists in mortal peril.

I'm still baffled by lots of it. I read prog 300-500 era 2000ad when 10-14, who is this stuff for? 8-10 year olds?
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: BPP on 23 February, 2021, 03:26:24 PM
I'm still baffled by lots of it. I read prog 300-500 era 2000ad when 10-14, who is this stuff for? 8-10 year olds?

That era was getting on for forty years ago. As has been noted on these Regened threads before, kids in the 2020s engage with entertainment media very differently from the way you or I did. Two specific examples: they vastly prefer protagonists closer to their own age, and they hate episodic content. There's a shedload of market research to back this up.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

broodblik

What worked yesterday does not work today and I can understand how the regen is setup. I do not mind stories where protagonists is much younger I just do not like it when it is written as "childish".
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

And I want to add that writing a story which can be enjoyed by all everyone irrespective age or gender is the most difficult thing.

BPP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 23 February, 2021, 03:43:29 PM
Quote from: BPP on 23 February, 2021, 03:26:24 PM

That era was getting on for forty years ago. As has been noted on these Regened threads before, kids in the 2020s engage with entertainment media very differently from the way you or I did. Two specific examples: they vastly prefer protagonists closer to their own age, and they hate episodic content. There's a shedload of market research to back this up.

Maybe.

Then again I train kids rugby and they seem exactly like kids I trained with 30 years ago. The 12 year olds of colleagues all love uber-violent computer games and doing what they're not allowed in those game-worlds.

Kids market research rarely convinces me - sanitised, corporate, adult-pressured, monitored.. meh.

A lot of this seems to me to be the exact safe adult-approved content we rejected as kids. Fxxk Dr Snuggles, I want Battle of The Planets.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

IndigoPrime

There's certainly still a place for grittier and somewhat subversive content. But the nature of what's served up isn't going to work if it's a facsimile of 1970s 2000 AD, with its black and white art, episodic nature, and strips full of 30-something white men. 

GordonR

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 23 February, 2021, 05:32:40 PM
There's certainly still a place for grittier and somewhat subversive content. But the nature of what's served up isn't going to work if it's a facsimile of 1970s 2000 AD, with its black and white art, episodic nature, and strips full of 30-something white men.

SpaceWarp is 71.

Tjm86

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 23 February, 2021, 09:20:25 AM
Of all the Rebellion announcements this year, the lack of a Cor/Buster special is, for me, the biggest blow. Sure, we can all revel in nostalgia and get excited about seeing an old brand on the newsstands again [...] Tammy/Jinty stuff smart, and although girls are now better catered for with The Beano and The Phoenix, the emphasis remains with male-led strips. But it's in that younger audience I'd love to see a breakthrough rather than the existing sea of plastic shit that populates the newsagent shelves.

In our household the Cor / Buster and Tammy / Jinty specials were absolutely lapped up by our youngest.  She can't get enough of anything Rebellion put out based around these ones.

So I'd say it's less a 'blow' and more a grievous mistake to sideline these two whilst trying to draw in a new audience.  Then again if it's a case of not being too sure what is going to be happening on the high street for the rest of the year then I suppose I can understand (whilst still raging against it!)

IndigoPrime

Comics need huge lead times. I imagine Rebellion has suffered a serious kicking for an entire year now. To head into 2021 with a huge range of specials would be reckless in the extreme. So I'd still go for it being a blow rather than a previous mistake. It's not like I imagine the company wants to cut things back so heavily; but even then, we don't know what was and wasn't a good seller. (I personally hope Cor/Buster did well, but who knows?)

oshii

Thought this was the strongest regene so far.   Particularly liked S-Club Rogue Trooper.   More of that, please.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Here's a thought...

Do you think the prog would ever be replaced by Re-Gened, with regular/historic stuff folded into the Meg?
Lock up your spoons!