Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judge Cassidy

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 22 November, 2009, 07:39:05 PM
I finished Damnation Alley today. What a great book.

You should watch the film, I love it. I mean, it's pretty much a B-movie, but it's good fun. Plus you get John 'Hannibal Smith' AND Stringfellow Hawke together in the same film, driving a huge armoured truck! And the classic line:

"This whole town is infested with killer cockroaches, repeat, KILLER COCKROACHES!!"
In this city, Justice comes at a price- that price is FREEDOM!

stacey

Just finished reading vol 2 of The DMZ it was awesome, I enjoyed it much more than vol 1 but wonder if it was because I read it straight after reading Little Brother by Corey Doctorow, so the idea of the USA being in civil war seemed almost too real.  Both of these are awesome and very recommended reads.  I have now just started reading Jasmyn by Alex Bell which is a modern and very creepy and well written fairy story which I am enjoying very much, hope the quality keeps up throughout the book.

Mike Gloady

DMZ is a cracking read.  Only read the first three TPBs, but they're ace.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Mardroid

At the moment I'm reading the second book of The Wheel of Time: The Great Hunt.
I've read all the series before but I'm ploughing my way through in preparation for when I get the new book, The Gathering Storm. It's a shame Robert Jordan died before completing the last book, but he left lots of notes (and written sections.) so I'm hoping the new chap did him proud. I've heard mixed things, but largely positive.

Speaking of series of books, where the original author died, I grabbed And Another Thing from the library a couple of weeks back. I'm surprised it even turned up that early! I've yet to read it though. (I'm not keen on reading two books at once.)

Kerrin

Quote from: Mardroid on 22 November, 2009, 11:30:08 PM
At the moment I'm reading the second book of The Wheel of Time: The Great Hunt.
I've read all the series before but I'm ploughing my way through in preparation for when I get the new book, The Gathering Storm.

You're a stronger man than me Mardroid, I managed to get to halfway through the sixth book before I lost the will to carry on.

Roger Godpleton

Reading some of the Krazy Kat kollections again. Every panel is a work of art.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Mardroid

Quote from: Kerrin on 23 November, 2009, 07:38:24 AM
You're a stronger man than me Mardroid, I managed to get to halfway through the sixth book before I lost the will to carry on.

Heh. I know what you mean. I read some of the middle books feeling that the story hadn't moved on much despite how much had happened. That being said I still enjoyed them, and rather like the subplots and the world as a whole.

Darren Stephens

Just started to read "The Exterminators", drawn by the excellent Tony Moore. Anyone else read it? Seems cool so far.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

TordelBack

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 24 November, 2009, 07:07:27 PM
Just started to read "The Exterminators", drawn by the excellent Tony Moore. Anyone else read it? Seems cool so far.

Read the first TPB, really enjoyed it.  Waiting on the library to get more in...

mechanix81

I've been reading 100 Bullets, an issue a day. Just read issue 89. Long, hard slog, and it's no easier to follow. Still, I love it so...
Dawn of the first day. 72 hours remain.

Mardroid

I'm reading The House of M at the moment. It's ok, [spoiler]although that little psychic girl turning up out of nowhere seemed a little too convenient. On saying that, I wonder if there is a twist concerning her later which explains that.

My theory is that she is an aspect of the Scarlet Witches personality, a sane part that's aware of what's going on. Wanda isn't strictly psychic though, but then again, according to Emma Frost she isn't in the conventional sense either. Or maybe she's a plant from Xavier?[/spoiler]

I'm half way through. It'll be interesting to see how far out I am...

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 22 November, 2009, 07:39:05 PM
I finished Damnation Alley today. What a great book.

'tis indeed. On the way through did you experience the whole thing drawn in your mind's eye by Bolland & McMahon like Stevie did?

I've just begun Flood by Stephen Baxter (with Ark waiting in the wings). Must say that I'm enjoying it more than the Time's Tapestry books, but geez --& I mean this as a tribute to Baxter's writing-- the opening chapters weren't half gruelling!
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

vzzbux

Just started Republic Commando True Colours.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Richmond Clements

The Atheist's Guide to Christmas.

strontium_dog_90

Just read Frankie Boyle's autobiogrhapy, pretty much in one sitting - it's a fine, funny read. Don't know if anyone else here has read it, but the Galaxy's Greatest gets a few mentions, and a character that isn't Judge Dredd even gets mentioned by name, which was a nice surprise.

Just treated myself to "Fahrenheit 451," too, as I'm on something of a classic sci-fi read at the moment - "The Shrinking Man" by Richard Matheson I got through last week, and I couldn't help thinking it would make a great movie if re-made today - imagine how scary all the giant people (and things!) could be made to look.