Main Menu

The shadow gallery...

Started by plastikman, 14 June, 2002, 03:05:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plastikman

A selction of random points whilst I'm downloading Neil Young stuff...

1) Jack Kirby (?) / Someone Ditko - hear these names mentioned alot - is the stuff they did worth reading or has it dated badly?

2) Someone must have made this joke already ... anyone notice Scojo in this month's megs Dredd hehehe (sorry scojo :)

3) I've seen Star Wars twice and still don't understand the Count Dooku storyline - am I stupid?

4) Is Ron Smith still alive? What stuff has he done other than 2000ad? (Seeing "Sob Story" mentioned in the meg Dredd reminded how excellent his stuff was - whether he bothered with backgrounds or not!!). Any chance he'll do more 2000ad?

5) Weren't the Brasil / Costa Rica highlights excellent?

6) Just bought Jonny Double can't wait to read it.

"Keep on rocking in the free world"

plastikman

PS I've just finished V hence the subject title!! It's aaaaaaacccccccccceeeeeeeee!

paulvonscott

A few replies while the ine is chillinh in the freezer...

1)  Dunno.  Isn't there a Steve Ditko, I'm actually pretty ignorant about comics, unless they are by british creators going since the eighties.

2)  Er, I'm not getting involved :)

3)  No, its a right mess of a movie, I'm sure it does all make sense if you study it long enough (or appears to make sense) but I'm afraid the dark side has clouded Count Dooku's storylines.

4)  Ron Smith... lives!  But is retired, and as I've heard he's pissed off and retired I can't see him coming back.  Shame, for he was great, and that's not true about all of his backgrounds.

5)  Dunno.  I'm a stat freak myself.  Perverse eh?

6)  Never heard of it.  Are you sure its a real book?  There's a lot of fake books going about.

"Breaking the Law, Breaking the Law"

PVS

PS Yes, it is aaaaaaacccccccccceeeeeeeee!  I agree.  Well done Mr Moore.

Thread Zero

2) Someone must have made this joke already ... anyone notice Scojo in this month's megs Dredd hehehe (sorry scojo :)

Eh?

Where is this scojo reference?

Honest, i don't know.

Pleassssssssssssssse tell me.

scojo sad

Leigh S

Plastikman - superb taste in the Neil Young music -  now get out there and buy "Everybody Knows this is Nowhere", "Zuma" and "Decade" immediately!

Buddy

Without Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko there would be no 2000ad. They are the fathers (along with Stan Lee) of modern comics.

Kirby's stuff is fantastic, as is Ditko.

Kirby created the Hulk, Fantastic Four, Captain America (add just about every other Marvel Character) and a host of others, Ditko's main contribution is the creation of Spider-Man. All of the above were co-created by Stan Lee. Chech out the link for more Kirby stuff...
PREPARE TO BE AMAZED!!!!!

Link: http://www.twomorrows.com/kirby/" target="_blank">http://www.twomorrows.com/kirby/

christophe

Dear Oncle,

I disagree fundamentally. Jack Kirby is overrated, like he invented the comics. His role in the US comics is overestimated, and his effect on the European comics is far less.

Dave Gibbons and Brian Bolland brought a strong Americain art style to 2000AD, but 2000AD does not owe its existence to Americain comics.

You could say without Jack Kirby there would be no Shaky Kane. Is that to be proud of?

C.

Wood

Hey, you beat up on Shaky, you have me to deal with first.

O Lucky Stevie!

yeah, & i've got my balloon on a stick to back up my homie wood, so watch that mealy mouth of yours, christophe.

i've wet my knickers!
steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

JamieB

Most of the better Kirby and Ditko stuff is reprinted in Marvel's various "Essential [insert superhero here]" volumes.

Kirby (born Jacob Kurtzmann) died some time ago, while Ditko has become an objectivist (see the work of Ayn Rand) and wrote/drew "The Question", paid no little homage by Mr. Alan Moore in "Watchmen".

*J*

christophe

Dear Wood and Steven,

I only asked the question! I did not say he is bad :-)

Does he still make comics? What does he now?

C.

GordonR

>Does he still make comics? What does he now?

A thing called Black Star Comics, which seems to have died on its arse, unsurprisingly.  If I can find the link to their website, I'll post it, assuming the site is still there.

christophe

Dear milo,

my god! I remember now, Black Star was absolutrly diabolical! An atrocity! Wasn't issue three made only of reprints of  strip from issue 1 and 2? I guess they must have died after that.

C.

GordonR

>my god! I remember now, Black Star was >absolutrly diabolical! An atrocity! Wasn't >issue three made only of reprints of strip from >issue 1 and 2?

I believe it was.

There was an editorial from Shaky up on their site once, although it got taken down pretty sharpish.  It was basically a foul-mouthed rant from him about a bad review they got, and that it was clearly an anti-Black Star conspiracy, since the same mag also ran ads for 2000AD.

No, I don't quite follow the logic there either.

Anyway, I wish Shaky's admirers here could read it since it made even s***o seem like a shining beacon of professional conduct, and did a lot to explain why the Shakemeister can't get arrested in the comics biz these days.  

O Lucky Stevie!

>Anyway, I wish Shaky's admirers here could read it since it made even s***o seem like a shining beacon of professional conduct...

is that "shako: that you're referring to their, milo? skill.

i've wet my ugboots,
steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

GordonR

Heh.  

At least we can both agree on the tragically unrecognised brilliance of Shako.

I was of course reffering to the Loony Who Shall Not Be Named, whose recent departure from our midst at least means that somewhere out there some lucky village is at least getting their idiot back.