Main Menu

I'm with Pulp, who are you fighting with?

Started by JimBob, 19 June, 2002, 03:07:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NSFTM

NIN,vast, Ultrviolence, Atari Teenage Riot, Stabbing westward,um pink floyd and Yes (not terribly metal of me)
It Could Be That The Sole Purpose Of Your Life Is To Serve As A Warning To Others

W. R. Logan

>So who was the guy with the moustace who grassed up Orlok to Dredd? I know he lived in Frank Zappa but did he help Orlok spread the virus? If so Block Mania started from Frank Zappa block. {Bear with me I think Frank Zappa is great just think he needs some recognition...lol)

Lorien Speck was a resident of Frank Zappa, and he had a supply of water, so he knew of the Block Mania serum but it doesn't indicate it started there.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/theclassof79" target="_blank">Class Of '79 Yahoo Group

http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/mediumres/236.jpg">

Jim_Campbell

You'll always find me in the kitchen at block wars ...

... but put me on the spot and I'd have to sling my lot in with:

Julian Cope
(Most - but by no means all - of the time. When he's on form, he's excellent but when he's not ...)

Bad Religion

Fields of the Nephilim/Nefilim
(Still waiting for that new album, Carl ...)

New Model Army

Projekt
(Gone past that new-album-infatuation stage - 'Encryption' is a mighty disc)

Sisters of Mercy
(Everything before 'Floodland' ...)

Narcissus Pool
(Any band that invites DJs to download MP3s from their site and then "burn ten copies of the fucker and flog 'em for beer money" is all right in my book ...)

Belisha
(I got 'em their first US club play, so they sent me a free album, which I felt a bit guilty about because I'd cheerfully have bought it!)

... And the Buzzcocks, and Shriekback, and ... oh, bollocks, this could go on forever so I'll stop now.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

plastikman

NEW MODEL ARMY = excellent, but no bugger seems to like them.

I've enjoyed there stuff for 10 years and have never seen them live until next week - Glastonbury 2002 it's gonna me the best ever!

plastikman.

plastikman

Raw Melody Men is surely the best / most appropriate anagram of a band ever!

plastikman.

"we follow the tail lights out of the city moving in a river of red..."

Smiley

JimBob, when Dredd went home he listened to Wagner.

And not the Ride Of The Valkyries fella either. Though it would be fantastic to hear Wagner & Grant going Top 40 with the timeless 'You Pig' by Pug Ugly & The Buggly's.

Not half, pop pickers!

The Amstor Computer

---NEW MODEL ARMY = excellent, but no bugger seems to like them---

Well, here's one bugger who does :-) Songs like "Here Comes The War" & "White Light" are particular favourites - though I've still got a lot of back catalogue to trawl through.

Buddy

Just a quick list as I'm off to have a bath....

Smashing Pumpkins
David Sylvian
Julian Cope
Nirvana
The The
Primal Scream
Marillion (the fish yeras mostly)
Raidohead
Talking Heads

Link: http://www.ximoc.co.uk" target="_blank">http://www.ximoc.co.uk

Jim_Campbell

"---NEW MODEL ARMY = excellent, but no bugger seems to like them--- "

I think the NMA fans have gone into hiding - they all seem to crawl out of the woodwork for gigs, if the crowds crammed into Rock City the last couple of times they played are anything to go by ...

"Well, here's one bugger who does :-) Songs like "Here Comes The War" & "White Light" are particular favourites - though I've still got a lot of back catalogue to trawl through."

They went off the boil a bit with 'Impurity' (IMO) and took a while to find their form again.

Thoroughly recommended, though, are the first four albums:

Vengeance:

"I believe in justice/ I believe in vengeance/ I believe in getting the bastards/ getting the bastards/ getting the bastards NOW!"

No Rest:

All good stuff, but No Rest and Drag It Down are real stand-out tracks

The Ghost of Cain:

51st State, Poison Street ... for some reason, this album seems to be rather hard to find ...

Thunder and Consolation:

A f*cking classic: Vagabonds, Stupid Questions, The Green And The Grey, 255, White Coats, and my personal favourite, The Charge ...  a savage little ditty about the Miners' Strike, using the Charge of the Light Brigade as an analogy.

A fine and underrated band ...

Cheers

Jim

Ol^ Marbles

I saw NMA way back in '85 (I think) at Bristol Uni - 'Smalltown England', 'Heroin', 'Vengeance' etc. Great band but their sound was a bit samey.

Adrian Bamforth

Ah N.M.A - the crusty U2.

I always assumed The Charge was about the Light Brigade itself, or indeed war in general.

Into "The Valley of Death" sounds a bit melodramatic for a copper vs miner punch-up, but there you go.

ADE

Link: www.adrianbamforth.co.uk

Jim_Campbell

"I always assumed The Charge was about the Light Brigade itself, or indeed war in general.

Into "The Valley of Death" sounds a bit melodramatic for a copper vs miner punch-up, but there you go. "

Fond as I am of the crusties' favourite, I don't they could ever be accused of understatement in their rhetoric!

The chorus is very much about the historical Charge itself, but it was lines in the verses like:

"In the offices of the city/
At all the tables of oak and power/
The snares are laid and baited/
For the approaching of the hour/
A hundred justifications and the presses are ready to roll/
The gateways to our nation they are firmly under control ..."

Or:

"We turned for some assistance/
To the friends that we had known/
But this was the nineteen-eighties/
And we were on our own ..."

YMMV, but living in the midst of so many ghost towns that used to be mining communities, the Miners' Strike was rather more than "copper vs miner punch-up" from my POV.

Cheers

Jim

plastikman

"Well, here's one bugger who does :-) Songs like "Here Comes The War" & "White Light" are particular favourites - though I've still got a lot of back catalogue to trawl through."

Well worth the trawl Blackblood - you should be able to get most / all of their early stuff dirt cheap on vinyl (don't know about cd) - they've a particular penchant for 10 inch singles aswell!

I'd echo everything Jim has said with a couple of additions...

No rest:
Better than them
No greater love ...
...are my standouts (although No rest and Drag it down ARE bloody good)

The ghost of cain: (nice jacket!)
The Hunt is worthy of a mention

Thunder and Consolation:

"A f*cking classic" - ah atlast someone's said it - there's no other way to describe this record. This was the first of theirs I bought and never looked back. Listening to "Green and Grey" on the Manchester to Hull train - ah memories...
(Except I didn't get White Coats or The Charge on my vinyl copy - presumably these are CD extras?)

"They went off the boil a bit with 'Impurity' (IMO) and took a while to find their form again." - obviously acknowledge this is your opinion Jim, but lets not scare Blackblood off - "Get me out" is a corker "Space" has a nice dreamy quality and "Eleven years" is a belter, oh and you get a picture of a snake on the cover which is always nice.  

Can't wait to see them at Glastonbury (reckon the other 99,999 attendess will be off watching other things!)

Happiness is discovering a band with a sizeable back catelogue...as I'm realising with Neil Young - none of these 1 album Jonnies for me!

plastikman.

plastikman

Did I read somewhere that Rob Heaton (NMA drummer) has a brain tumor?

Gulp.

plastikman

Gutted I've just checked their website and he has left NMA :( - recovering from op

Shakara

What're all u old ppl talkin about;)

SHAKARA!