Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 16 March, 2015, 07:56:39 AM
Oh, and I watched Robot and Frank on Netflix too, about an old cat burglar slowly losing his mind (presumably to dementia) who uses a robot carer to pull off one last job. That was surprisingly good, and very touching.  I did not see the end coming at all.
Agreed - really liked it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Keef Monkey

Watched Snowpiercer at the weekend after hearing great things. It's got some really striking sequences visually I thought, but something never really clicked with me. Think it was the unsure tone, it didn't seem to ever settle in a way that I could sink into it (if that makes any sense).

Still enjoyed it, and it's an interesting idea (although thinking about it in any depth afterwards there's a whole ton of things that don't make sense about the set-up, but hey, it's a metaphor!).

NapalmKev

V/H/S.

I enjoyed it. It's basically a few short films linked by a central theme.

A group of Guys brake into a house to steal a Videotape. As well as tapes, they find a dead man sat in front of a load of TV's. While searching the house one of the guys starts watching various tapes in an effort to find the one they are looking for. Each tape represents a different short film, most of which are very good.

Worth a watch.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Spaceghost

Gone Girl. A massive pile of shit.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Ghastly McNasty

moly

Exodus so slooooow gave up after 40 minutes

Link Prime

Quote from: NapalmKev on 17 March, 2015, 12:20:41 PM
V/H/S.

I enjoyed it. It's basically a few short films linked by a central theme.

A group of Guys brake into a house to steal a Videotape. As well as tapes, they find a dead man sat in front of a load of TV's. While searching the house one of the guys starts watching various tapes in an effort to find the one they are looking for. Each tape represents a different short film, most of which are very good.

Worth a watch.

Cheers

Yeah, its great- in particular "I Like You".
The sequel takes a slight dip in quality, and I have yet to watch 2014's 'Viral'.

Keef Monkey

Weird, I actually found VHS 2 much better than the first, by quite a margin! Haven't seen the 3rd one yet though.

Goaty

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 19 March, 2015, 03:51:35 PM
Weird, I actually found VHS 2 much better than the first, by quite a margin! Haven't seen the 3rd one yet though.

Me too, and VHS Viral just out on Netflix USA now :)

Keef Monkey

Good to know! My default Netflix is US so will need to jump on that. Babadook is coming next month too which is good news as I missed that in the cinema.

Theblazeuk

As Above, So Below.

So below par.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 13 March, 2015, 10:33:37 PM
Just watched best of the best. It hasn't become a good film in the years since it was made, but there's something about it I like. The best thing is that with a bit of cheating I can add best of the best 2 to my list of"sequals where the hero from the first film is killed off in the second one' it's cheating because Chris Penn isn't the lead character in botb2 but I've been waiting years to add a fil to iron eagle 2 and maniac cop 2.
Halloween 5, 6, and "Resurrection" all feature the death of the star of the previous movie within the first 15 minutes or so of the beginning of the new one. I think, I might have got one of those numbers wrong. And "Best Of The Best" is amazing, even if the sequels are the Philip Rhee show (he can't act worth shit).

Sorority Babes In The Slimeball Bowl-o-Rama
After some bad Troma experiences with misleading titles, this at least has sorority babes, a bowl-o-rama and some slimeballs. What it doesn't have is anything worth watching. Unless you love 80s boobs; given that the director is (I think) gay, he was perhaps trying to hide it at the time. Or he really loved long shower scenes.

Hawkmumbler

Rollerball (1957, dir. Norman Jewison) was watched for the first time last night on the new BD. Honestly i'm surprised it's taken me so long to see this, seeing as how it was even referenced as an influence of 2000AD (and it shows, very reminiscent of the later Harlem Heroes just with less jet packs) but in general it was just another sci-fi sports movie with a fair dollops of violence and bright red blood. I really enjoyed it though, and the Clock Work Orange style cinematography works a treat, but if the movie thinks it's anything artsy fartsy it really isn't, pretty much anyone watching it is only in it for the violence, which I well shot so I don't feel cheated really.

Goaty

V/H/S Viral as it debut on Netflix USA last night, it is 3rd film of V/H/S, both are brilliant anthology horror. 3rd film, I thought it was good, not great, but 2nd story with about a man with his machine was soooo creepy! Never forgot that WTF moment!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 20 March, 2015, 08:42:29 AM
Rollerball (1957, dir. Norman Jewison)...if the movie thinks it's anything artsy fartsy it really isn't, pretty much anyone watching it is only in it for the violence, which I well shot so I don't feel cheated really.

If it was a only film with/about violence I wouldn't be half as interested in it as I am 40 years later - the lack of any substance (or tree shooting) is probably one of the main reasons why the ersatz remake ended up being an utter waste of rollerskates.