Main Menu

Prog by App?

Started by Beeks, 10 May, 2012, 09:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauljholden

Downloaded the app. I see this as the domain of expensive comic-to-movie tie ins or promotional things. It's utterly impractical for reading proper comics - requiring you to hold the ipad unsupported and, while the ipad isn't that heavy it gets heavier and heavier between each panel. Placing the iPad on something to support it totally ruins the (marvellous) 3d effect.

I know content is king, but, in this instance content is very much tied to the device and the device is too heavy for how the content is to be read.

(edited to add: that said, there are a lot of games that use the same mechanism, so how come the weight doesn't bother me as much then? not sure, will have to mull it over)

-pj
(*weight isn't an issue for normal comics because, certainly in my day to day reading, I always put the ipad on something, or hold it in the crook of my arm, or use some other mechanisim whereby the movement of the ipad is constrained in order to read it for long periods)

briantm

Quote from: pauljholden on 23 May, 2012, 03:42:18 PM
I'm pretty sure I floated the idea several years ago, where I posited the idea that 2000ad could become an umbrella title to an anthology series (much like, say, the twilight zone) where every individual strip could be bought.

For readers, it sounds great; you're only buying what you want but, the big disadvantage is sometimes, for example, Dredd might be 'carrying' the rest of the strips - and some strips may need to be carried for a while BEFORE they become popular/bed in.

Something that DC has started doing recently is short (11/12 page - or 22/24 ipad screens) on going weekly strips for 69p. This may be a new on going model for 2000AD and other publishers.

-pj

Even if sold separately, the weekly 2000AD unit could still be sold together, cheaper than buying the 5 individually, and with the bonus of things like the cover, letters page, droid life.

Of course you would lose some buyers who only want Dredd, but you'll also gain buyers who would buy Dredd on his own, but don't see the full prog as worth their money.  Obviously, the numbers here are both important and unpredictable and that's only looking at it from one small angle.

Stories could be sold separately alternatively/aswell - e.g. Kingdom Book 1.  Not as big as a TP.  In fact, for many stories this would be more equivalent to a single issue of a US comic, or a graphic novella.  The 2000Ad release format would make the release of these more sporadic than monthly US issues, but I think there could be a very "art house" feel from 2000AD operating as a banner under which these separate stories could be sold - as mentioned by someone previously.

Also, a note on downloading directly to the iPad.

It is possible to download directly to the ipad from clickwheel and read without using another computer/device.

Sorry for the big writing but a few people lamented that it couldn't be done, earlier in this thread, so I want to make sure it was spotted.

There may be other browsers that do the same (maybe even the default Safari, I haven't used it in a while) but iCab Mobile - an alternative browser app for the ipad - allows you to download files and send them to other apps - so download the CBZ and send to ComicZeal or download the PDF and send to Goodreader/iBooks.

This will involve some file management afterwards as the original download stays in the iCab appdata after sending a copy to the destination app, and so has to be individually deleted.  You may also want to re-download or transfer to your main PC for archival purposes.

Disclaimer: I have done this with pdfs but not from clickwheel.  There's no reason why it shouldn't work as it's the same process and clickwheel does not DRM their downloads.  I don't get the prog from clickwheel (though am considering starting) so maybe someone else can confirm for definite.

briantm

I should add that iCab is not a free app and I'm sure there are probably free apps that will do this for you too.

briantm

mrketch

I've been getting my digital progs from Clickwheel because they cost less (a monthly subscription costs £5.74).  I download directly to my iPad and read using ComicZeal. 

Steve Green

Not sure if it's new, but I noticed that the prog is available via the iBooks/Bookstand on iOS...

Martin Jameson

Quote from: Steve Green on 03 August, 2012, 01:01:11 PM
Not sure if it's new, but I noticed that the prog is available via the iBooks/Bookstand on iOS...

Yep, noticed the 2000ad app on the apple store. Single issue downloads or subscription options. That's me sorted then.....

Link Prime

Quote from: Light Surfer on 03 August, 2012, 10:43:58 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 03 August, 2012, 01:01:11 PM

Yep, noticed the 2000ad app on the apple store. Single issue downloads or subscription options. That's me sorted then.....

Been waiting for this, just have to update to iOS 5 tomorrow and install it.
Surprised there wasn't a bit more fanfare about it's launch to be honest...

pauljholden

Jeez, they kept quiet about this. At last! (I mean, Id've loved full integration with Barney, but hi res art with scalable fonts - pdf files I imagine - yes please!)

-pj

DrJomster

Excellent news! I wonder if full digital graphic novels might be back on the agenda at some point?

Also - If I buy on one device, I presume it's free to re-download to another, right?
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

DrJomster

Ok, so if I'd read the help file first I'd have known that it is indeed free to download to another device if already purchased. Good news! Just the GN question to resolve now... I suppose there'll be a Megazine app too at some point?
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Beeks

Wow..ask and you will receive..thanks Tharg..love the free teaser prog too

I'm going full digital from now on
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Molch-R

Quote from: Link Prime on 03 August, 2012, 11:00:03 PM
Surprised there wasn't a bit more fanfare about it's launch to be honest...

There will be this week, but with Apple's submissions policies and the ever-present threat of a bug being discovered, there was no point having a massive announcement only for the damn thing not to be there when people search for it.

JOE SOAP

Am I right in assuming we can't transfer our progs bought on the app to other comic reader applications?

Molch-R

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 05 August, 2012, 04:36:12 PM
Am I right in assuming we can't transfer our progs bought on the app to other comic reader applications?

No idea, all the info is in the help section of the app.