Main Menu

Paul Marshall or Brett Ewins - Artists Ryder Cup Current vs Classic - Tie 12

Started by Colin YNWA, 18 May, 2021, 06:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

I said Patrick Goddard is for me one of the great under-appreciated talents of 2000ad and here we have another in the Current Team. Paul Marshall has knocked it out the park time and again over a long career. I think the fact that he grounds even the most astonishing John Smith script maybe undersells his talent, as he seeming;y effortless sells us the reality of the surreal world Tharg brings us? So how will he fare against a fan favourite, who took down no lesser light than Dave Gibbons on his way to the Quarter Finals in the Classic side of the art tourney? Can this be anything other than a classic win?

Time for you to decide your favourite as the droids square up to the tee...

Paul Marshall - more info

OR

Brett Ewins - more info

Remember for this tourney you have 5 votes to distribute as you please between these two artists, whole numbers only. So you can vote 5 - 0; 4 - 1; or 3 - 2; either way depending on how much more you like one artist's work over the other.

If you can't be doing with that just name your favourite - remember bold tags, or other ways of highlighting always appreciated - and I'll give them 3 votes and nowt to the other droid.

Three day votes, so this one ends morning of Friday 21st May

Remember we only consider work for Tharg in these Tourneys

What the heck is all this about - well we have a thread for that

How does this new voting work? Look here and why again?

I don't understand how this works, what are the rules of the Ryder Cup - yep got ya covered there too

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up. Most importantly have fun!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

Paul has delivered so much solid work over the years, including, as has been stated, many collaborations with John Smith. I prefer Brett's earlier detailed work on Rogue, but that's not to detract from how incredibly he brought Bad Company to life in collaboration with Jim McCarthy.

Paul Marshall 3, Brett Ewins 2.

TordelBack

Marshall drew one of the all-time greatest strips in Firekind, and brings clarity, design and class to everything he works on. A storytelling machine, often at his best when his work just exudes fun (Ulysses Sweet, for example).

However no single artist better defines my early engagement with, and mental image of, the prog than Brett Ewins. From Rogue through Dredd and Anderson to the glorious Bad Company, his vibrantly graphic style, unique chunky tech and cheeky bricolage approach was exactly what my brain craved. O'Neill, McMahon, Eqzquerra, Bellardinelli, they were the artistic behemoths that took my breath away, but Brett (and Ron Smith, and Steve Dillon) were of the '80s moment, and could be neatly homaged in the margins of a Maths copy.

So I'm afraid it's Brett 4 : Paul 1.

Magnetica

BPP

Ewins devotion to stylistics just edged out the joyful world building touches of Marshall 3-2
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Tomwe

For Marshall, I'm only really a fan of Firekind. Ewins wins for vintage loveliness.

Paul Marshall - 1

Brett Ewins - 4

AlexF

Like Torelback, I'm another Squaxx who came of age when Ewins was THE artist to copy into the margins of my schoolwork. Hard to compete with that, even if you did paint the magnificent Firekind (and Ive a soft spot for Ulysses Sweet - although funnily enough, I wonder if Brett Ewins might have been a good choice for that series, had he been alive).

Anyway, it's yet another Ewins 4, Marshall 1 here.

rogue69

milstar

Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

paddykafka

Rogue Judge

Ewins 4, Marshall 1

When I was getting into 2000AD I didn't fully appreciate Ewins compared to the other classic artists I was encountering. However, Bad Company changed all that for me and he's become one of my favorites.

Dog Deever

Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Colin YNWA

GET YA VOTES IN!!!! GET YA VOTES IN!!!!

This one has been really quiet compared to other votes and with only today to go we need more action here before I count up first thing tomorrow morning. So if you've not voted you have today to do so.

So speaking of such I better do the same ... and maybe the reason this is so shallow on votes is its a tough one. I'm really struggling. Tordelback for what its worth sometimes I hate myself for these draws too. Brett Ewins at his peak is one of my all time favourites, but there is a lot of work under that. A lot. Paul Marshal is mister consistent to me. Never any less than good, very good, but rarely great. So do you reward moments of brilliance, or a consistancy over time which is hard to match?

I guess on balance the fact that Brett Ewins didn't sustain that greatness means his legacy will always be one of what ifs and on that basis

Paul Marshall 3 : Brett Ewins 2