Main Menu

Recent posts

General / Re: New Romance* comic from Re...
Last post by IndigoPrime - Today at 11:00:28 PM
I think I'd like to draw a line on this now. I'm considering what to do about the thread but I'm likely to splice it so the Kickstarter thread won't just be people arguing. If maybe below can just be a discussion about the Kickstarter, that would be good.
Last post by Jim_Campbell - Today at 10:58:48 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on Today at 10:38:38 PMI'm supposed to calmly and gently try to get to know someone who haphazardly throws a Piskor-bomb into the middle of a thread that started out as enthusiasm for a new project.

I have friends directly affected/involved in/by that clusterfuck, so spare me your outrage. You're clearly spoiling for a fight. Just dial it down a bit — this isn't the 1990s any more.
Last post by Funt Solo - Today at 10:38:38 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on Today at 07:35:59 PMI have no idea why you're being quite this confrontational

It's because this was going unanswered:

Quote from: BPP on Today at 01:55:39 AMthe let's pile on Ed Piskor mob

You can call it a red flag, and me the bull if you like. From my perspective, everything else is hand-waving, noise and conveniently feigned indignity. It is rather rich that I'm supposed to calmly and gently try to get to know someone who haphazardly throws a Piskor-bomb into the middle of a thread that started out as enthusiasm for a new project.

But, I was serious earlier - hands up and give up - mods can decide if they need to reprimand my salt.
Last post by Jim_Campbell - Today at 09:51:39 PM
Quote from: nxylas on Today at 09:28:47 PMmay not have been the actual word I used.

"Stomm"...?
Last post by nxylas - Today at 09:28:47 PM
Quote from: The Monarch on Today at 09:14:50 PMno kidding i look at some of my earlier posts and just cringe
When somebody put a bunch of old Fantasy Advertisers up online, my first thought was "Oh Grud*, that means my old letters to them are going to resurface".

*=may not have been the actual word I used.
Last post by M.I.K. - Today at 09:27:39 PM
Quote from: BPP on Today at 08:52:58 PMFunny, Quick Look at your post history shows you perfectly happy to critique the professional output of thousands of creatives. From 2000ad logo designers, to the makers of torchwood and Star Trek and on...

You even have one expansive set of posts talking about how Tharg slagged of many of his own works and so readers should be allowed to do the same.

Which is of course entirely reasonable.

Jesus... A "quick" look? How far back did you trawl through my posts?

Regardless, critiquing something is an entirely different thing to saying "this thing's crap" then not giving a reason why.

If I remember correctly, (and it was a hell of a while ago), I did not say that readers should be allowed to slag off 2000ad stories, I was making the point that if the readers had seen the same behaviour within the pages of the comic, then it shouldn't be surprising if they acted in the same way.

I'm going to guess that anything I said about Torchwood, (18 years ago, incidentally), stemmed mainly from the extremely questionable elements that rankled with me such as justification of, (a completely unnecessary), suicide, a plot involving a "lovable rogue" main character using what amounted to an alien date rape drug, every main character getting off with every other main character regardless of stated sexual preference or relationship status, and that nonsensical Cyberwoman episode, which seemed to have borrowed every single plot element from Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, (which did it better). But yes, I gave my reasons.

No idea what the hell I could've said about Star Trek unless it was a joke about the original being far superior because somebody with my surname was in charge.

No idea what I could've said about a logo unless it was the original Megazine one being way too big, (which it definitely was).
Last post by The Monarch - Today at 09:14:50 PM
no kidding i look at some of my earlier posts and just cringe
Last post by Jim_Campbell - Today at 09:07:35 PM
Quote from: M.I.K. on Today at 08:14:49 PMeverything about the wording of BPP's comments would still have my back up to precisely the same degree

To be clear: I'm not defending BPP's position here. I disagree with it, but Funt's posts are calculated to be inflammatory and combative and leap to a conclusion that BPP's own words here don't support. A more constructive engagement might have led to the same conclusion but going straight to the most fighty mode helps no one and gets us nowhere. It just puts us in trenches lobbing grenades at each other, and I'm so very, very tired of it.

This is (alledgedly) the "friendliest place on the internet". In my experience, that's not true... but maybe we ought to try a little bit harder to make it that way.

I appreciate the irony of the fact that I, of all people, should be saying this, but none of us is the same person we were five, ten, or twenty years ago. You've got more chance of changing someone's mind by engaging with them than you have by beating them with a stick.*

*Except Nazis, obviously. Find the biggest stick you can for Nazis. That, or shoot them in the nuts.
Books & Comics / Re: Completely Self-absorbed T...
Last post by Le Fink - Today at 09:05:41 PM
Hmmm Black Hammer. Is it making the list Colin? I didn't make it past the first series because of the way it went a bit up its own arsehole. The journey up to that point was pretty good. I was wondering about picking it up again as there has been quite a bit more, and it generally reviews well. I need a write-up, Colin!
Last post by BPP - Today at 08:52:58 PM
Funny, Quick Look at your post history shows you perfectly happy to critique the professional output of thousands of creatives. From 2000ad logo designers, to the makers of torchwood and Star Trek and on...

You even have one expansive set of posts talking about how Tharg slagged of many of his own works and so readers should be allowed to do the same.

Which is of course entirely reasonable.