Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 11 January, 2013, 12:39:28 PM
I don't think that dismissing the U.S. Constitution just because it's old is a valid argument

Nor is elevating it to the level of divine revelation, or using it to rule on the specifics of matters its writers could not possibly have foreseen.

The Legendary Shark

Agreed. All laws, including "thou shalt not kill" are merely guides, rules of thumb. If laws were perfect and life was uncomplicated and black & white we wouldn't need courts, juries, police or legislators at all. Things like the U.S. Constitution, our own Magna Carta or even the Ten Commandments are simply foundations; good places to start.

In the end event, laws are simply what people decide they are and everyone has a right to break them just as everyone else has the right to uphold them.

The example "thou shalt not kill" was my (clumsy) attempt to point out one of the basic laws of human society which has, over the centuries, been written in many forms and languages around the world and is a law that the overwhelming majority of people that I know would never break whether it was written down or not - an innate human law, if you will. A good place to start.

It was certainly not my intention to elevate the U.S. Constitution, or any other human law for that matter, to divine status and I apologise if I gave that impression.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Spikes

Ancient Otter

A malware program may have stealing classified documents for the last five years.

So France decides to act in Africa by launching airstrikes in Mali and assisting the army there and launching a ill-fated commando rescue raid into Somalia. The RAF are sending material support to Mali and according to the U.K. Government Mali is a concern to the U.K., so might the British army be part of a E.U. army group that will be going there later in the year?

The Legendary Shark

You just know things are bad when even the French are scrapping. We'll only know that things are *really* bad when they start running away...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Ancient Otter

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 14 January, 2013, 11:43:00 PMWe'll only know that things are *really* bad when they start running away...

A reference to their withdrawal of forces from Afghanistan?

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 14 January, 2013, 11:43:00 PM
You just know things are bad when even the French are scrapping. We'll only know that things are *really* bad when the Germans get started.

FTFY
You may quote me on that.

COMMANDO FORCES

There's a reason that French forces were put out of harms way during the first Gulf War, you can't trust the buggers! Just look at a certain European conflict not long ago and what they got up to and I'm not talking both world wars!
The only part of the French armed forces that is any good is made up of foreigners :lol:

Mike Carroll

A warning: certain recent comments on this thread have been reported. Please exercise restraint and consideration when making comments about other nationalities!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

Molch-R

I suggest that this conversation ends right now.

Beaky Smoochies

... or the entire thread for that matter...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

JOE SOAP

Molch-R

I've turned a blind eye to this thread for some time, as it was boisterous but contained. Please be aware that the situation has now changed. Posts of an offensive nature will result in temporary bans. If you don't understand what is offensive and what is not then I suggest you back away from your keyboard.