Main Menu

Prog 2200 - Beyond The Frontiers Of Future Fiction!

Started by Goosegash, 19 September, 2020, 11:51:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Really enjoyed this prog.

Already I have to say I like this type of Dredd better than the scary monster mega-epic that came before.  Slow-burning, low-key and menacing, with just the right amount of politics going on behind the scenes (though I'm not a huge fan of Rob's judge dialogue, all the 'drokkin's' and 'stomms' take me back to the Ennis days).

Really enjoyed Stickleback; despite a nagging sense of deja vu - I know the Moriarty fight scene is in the original stories, but I knew I'd seen it in a comic before.  ([spoiler]League of Extraordinary Gentlemen[/spoiler], that is.)  I actually prefer the strip now we know who the main man really is - it adds a whole new layer of interest.

Sin / Dex - yeah, it was a bit of a shock, but to be honest I'm just expecting another SinDex reset.  I really thought in the past that Dexter was paralyzed and that that skeleton story was a sort of omen of their imminent end, but everything just went back to normal and I'm guessing we'll get something similar this time.

[spoiler]Hookjaw[/spoiler] was a very nice surprise - I don't know what the hell's going on but it's great fun, and reminds me very much of the Old Greg episode of the Boosh.

I have to confess I groaned to see another Hershey series - her death scene was perfect, and I wish this would just go the way of the resurrected Pa, Junior and Link.

Haven't read the rest but like I say, a quality prog to go with the Megazine's new lease of life.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Professor Bear

In no particular order:
Dredd felt like we've been here before, so it'll be interesting seeing how they put a new spin on this, though I don't think "funding education" is going to turn out as planned, as the last few years have made it painfully clear that even highly-educated people can still be complete fucking dumbasses.
Skip Tracer is a masterpiece example of praxis and as a communist myself, I fully endorse the practice of expending the minimal amount of effort necessary to reap the rewards of capitalism, and that is what Skip Tracer does.  Someone needs to have a word with the artists, though, because they're clearly putting in actual effort and we don't want them going up against a wall with all the landlords when the Glorious Day comes.
Slaine is long past its prime and full of David Ickian conspiracy theori
It kind of felt like Stickleback didn't really join the dots between "Sherlock Holmes" and "supervillain", it just sort of says he did one thing one day, then did another the next.  As readers, why are we still reading about Stickleback when we know he's just Sherlock Holmes in a funny hat?  How are we supposed to go back to investing in the fiction within the fiction?  I guess we'll see.
Adventures Of Land Shark looks like it's either going to be very, very silly and bad, or very, very silly and good.  On the slim chance there are actual OG Hookjaw fans coming to the prog for this alone, I am curious what they'll make of it.
Sinister Dexter - I think my problem with this was the same one that others have experienced: it doesn't convince me that events will hold as this strip has simply been going for so darn long and gone down so many story paths already that the "endings" it's done in the past have been much more satisfying than this one - it really didn't seem like killing his best friend of forty years was that much of an imposition on Ramone.  Maybe like the rest of us he can't believe it's finally over.

A decent enough prog.  I liked that it was a good mix of things, though as a jumping-on point I cannot say if it made newcomers feel they were sufficiently up-to-speed with everything by the end and hadn't missed much in the other two thousand one hundred and ninety-nine issues.

broodblik

Here are a few possibilities for [spoiler]Sin/Dex future:

1.   Finnigan is really gone, done, and dusted and Dexter continues with the story
2.   With the story continuing Dexter do destroy the AI but, in the process, also expires thus this is really the end
3.   Finnigan was replaced but is still alive and helps to destroy the AI
4.   After the AI is destroyed the world resets again
5.   Finnigan wakes up in a shower and recalls this vivid dream
6.   Add your own theory here[/spoiler]
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

wedgeski

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 23 September, 2020, 09:57:08 PM
Really enjoyed Stickleback; despite a nagging sense of deja vu - I know the Moriarty fight scene is in the original stories, but I knew I'd seen it in a comic before.  ([spoiler]League of Extraordinary Gentlemen[/spoiler], that is.)  I actually prefer the strip now we know who the main man really is - it adds a whole new layer of interest.
It's Game of Shadows that popped into my head when I read that.

TordelBack

I still think the Holmes conflation was a bit of a misstep to take with such a wonderful and original villainous character, and I wonder if Ian regretted it (hence the massive gap). However, with this current episode selling it as a broken Holmes rebuilding himself after Reichenbach makes it quite an appealing idea in itself. A distorted Holmes for a twisted world isn't a bad premise.

JimmyNailz

Quote from: Richard on 20 September, 2020, 05:59:17 PM
Hook-jaw looks [spoiler]humanoid to me. His shadow looks like a head and shoulders, and he seems to have a human nose.[/spoiler] So it may be a very different story to what went before.

[spoiler]Hookjaw/Shako hybrid is my guess. SHAKJAW![/spoiler]

JimmyNailz

Quote from: broodblik on 24 September, 2020, 05:56:11 AM
Here are a few possibilities for [spoiler]Sin/Dex future:

1.   Finnigan is really gone, done, and dusted and Dexter continues with the story
2.   With the story continuing Dexter do destroy the AI but, in the process, also expires thus this is really the end
3.   Finnigan was replaced but is still alive and helps to destroy the AI
4.   After the AI is destroyed the world resets again
5.   Finnigan wakes up in a shower and recalls this vivid dream
6.   Add your own theory here[/spoiler]

7. Finnigan's consciousness is still alive within the AI and manages to overcome it, with the help of Dex, just when all everything seems lost and then they Thelma and Louise it to a FULL ending.

paddykafka

Quote from: JimmyNailz on 24 September, 2020, 11:27:48 AM
Hook-jaw looks [spoiler]humanoid to me. His shadow looks like a head and shoulders, and he seems to have a human nose.[/spoiler] So it may be a very different story to what went before.

Or HookPAW?

Greg M.

The Monarch

Almost wanna make a sealab 2021 reference but i dunno if anyone would get it

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JimmyNailz on 24 September, 2020, 11:27:48 AM

Aw, not the bloody [spoiler]polar bear [/spoiler]again.  He's already outstaying his welcome a bit.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Professor Bear

Killer Shark from the Harley Quinn cartoon show, the Flash tv series, and at least three of the recent DCAU movies would be a more contemporary point of reference, but if you want to go geek, there's about a dozen cartoon shows from the 1980s featuring humanoid sharks before you even get to actual franchises based on the premise of humanoid aminuls amnimals fish people like Street Sharks.

Link Prime

Quote from: Greg M. on 24 September, 2020, 11:44:20 AM
Surely just Sharko?

A cantankerous, grizzled creature from a bygone era, wantonly attacking vessels with capitalist and commercial interests.

Could be some kinda...Legendary Shark 

*Stares at camera 3*

Professor Bear

Ugh I only just twigged the Innsmouth inferences in Hookjaw.

Colin YNWA