General Chat > Film & TV

GoT: House of the Dragon

(1/17) > >>

Jim_Campbell:
NO SPOILERS.

(However, per previous TV threads, spoilers should be expected if you’re not up to date with the current episode.)

Not at all sure about that. It’s terribly fucking po-faced — it wouldn’t have killed them to put a joke in it. The dialogue creaks with faux-Tolkien riffs and the whole thing plays like LotR with added tits and gore.

Also not helped by the fact that, by the end of Ep1 of GoT, you at least liked Ned and Tyrion, whereas the overwhelming impression of this is: what a shower of cunts.

I’ll give it another couple of episodes, but it seems to lack the… earthy side-view of the fantasy genre that gave the original its energy.

(Plus: definite mistake losing the map at the start. Incorporating the all-important ’fantasy books have a map at the front’ into the GoT title sequence was genius.)

Richard:
All true, but in the other hand first episodes are almost always difficult. Hoping it gets better next week.

Jim_Campbell:

--- Quote from: Richard on 22 August, 2022, 11:38:52 PM ---All true, but in the other hand first episodes are almost always difficult. Hoping it gets better next week.

--- End quote ---

Oh, definitely. The very first episode of GoT was really hard work compared to the easily-digestible nature of most modern TV — it had at least half-a-dozen significant locations, and about two dozen named, speaking characters, plus a significant amount of world/history building to cram in as well.

But, like I say, I at least had some sense of where the moral centre of the story lay, and the writers had the good sense to pivot the episode on a humorous character moment ("You got old"/"You got fat") which served to relieve the seriousness of the episode up to the point (whilst simultaneously telling us a lot about the relationship of two key characters).

I wasn't at all sure about GoT after that first episode, either, so I'm not going to give up on this just yet.

Dark Jimbo:
The Dance of the Dragons is pretty grim stuff that ends with most characters dead, so... not a lot of levity. I would have expected a lot of the humour to come from Mushroom, the dwarf jester, but it seems that he's been cut from the series.

Jim_Campbell:

--- Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 23 August, 2022, 08:59:34 AM ---The Dance of the Dragons is pretty grim stuff that ends with most characters dead, so... not a lot of levity.

--- End quote ---

Ah. Unfortunately, what I liked about GoT was its ability to balance the grimmer stuff against some really good character writing, particularly a few excellent double-acts (Tyrion and Bronn, Tyrion and Varys, Arya and The Hound) to inject some much-needed humour and occasionally take a pop at the pomposity of the series and the genre in general. ("Lots of people name their swords." "Lots of REDACTED."

I'm not sure I'm up for week after week of unrelenting grimdark, TBH.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version