Main Menu

Dredd - Box Office

Started by MattJW, 02 September, 2012, 09:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

JOE SOAP

There was zero promotion for Dredd in Ireland despite having the largest going cinema audience, proportionally. Entertainment Films are responsible for promotion in both the UK & Ireland but certain cinemas and chains like Savoy, IMC don't deal with them.

CraveNoir

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/box-office-oracle-trouble-with-the-curve-will-slide-pass-dredd/
Another prediction:

1 - Trouble with the Curve - 16.2m
2 - Dredd 3D - 14.4m
3 - House at the End of the Street - 12.3m
4 - Finding Nemo 3D - 9.2m
5 - End of Watch - 7.5m

soggy

Quote from: SneakeeX on 20 September, 2012, 08:42:42 AM
http://www.iftn.ie/distribution/boxoffice/irishweeklyboxoffice2012/sublinks_static/irishboxoffice14-%2016september/
Dismal performace in Ireland.
I think there should have been a better response to this in Ireland.

There were no press screenings in Ireland - this tends to make people assume it's not a very good film. (Apology if this point has already been made).

TordelBack

Quote from: soggy on 20 September, 2012, 07:48:10 PM
Quote from: SneakeeX on 20 September, 2012, 08:42:42 AM
http://www.iftn.ie/distribution/boxoffice/irishweeklyboxoffice2012/sublinks_static/irishboxoffice14-%2016september/
Dismal performace in Ireland.
I think there should have been a better response to this in Ireland.

There were no press screenings in Ireland - this tends to make people assume it's not a very good film. (Apology if this point has already been made).

Zero publicity full-stop, still haven't seen a single poster, and the film itself not taken up by all the cinema chains, as explained by Joe upthread.

jamesedwards

It's either going to live or die on word of mouth in the longer term. This may be a sentence delivered directly from the depths of my arsehole, but it feels like a slow burner.

I'm not sure I want a sequel if its going to degenerate into fanwank like the proposed sequels/comic stuff in general. I got what I was after, which was a legit great movie.

DKCX

You're in trouble if you're a Dredd fan from County Kerry as you can only see DREDD in Dingle!
Never realised how bad the situation was till I started seeing how many cinemas even in Cork are showing it. Only 5 in the whole county showing in 3D (2 Reel Picture and 3 Gate Cinema-one being in the town I'm living in) and 2 other outlets showing in 2D....what a disgrace!
Now I can understand the low numbers now.
What exactly is the nature of the problem that Entertainment Film UK has it with the other cinemas?

PreacherCain

Not sure how many cinemas in Ireland have the capability of showing 3D films. Presumably just the big ones in Dublin, Cork, Kerry, Galway?

I know the city centre cinema in Cork has refunded a lot of people because the screen they were showing Dredd on had projector/sound faults throughout. So there's that. (3D costs more and yet they show the film in the faulty screen? Good work!) The only other option then is to make the trek out to Mahon Point where the cinema prices are incredibly high, and even moreso for 3D. Most people will sadly choose the cheaper option of something like Lawless and wait for Dredd on DVD.

DKCX

Quote from: PreacherCain on 20 September, 2012, 09:38:32 PM
Not sure how many cinemas in Ireland have the capability of showing 3D films. Presumably just the big ones in Dublin, Cork, Kerry, Galway?

I know the city centre cinema in Cork has refunded a lot of people because the screen they were showing Dredd on had projector/sound faults throughout. So there's that. (3D costs more and yet they show the film in the faulty screen? Good work!) The only other option then is to make the trek out to Mahon Point where the cinema prices are incredibly high, and even moreso for 3D. Most people will sadly choose the cheaper option of something like Lawless and wait for Dredd on DVD.
I believe that Mahon Point wasn't showing Dredd as the brother was heading that direction to see it but wasn't showing it so he had to go to Ballincollig.

dweezil2

What did Entertainment do to fuck everyone off so royally?
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

MR. ELIMINATOR

I have just thought of something that may damage Dredd's US opening. The competition in films that week I think it can hold it's own against, but there is a popular video game Borderlands 2 coming out the same day. Not sure how it would affect it but I imagine that a lot of the people Lionsgate were trying to target would be comic book fans, which probably means they play video games as well.

JOE SOAP

If they went down the route of worrying about what people were spending on other mediums, the film would never get released.

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: jamesedwards on 20 September, 2012, 08:55:09 PM

I'm not sure I want a sequel if its going to degenerate into fanwank like the proposed sequels/comic stuff in general. I got what I was after, which was a legit great movie.

Blapshemy!Burn Him!

No, seriously if you liked the first one (and hopefully it is the first one) you need to give them bit more trust that they could hadle any sequels right.The subject matter they choose is less important than HOW they portray it.Lots of proposed/finished films sound off on paper (th Matix sounds bonkers) but its how its presented that matters.Origins, democratic terrorists, even the Dark Judges could  be done well, it just depends how its done.I would definately would want the same team to do any sequels.