Main Menu

Rules/expected behaviour at conventions

Started by Colin Zeal, 12 January, 2011, 11:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Zeal

Mods: Wasn't sure if I should put this here or in help so feel free to move if you think it best.

This year will see me attending my first con since I was a teenager, and will be the first time I approach any droids for sketches. I was wondering what the general form for doing this is. Is there a generally accepted size of pad that I should bring along? I'm not planning on bringing an A3 book but is A5 the "right" one? Are there any other general things I should know about the process?

thanks.

Richmond Clements

Get really steaming drunk and make an utter knob of yourself by drawing 'hilarious' 'comedy' cocks and spliffs on any sketch you're asked for... or perhaps that's just Simon Bisley?

Otherwise- no rules really! I've got an A4 pad, although I haven't got a sketch in it for ages.
Expect to queue for the more famous chaps, although sometimes you'll get lucky. Some of them charge for a sketch- although some (I had named one here, but removed it in case they don't want it mentioned in public) donate this money to charity.

Proudhuff

Check the Cosplay thread for the dress code.
DDT did a job on me

davethomson

Best thing I learned about getting sketches off the artists, ask for truly absurd sketches like Hellboy riding a giant gerbil or Superman washing dishes. That usually gets them interested enough to produce some cracking good (and entirely unique) sketches.

Everything I know about life, I learnt from old school hip-hop. Don't sweat the technique!

HOO-HAA

I remember at last year's World Horror Con they had a workshop on 'how to behave at a convention' and it really got my goat up. For God's sake do this:

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 12 January, 2011, 11:39:54 AM
Get really steaming drunk and make an utter knob of yourself

... or something similar. AKA relax, enjoy yourself and give a very wide birth to anyone who wants to tell you 'how to behave'.

TordelBack

Insist on an invoice for each sketch, and get a receipt.  Otherwise how will the artists be able to explain this income on their tax returns? 

Bolt-01

Also, if it is an actual droid you are visiting, make sure you have a copy of Zarjaz, Dogbreath or other title that they can sign for you...

And if you don't have a copy, see me :)

pauljholden

Any size of sketchbook is acceptable, but many of them will balk if they see A3 (it's also a pain in the arse to drag around).

Make sure the paper is a decent thickness and have a bit of hard card between sheets in case an artist (as many do) use a thick marker that bleeds.

If you want a themed sketchbook then get some reference of the character you want sketched (even if it's Dredd) - and keep a couple of copies of the reference (you may accidentally lose it the first day).

MOST artists will charge, this is because, for them, signing/sketching is how they justify the expense of a convention - many artists will work through weekends and evenings so a comic con means losing out on some substantial income (and if they have their own table, they've probably paid for that too).

Say hello and try and be chatting and make friends with people in queues - don't be afraid to ask to see someone else's sketchbook - this stuff is much better shared.

See ya!

-pj

Colin Zeal

Thanks for the advice everyone. It was mainly the stuff on approaching droids that I was unclear on. I'm already worried that I will may lose the ability to talk with some artists and will just stand there dribbling while they ask what I would like.

Spaceghost

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 12 January, 2011, 01:55:47 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. It was mainly the stuff on approaching droids that I was unclear on. I'm already worried that I will may lose the ability to talk with some artists and will just stand there dribbling while they ask what I would like.

I was worried about looking a prat when I went to my first con a couple of years ago. The only advice I can give is to take the opportunity to talk to your favourite droids. Most arty types are clever, articulate sorts and they'll appreciate a bit of a chin wag rather than having someone standing, wordlessly in front of them while they complete a sketch.

Unless I've completely misread the situation and they were all just wishing I'd shut up and fuck off.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Dandontdare

If you pause at a table and the over-enthusiastic stallholder thrusts a comic into your hands, don't assume it's a freebie and just say thanks and walk off (as I did once to my embarrassment!)

Bolt-01

Lee, you hit the nail on the head there. I had an absolutely fantastic chat with Simon Fraser at Hi-Ex last whilst he sketched for me. A really nice chap- and very articulate, too.

HdE

Only advice I can offer is: If in doubt about approaching folks whose work you admire, it may be best to wait until everybody hits the bar and things are a little more relaxed.

This worked for me at my first convention last year. I actually budgeted a huge sum for drinkie-poohz, knowing that it was my best chance to get into conversation with folks. Some of the artists were even willing to doodle stuff as they sat in an easy chair with a pint. If the event lasts for a coupel of days, get in witht he beer quick, and you'll likely be remembered the following day.

Beyond that, just try very hard not to behave like an absolute knob-rocker. I doubt you'll have a problem with that, Colin. :)

Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

SmallBlueThing

Write a twelve panel 2 or 3 page dredd script. Keep each panel description simple.
Approach each individual artist you admire. When they ask what you'd like, casually describe a panel of your script.
When you get home, paste it all together and letter it.
Hang it on your wall.
Masturbate.

SBT

TordelBack

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 12 January, 2011, 05:50:38 PM
Write a twelve panel 2 or 3 page dredd script. Keep each panel description simple.
Approach each individual artist you admire. When they ask what you'd like, casually describe a panel of your script.
When you get home, paste it all together and letter it.
Hang it on your wall.
Masturbate.

But very definitely in that order.  Unless you're short on paste.