Main Menu

Rosebud...

Started by plastikman, 21 June, 2002, 01:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plastikman

Always a difficult one to answer but ... push comes to shove what is your all time favourite film?

There's a prize for the most obscure!?

Reckon I'd go for (none of which are that obscure) "Play it again Sam" but then again "Annie Hall" "Manhattan" and "Deconstructing Harry" are classic Woody Allen, "Once were warriors" is powerful and "Star Wars" had a big effect on me as a kid "Wild at Heart" rocks so does "Twin Peaks Fire walk with me", "Dune" is good "Eraserhead" is vile, the original version of "The Vanishing" pi**es all over Hollywood's rehash, "Run Lola run" is fun in a German type way, "Jean de Florrette" and "Mannon des Source" are cheshnuts...

...I give up I can't pick a favourite - don't reckon anyone else will be able to either?

plastikman (off to read 100 Bullets vol 4 - hurray - thankyou Chester Comic Co)    

?no there isn't

Jenny-Mek

It's gotta be Transformers the Movie (because we all love big, Japanese robots), Predator (only the 1st one), Blood (the only genuinely adult film I've ever heard of), and Judge Dredd (mainly for the Rico/Hammerstein bits).
     I freely admit to being a gibbering, fangirl escapist, and already appreciate the flaws of my selected films. I do not need to be re-informing of this. Thankyou.
     It is very hard to chose a film, isn't it?

wrighty47

For me it's (in no definite order) "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly", The Godfather (and II), Blade Runner, Alien, La Haine, Seven Samarai, Yojimbo, Rashamon, The Hidden Fortress, Kes, Onibaba, The Excorcist, Monty Python's Life Of Brian.... God I could go on for ever! Tho Run Lola Run is aslo bloody excellent ;)

Alan!

plastikman

La Haine is on my list of films to see - hmm  never seems to be in the local Blockbuster though!

I love Monty Python (but HATE the dead parrot sketch!).

"Blessed are the cheesemakers"

plastikman

satchmo

Apart from my Star Wars fixation, some of my favourites are Escape From New York,12 Angry Men,The Big Lebowski,Silent Running,La Haine,King Kong,Jason and The Argonauts,Dawn Of The Dead,Goodfellas,Buckaroo Banzai.Thats off the top of my head,I'll give you a different ten tomorrow!
The best film I have seen in the last year would have to be Requiem For A Dream.

plastikman

Jenny-mek scores 1 with "Blood" never heard of it!

But wrighty's ahead with 3 - "Yojimbo", "Rashamon" and "Onibaba" ...eh come again? (Although these will be disallowed if they're Manga!)

I'm an ignorant fool!
plastikman

Buddy

Broadway Danny Rose is my fave Woody Allen flick...

Other faves include....The Day The Earth Stood Still, Forbidden Planet, Anything with Jenny Agutter gettin her kit off, A Matter Of Life And Death, Unbreakable, Bedazzled (not the new shit one), Time Bandits (or any Terry Gilliam film)....Ohh the list goes on....

Link: http://www.ximoc.co.uk" target="_blank">http://www.ximoc.co.uk

CJones6759

Taxi Driver, Rushmore, Fight Club, The Big Lebowski, Blade Runner and LA Confidential

esoteric ed

Jaws, The Wicker Man, Witchfinder General, Hell Drivers, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, Magnum Force, Holiday on the Buses. (too many more)

Ed

The Amstor Computer

Rashomon & Yojimbo are films from the legendary Japanese director Akira Kurosawa, and both are absolute masterpieces - they've also been extensively copied in the West, as have most of his other movies. Both films also feature the magnificent Toshiro Mifune - almost a recommendation to see them in itself.

Onibaba is another classic Japanese movie, written & directed by Kaneto Shindo, and it's a wonderfully spooky tale set in 14th century Japan.

All three come highly recommended, and if you enjoy them, then check out:

Hell in the Pacific
Dersu Uzala
Kagemusha
The Seven Samurai

...and just because it's the best bloody horror film I've seen in years:

Ring

Smiley

The Thing - Back when John Carpenter could do no wrong. It's dated badly in places but still gets by on sheer verve.

wrighty47

First of all, no they are not manga, but simply some of the best movies ever made. Obviously I agree here with Blackblood. Yojimbo was remade as A Fistful Of Dollars (some scenes copied axactly). Rashomon is one of the most original, thought provoking, and gripping movies ever made. It centres around a rape and murder, and the trial that follows. It tells the story from 3 points of view, the accused, the accuser and the victim. Anyone interested in Kurosawa should check out Arena on BBC2 on Saturday night, which is all about the great director. Other classics of his include The Hidden Fortress, Throne of Blood, and Ran. Onibaba tells the tale of 2 peasant women who survive by killing Samarai and selling their armour & weapons. One of the most visualy amazing films i've ever seen.
I too would recommend Ring, along with Uzumaki, Keiro (aka Pulse), Battle Royale, Sonatine, Hani-Bi, The Violent Cop, Tokyo Drifter as superb examples of Japanese cinema. Also missed off my list Fight Club, The Wicker Man and at least a 100 more ;)

Alan!

2000AD Online

Buckaroo Banzai
Wings of Desire
Mad Max (Johnnytheboy`s done it again/when do we go for a ride)
Bedazzled (the original with Pete and Dud)

The Amstor Computer

>>>I too would recommend Ring, along with Uzumaki, Keiro (aka Pulse), Battle Royale, Sonatine, Hani-Bi, The Violent Cop, Tokyo Drifter as superb examples of Japanese cinema

The Amstor Computer

>>>I too would recommend Ring, along with Uzumaki, Keiro (aka Pulse), Battle Royale, Sonatine, Hani-Bi, The Violent Cop, Tokyo Drifter as superb examples of Japanese cinema