Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveycandlish

Not a fan of Russ Meyer films then? ;-)
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Hawkmumbler

I hope Richmond never try's to watch A Room in Rome. His blood pressure might not be able to cope. :lol:

Jimbo, I understand that. I don't agree 100% with it. Many later year Borowcozyk films contained hard core sex and the man is still my favourite cinematic director, i'm more irked by some posters ardent prudishness masked as maturity.

TordelBack

I can't and won't and don't need to speak for Richmond, but I don't think prudishness has anything to do with it, or indeed anything to do with a dislike of casual sexism.

Concerns expressed here have more to do with wanting to live in a world that isn't actively hostile for half the population.

Hawkmumbler

I really do think shouting down a comment on breasts by telling the poster to "Grow up" is a pretty immature way to go about it. But he's the mod, so i guess it's his ball game.

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 08 December, 2013, 01:58:13 PMBut he's the mod, so i guess it's his ball game.

That was presumably his reaction as a poster, rather than a mod, as nothing like a caution or a warning was issued.  The hand of moderation lies very lightly on this site.   We all react differently to these things, but you can perhaps see how a remark about tits, following closely after a series of remarks about Rosario Dawson's pubes, might seem to create an unfortunate laddish atmosphere in a forum that aspires to be inclusive.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to google 'A Room in Rome'.

Hawkmumbler

OK. Yeah, sorry. Getting a little uppity myself.

smilersaltash

Just wondered if all you guys who have no problems with female nudity, would welcome more male genitalia on the silver screen ? If you're anything like my husband, the honest answer would be no.

TordelBack

Quote from: smilersaltash on 08 December, 2013, 03:16:56 PM
Just wondered if all you guys who have no problems with female nudity, would welcome more male genitalia on the silver screen ? If you're anything like my husband, the honest answer would be no.

I'm all for wangs, as long as they stand up in a plausible fashion when the circumstances warrant.  Ugly-looking things to be sure, but worse when they are unfeasibly flopping about in sex-scenes.  Less Mull of Kintyre, more Black Isle.

To clarify, I've no problem with nudity and/or sex in media.  It's the manner of its presentation and its context, and reactions to same, that concerns me.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 08 December, 2013, 01:04:06 PM
Quote from: smilersaltash on 08 December, 2013, 12:19:48 PM
Quote from: GrinningChimera on 08 December, 2013, 01:06:27 AM
They Live

Great film. The fist fight between Roddy Piper and Keith David seemed a little stretched out but the story line was great. And the acting wasn't bad. Plus you got to see [spoiler]a pair of tits[/spoiler] at the end. Can't go wrong there.

Personally, I think the mark of a good film is a lack of gratuitous nudity or sex scenes. A film should engage and hold the attention of an audience without pandering to the adolescent fantasies. Well said Mr Moderator.
Hooray for ultra conservatism!

Don't be so stupid.

Hawkmumbler

I couldn't care less. Balls is balls. Vag is vag. By tabooing the human body we only create an atmosphere that these body parts are somehow disgusting.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 08 December, 2013, 03:37:06 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 08 December, 2013, 01:04:06 PM
Quote from: smilersaltash on 08 December, 2013, 12:19:48 PM
Quote from: GrinningChimera on 08 December, 2013, 01:06:27 AM
They Live

Great film. The fist fight between Roddy Piper and Keith David seemed a little stretched out but the story line was great. And the acting wasn't bad. Plus you got to see [spoiler]a pair of tits[/spoiler] at the end. Can't go wrong there.

Personally, I think the mark of a good film is a lack of gratuitous nudity or sex scenes. A film should engage and hold the attention of an audience without pandering to the adolescent fantasies. Well said Mr Moderator.
Hooray for ultra conservatism!

Don't be so stupid.
Erm.....

CrazyFoxMachine

I always liked the immature furore surrounding, say, Dr Manhattan's penis in the relatively tame Watchman adaptation.

I think if people had a less prudish attitude generally then it wouldn't be such a big deal - and if it wasn't such a big deal then people wouldn't feel the need to point it out all the time - or to stick human wobbly bits in art purely for the shock/perve factor.

Again I have to agree with Tordel - it's the laddish "Cor guys, check this out. Phwooarr. Eh? Eh? Yeah we're in this together I'm not alone thinking this it hot am I? Good. Good. We're just all blokes sitting together having a good old perve" element which I'm uncomfortable with. It's fine to perve in your own space but to publicly broadcast it has become a bit of an ugly thing on the internet. This ain't the place to do it, there are dedicated forums for mutual perving. I've deleted loads of FB friends who just post pictures of women going "COR WOT A STUNNER" or the 'sensitive male' equivalent which doesn't wash with me "what a well proportioned and beautiful individual, let us take a moment to look at her together". Either way, if you knew her it'd be weird and you don't so you're objectifying a stranger in public. To like, 200 people who don't know you well enough to judge whether or not you treat all women you meet like objects.

[/rant]

Back to films. I'm about to watch 12 Angry Men which is phenomenal and has no boobies in it.

sheldipez

Bring it on I say, it's about time men were objectified in movies too. At the very least, it would be nice if movies had equal amounts of both, something for me and the wife.

Hawkmumbler

Back on topic i re watched the theatrical cut of Deep Red recently. It's still the best example of a Giallo and Argento's best film. I have yet to see the directors cut but it's 25 minuets longer, so it'll be interesting to see what content was removed for over sea's viewers.

sheldipez

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 08 December, 2013, 03:42:53 PM
Back on topic i re watched the theatrical cut of Deep Red recently. It's still the best example of a Giallo and Argento's best film. I have yet to see the directors cut but it's 25 minuets longer, so it'll be interesting to see what content was removed for over sea's viewers.

I like the genre but the only Argento movie I've ever liked was his segment in Two Evil Eyes. Pulls a great performance out of Kietel.