Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wedgeski

Agreed. Not as good as Knives Out (which is a high bar, admittedly), but good fun.

[spoiler]I was surprised they played the red herring of it being Sam Rockwell's character so early. This would have been a great distraction from the real culprit in the third act.[/spoiler]

Richmond Clements

Black Panther Wakanda Forever - Great fun and actually very moving in places. It clocks in at nearly three hours though. It's not without its faults, but is still a superb movie. In a world where justice exists, Angela Bassett should have an Oscar nomination.

Barbarian - A genuine WTF did I just watch? movie. The best horror movie of the year. Best go in knowing nothing though.

Hawkmumbler

THE BANSHEES OF INESHIRIN

McDonagh hasn't until this time made a movie that really resonated with me, a lot of his stuff feels like really good single episode TV drama fluff bloated into an incongruous, trite farce.
This suffers from a lot of those same problems, but it is also quite funny, so its probably the movie of his i've enjoyed the most.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 13 November, 2022, 02:31:34 PM
Black Panther Wakanda Forever - Great fun and actually very moving in places. It clocks in at nearly three hours though. It's not without its faults, but is still a superb movie. In a world where justice exists, Angela Bassett should have an Oscar nomination.

Pretty much all of this. The only thing I'd say about the lengthy running time is that, although I'm generally in the "you should be able to say it in 90 minutes" camp, BPWF doesn't feel either padded or particularly leisurely in pacing.*

There are sections that are slower than others but, in a film almost entirely centred thematically on grief and bereavement, not everything's going to be crash-bang-wallop. Even these slower/quieter scenes serve to either move the plot forward, or inform the characters in meaningful ways.

* [spoiler]Notable exception: I quite like Martin Freeman, but I'm pretty sure you could excise his scenes completely and the film would still make sense.[/spoiler]
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

abelardsnazz

The Menu. I really liked this, a proper black comedy. Ralph Fiennes and Anya Taylor-Joy are both brilliant, and as it spins out into the horrific it holds its own internal logic. A couple of things left unexplained, but for me 4/5.

Jim_Campbell

Enola Holmes 2 on Netflix.

Well, that was pretty much exactly as you might hope — great fun. Brown is, once again, excellent with some fine fourth-wall-breaking acting to rope the viewer in as a confidante and co-conspirator.

Cavill's Holmes gets more to do than in the first film, but overall the story belongs solidly to Brown as the mystery twists and turns engagingly. The younger members of the cast all do well, and the addition of David Thewlis delivering another magnificently creepy turn adds a streak of menace. The film also once again manages the previously-unheard-of feat of making Helena Bonham-Carter almost not-annoying.

Inessential stuff, and I'm not entirely sure it needed to be 130 minutes long, but a thoroughly entertaining way to fill a dreary autumn evening.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 20 November, 2022, 09:48:38 PM
The Menu. I really liked this, a proper black comedy. Ralph Fiennes and Anya Taylor-Joy are both brilliant, and as it spins out into the horrific it holds its own internal logic. A couple of things left unexplained, but for me 4/5.

Yeah this is a lot of fun. For a brief moment it had the standard, nose upturned response by miserable fucks pointing out 'how unsubtle The Menu is' as if it was ever attempting even pretend to be subtle. This is pantomime satire, its ludicrous and so much fun as a result.

abelardsnazz

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery. Daniel Craig has found a brilliant new franchise with his Southarrrwn detective Benoit Blanc. This is great fun, for me better than the first instalment, but it's only on for a week in cinemas before Netflix remove it for a Christmas tentpole.

At least I got to see it it in the cinema, unlike Annihilation.

Colin YNWA

The man who killed Hitler and then the Bigfoot 

What a curious piece this is, as the surprisingly literal title suggedts. It has a lot to offer, but let's be honest its carried by a magnificent performance by the magnificent Sam Elliot. Its steady paced and for all its Hitler killing and Bigfoot hunting more a quiet character, very human character piece.

Well worth watching if you fancy something a bit different.

pictsy

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 December, 2022, 09:10:39 PM
The man who killed Hitler and then the Bigfoot 

What a curious piece this is, as the surprisingly literal title suggedts. It has a lot to offer, but let's be honest its carried by a magnificent performance by the magnificent Sam Elliot. Its steady paced and for all its Hitler killing and Bigfoot hunting more a quiet character, very human character piece.

Well worth watching if you fancy something a bit different.

Watched this a few years ago.  It certainly delivers on what it promises, plus is pretty good as well.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: JWare on 29 October, 2022, 12:35:55 PM
Just watched the Netflix version of All Quiet on the Western Front.
It looks good but it would have been a much stronger film if it had been a more faithful adaptation of the original story.
The 1929 novel is a gut-punch of a book.

Can't say I've read the original novel but this version certainly packed a punch to me. Genuinely horrific stuff from the Heinrich's uniform opening to the futile final attack.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JohnW

My problem is I'm a WW1 know-all, forever on the lookout for incorrect details or just about anything that looks or feels wrong (don't get me started on Spielberg's War Horse). This film is mostly on the money when it comes to history but, being the alert nitpicker I am, I couldn't help disapproving of every deviation from the book.
Go read the book. It's short and powerful.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Colin YNWA

You can now get Future Folk on YouTube. If you've not seen it you should.

https://youtu.be/u2oKGSmr9oo

Hondo!

Radbacker

I watched this little indie movie called Avatar Way of the Water, was good I might even go and watch it again.  If you didn't like the first one you won't like this one.
Absolutely beautiful looking movie, you forget how good CGI can be when done right and in this movie it is done right, honestly after the first 10 minutes you really don't see the CGI it just looks like Cameron found some big blue cat actors 😊. The underwater sequences in the second half are just amazing.  Probably some of the best action set pieces ever played t to film too many honestly can't praise it enough.  If there is one weakness it's probably relatively weak dialogue and the story is nothing too original but t it all plays gangbusters to the crowd.  Oh also the 3D is the best I've ever seen, if you get a chance watch in 3D at HFR it really is like nothing you've seen before.

CU Radbacker

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Radbacker on 20 December, 2022, 03:15:44 AM
I watched this little indie movie called Avatar Way of the Water, was good I might even go and watch it again.  If you didn't like the first one you won't like this one.
Absolutely beautiful looking movie, you forget how good CGI can be when done right and in this movie it is done right, honestly after the first 10 minutes you really don't see the CGI it just looks like Cameron found some big blue cat actors 😊. The underwater sequences in the second half are just amazing.  Probably some of the best action set pieces ever played t to film too many honestly can't praise it enough.  If there is one weakness it's probably relatively weak dialogue and the story is nothing too original but t it all plays gangbusters to the crowd.  Oh also the 3D is the best I've ever seen, if you get a chance watch in 3D at HFR it really is like nothing you've seen before.

CU Radbacker

Nah
Lock up your spoons!