Main Menu

Folklore Thursday: Island

Started by pauljholden, 18 July, 2019, 11:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

Not said much about these lately - but they are great - I'm really enjoying the side reading too.

pauljholden

maryanddavid

Bolt-01

Aye, we've been spoiled by PJ lately.

broodblik

Must agree great stuff. Thank you PJ
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Woolly

I'm absolutely loving these, but can't help but think that some are missing a second page!
(Not a criticism - I just want more  ;))

pauljholden

Thanks all, just uploaded another on to the patreon, if you're a subscriber at patreon.com/holdenreppion you can read it right now.

After that there are 10 more to go, then that's the end of year 1! Slightly astonished we're that close to the end...

pauljholden

Bolt-01

beautifully textured, thanks gents!

pauljholden

M.I.K.

That's reminded me of a story that went around my primary school in the 1980s that some Mars bars were poisonous because they contained monkeys' brains or possibly rat poison and you could tell the ones that had the monkeys' brains/rat poison in because they were marked with an 'X'.

This led to at least a couple of children at my school going into shops and intentionally attempting to score crosses into the bars through the wrappers to freak people out.

I vaguely remember news stories at the time about Mars carrying out animal testing and had assumed that the playground rumour was a garbled version of the real story, but it seems that it wasn't all that garbled.

In 1984, the Animal Liberation Front claimed to various media outlets that they'd injected Mars bars across the country with rat poison. Some police forces received some of these supposedly contaminated Mars bars, some of which were marked with a large cross...

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1984/nov/19/confectionery-poisoning

Rately

That's brilliant!

My gran terrorised us about chewing gum. I still worry.

M.I.K., that is absolutely bonkers. The thought of the food chain being infected is a longstanding Urban Myth generator, then you read about the Tylenol Killer and its clear so many of these Urban Myths come about as bastardisations of real events.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: M.I.K. on 29 May, 2020, 04:28:34 AM
In 1984, the Animal Liberation Front claimed to various media outlets that they'd injected Mars bars across the country with rat poison.

Leading to the (rather good, I thought) joke about Mars, Bringer of Warfarin.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mardroid

I was (and still sometimes am) one of those kids who ate the entire apple, pips and all.

I never came across the tree growing myth, although a Canadian lodger starting with us for me it could mess up my stomach.

I didn't know that pips contained trace amounts of hydrogen cyanide either. Yikes!

Funt Solo

Wait - so swallowing chewing gum isn't bad for you?

---

Three seconds of research later: "large amounts of swallowed gum combined with constipation have blocked intestines in children". But mostly it just comes out in your poo.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++