Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

The Pub Landlord has just announced he's standing against Farage in the General Election. Sometimes I love this country.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Old Tankie

Research suggests that nearly half of Britons hold anti-Semitic views, according to a poll by YouGov.  45% believed that at least one anti-Semitic view presented to them was probably or definitely true, according to The Times newspaper.  Can't say I'm surprised!

The Legendary Shark

But is it ant-semitism or just ignorance? If someone mistakenly believes that all Catholics are allowed to use condoms, does that make them anti-Christian? I don't think so.
You've got to be very careful what you say about the Jews, though, some of them are a bit prickly.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Old Tankie

Well, when a person answers a question with an anti-Semitic view, one assumes that person is anti-Semitic.  And, as for being a bit prickly, I can think of other religions that can be applied to.

Hawkmumbler

Anti-semitism has become so deeply ingrained into western European culture that often people might not even realize that they're saying something offensive.

Old Tankie

Hawkmumbler

Not that that excuses it mind, I should have mentioned that (though where all sensible enough around here) but if ever their was a time to start challenging these opinions it should be now.

ZenArcade

Such seems to be the sense of disquiet amongst millennia old Jewish communities in Europe that many are choosing emigration as an answer. Z  :(
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

The Legendary Shark

A good egg is a good egg and an arsehole is an arsehole. Both types come in a wide variety of forms, colours and programming.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

ZenArcade

By their actions and deeds shall you know them. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

JayzusB.Christ

There is never a valid excuse for racism,  despite how infuriatingly stubborn all bigots i know are when they insist otherwise.
I do object,  however, to IsraelI authorities holding up the anti-semitism card whenever another country condemns their more belligerent military actions. 
Disliking Jews because of some prejudiced racist notions is bigoted, anti-semitic and,  in my view,  wrong.
Not wanting to see innocent Palestinian families killed by IsraelI missiles is not anti-semitic. Israel is a country,  not a race - I'd hazard a guess that most westerners who protested against the Iraq war are not haters of the predominant races of the countries involved in the invasion.

That said: 
QuoteYou've got to be very careful what you say about the Jews, though, some of them are a bit prickly

Sharky, I'm surprised at you.  You know better than that.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Some people are prickly, though, don't you find? They'd rather find excuses to aggravate than educate.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Richmond Clements

Or troll rather than answer points.

TordelBack

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 14 January, 2015, 03:16:07 PM
The Pub Landlord has just announced he's standing against Farage in the General Election. Sometimes I love this country.

The real beauty of this is that I've long suspected more than a few of his targets don't grasp the point of Al Murray's comedy at all, and some may actually vote for him.