Main Menu

Prog 2200 - Beyond The Frontiers Of Future Fiction!

Started by Goosegash, 19 September, 2020, 11:51:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modern Panther

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 20 September, 2020, 05:06:40 PM
One of the Facebook groups that often has people complaining that 2000 AD isn't as good as it was in the old days and that all new series suck now has people busy complaining about 2000 AD "rehashing" old ideas, even though after one episode we have literally no idea how the new Hookjaw is going to play out.

You can't please some people.

I think universal love for The Out disproves this.

Professor Bear

Pretty enthusiastic response to Hookjaw's return, too, as well as some pretty shameless and enthusiastic pimping for the independent work of certain droids.

Quote from: The Monarch on 20 September, 2020, 05:36:20 PM
and thats why i avoid those fb groups like the plague.

Say what you will about the FB groups, but when I cross-posted that exact same joke over on one of them, it was taken as a joke, and not a personal insult.

Goosegash

Quote from: Richard on 20 September, 2020, 05:59:17 PM
Hook-jaw looks [spoiler]humanoid to me. His shadow looks like a head and shoulders, and he seems to have a human nose.[/spoiler] So it may be a very different story to what went before.

I think you might be right, they've established [spoiler]the Hookjaw in Action is a fictional retelling of the actual events which leaves a lot of leeway to take the character in a different direction.[/spoiler]

IndigoPrime

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 20 September, 2020, 07:06:37 PMI think universal love for The Out disproves this.
I don't see how. It's not like I was tarring everyone with the same brush.

Bolt-01

I really enjoyed that. The whole thing. Thought Leigh knocked it out of the park on Hookjaw and really looking forward to seeing where he and Alec take this. I'd love for it to be a flying devil shark! Fintastic!

Barrington Boots

Really enjoyed this prog. [spoiler]Hookjaw[/spoiler] especially looked absolutely fantastic, that last page is the stuff of nightmares.

The shock ending to this weeks [spoiler]Sin/Dex is exactly what I want from 2000AD and I'm keen to see how the strip continues now. Whilst I've never disliked seeing it in the prog I've had the feeling for a while that the status quo had run out of gas a while back and this certainly shakes things up. There's loads of possibilities for where it goes from here and I'll be disappointed if this is retconned.[/spoiler]

Very much looking forward to more Constanta next week as well. Tiernan Trevallions pop-eyed giant bat vampires were amazing back in the last story with Black Max.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

Holy funt.

The Prog just dropped and I've been avoiding things refering to it here and elsewhere since I picked up early Saturday that something big happened in [spoiler]Sinister Dexter[/spoiler]. So as soon as it landed I went straight to. Read it and...

... well I was expecting big, but not that. [spoiler]Tracy biting the bullet[/spoiler] was bad enough, but then that finale... well wow... Already thinking of ways it will eventually be rolled back, but damn. I'd said this story was having its flow interrupted, but this, this is just cruel now!

Professor Bear

There's only so many times we could post "I wish this fucking thing would just end" before it got back to Dan and he called our bluff.

Bolt-01

I'm thinking we've met the AI controlling things before.

Remember a whole bushel of years ago when Ray & Finny helped a program that spoke to them through motorway signage (In a move rather reminiscent of the film LA Story with Steve Martin)? Well, where is that program now?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 21 September, 2020, 04:00:02 PM
I'm thinking we've met the AI controlling things before.

Remember a whole bushel of years ago when Ray & Finny helped a program that spoke to them through motorway signage (In a move rather reminiscent of the film LA Story with Steve Martin)? Well, where is that program now?

That would be call back!

Not sure what's happening with the cover. When I saw it in the solicitations some time back I was very excited to read the strip that went with it. Alas it would appear not,

Anyway to things fantastic. And this Prog is. I mean I will not get over Sinister Dexter which is clearly the funtin' best thing in the Prog. I mean I don't really think they've done that for keeps (I worry that [spoiler]Tracy[/spoiler] might be gone for good mind) but they played it straight enough to make it feel like it was a sticker.

Dredd was great. I mean yes we've done the whole not what he was before thing plenty of times before but this worked really well and then that ending was very, very intriguing. I wonder if the writing partnership is going to be based on the idea of Rob Williams being the telly show runner. He sets the premise and ideas someone else delivers. Utter speculation on my part, looking forward to how this one develops though.

Future Shocks I was taken by it was all a bit hollow and the shock of I didn't like those folks and so after a string of fairly random events I stuck it to them. Good art mind.

Hookjaw. Colour me intrigued this one is all set up and mystery but its got me... you ready... its got me... you really ready... its got me.... yeah I'm really going to do this... its got me HOOKED. Did you see what I did there.

Oh and didn't Mr biten in half do well to get those final words out!

Skip Tracer well its a decent start, but this strip has done that before and only really landed it once. We'll see how it goes though but can't fault this opening. Oh and nice Sinister Dexter tribute given what happened this week... that is Polly Anna right?

Stickleback Well its nice that Ian Edginton apologises for the delay in getting this too us and a good recap to get us back up to speed while giving us the connection to Holmes and bish bash bosh big glowly energy eyes thing in the middle of the city to pull us immediately into now (story now that is). Great job.

All this plus more Hershey to come (I'm very much in the Pro-Hershey camp) an ad for Fiends coming back to boost the lineup next week - no Slaine mind for those waiting for it poor Tharg does seem to be having traffic control issues but he's still supplying the goods.

Art

. I wonder if the writing partnership is going to be based on the idea of Rob Williams being the telly show runner. He sets the premise and ideas someone else delivers.

Nope.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Art on 21 September, 2020, 11:30:40 PM
. I wonder if the writing partnership is going to be based on the idea of Rob Williams being the telly show runner. He sets the premise and ideas someone else delivers.

Nope.

Arh well.

sixmo

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 21 September, 2020, 09:00:56 PM
Skip Tracer well its a decent start, but this strip has done that before and only really landed it once. We'll see how it goes though but can't fault this opening. Oh and nice Sinister Dexter tribute given what happened this week... that is Polly Anna right?

Wait, wait, wait, does this mean that yer man in Skip Tracer (Skip? Mr. Tracer? this story really has left very little impact in my mind) is really Sinister? Is Johnny Skip an anagram of Malone, or Dracula written backwards? Usually they make the switcheroo story a little less low key. I'm afraid that Skip Tracer has not engaged me much compared to the other stories and I'm sure some big stuff has happened, but it just hasn't forced itself into my consciousness.

Really enjoyed the other stories this week by the way. 

Professor Bear

As was clearly established in part 274 of the last Skip Tracer series, the lead character of Skip Tracer - Gary Tracer - prefers to be called Gary, as "Mr Tracer" is what people call his father.  His father works as a comic book inker, so it's not meant as a compliment.