Main Menu

The Reality of Science Fiction: A Panel Discussion on Science and Sci-fi

Started by Mike Carroll, 17 October, 2012, 04:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Carroll

Paccar Theatre, Science Gallery, Trinity College, Dublin 2
Thursday, November 1, 2012, 18:00-19:00. Admission free - registration required!

Does sci-fi influence the direction of scientific research? How do sci-fi writers draw inspiration from real science? What happens when the two professions come together to work on a project?

In a free event at Science Gallery, an expert panel - including a scientist, a science fiction writer, and an expert on the relationship between the two - discuss the relationship between sci-fi and science.

If you're interested in the interplay between science fiction and reality, join writer Michael Carroll (2000AD, Judge Dredd), DCU's Pat Brereton (Hollywood Utopia, Smart Cinema), and Head of Zoology at TCD, Nicola Marples to find out how important scientific accuracy is in science fiction, and how much of an impact science fiction can have on scientific research, public opinion, and even funding decisions.

For more information, see the Science Gallery website!

TordelBack

I think I'll try to make this.  Just have to think of enough awkward questions to be that really annoying guy at the back at any given public lecture.  Play to my strengths, like.