Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

I've been feeding a trio of foxes that keep coming to the small garden round the back of the family home.
Probably shouldn't but i've grown quite fond of them actually, plus it keeps them from trying (and failing) to squeeze into the cat flap.

JohnW

Yes, but are you feeding these foxes stimulants?

(On an unrelated note, but seeing as it's you: I think I saw a hawk on Sunday. Brown thing with large wingspan. It was gone before I could get a better look. Calling after it was no use. If only, I thought, there was someone I knew of who could communicate with hawks, albeit in a low and indistinct voice!)
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Link Prime

I got deer, boys.
Everything from little Bambis to big effing stags. And a lot of 'em.

Beautiful but brazenly annoying creatures.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: JWare on 17 January, 2023, 12:49:18 PM
(On an unrelated note, but seeing as it's you: I think I saw a hawk on Sunday. Brown thing with large wingspan. It was gone before I could get a better look. Calling after it was no use. If only, I thought, there was someone I knew of who could communicate with hawks, albeit in a low and indistinct voice!)

The spirit of Rutger Hauer rides again, but never the two shall meet.

JohnW

Quote from: Link Prime on 17 January, 2023, 12:55:26 PM
I got deer, boys.
Everything from little Bambis to big effing stags. And a lot of 'em.
Your deer might be bigger than my sparrows, but do they have a coffee habit? Are they at least all fucked up on diet pills?
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Funt Solo

It's squirrels round 'ere. And a particularly wasteful bald eagle.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Some years ago when I took up lorry driving again after a decades long break, I noticed that the sparrows (and other small birds) on lorry parks had learned to reach in through the front grilles of the bigger trucks to pluck ready-cooked bugs out of their radiators.

Nowadays, robins hang around wherever I'm working in case I move something that might reveal a smorgasbord of slithering snacks, which they fall upon with speedy relish.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: JWare on 17 January, 2023, 09:29:50 AM
I have caffeinated sparrows.
They congregate in a bush that overhangs the little concrete yard behind my kitchen. The yard is only big enough for the wheelie bins and it's littered with leaves from the bush above and by the dregs from my morning pot of coffee. The coffee sludge is chucked out there and left to dry. Sometime in the future it gets swept up along with the dead leaves, and the snail shells, and the rest of the organic rubbish, and put in the bin.
I've only started noticing the sparrows this past year because of their numbers and the noise they make. It occurs to me that they're there for the coffee. When I see them pecking away in the little yard, it may not be seeds they're after, but coffee grounds. That might explain their liveliness. I have caffeinated sparrows.
No wonder they're all chirrupping loudly at the same time and flying in rapid little flurries – going nowhere but going fast.
These sparrows are buzzed.
I can hear them now, cheeping at each other like they've got a million ideas for a tech start-up.

This is comedy gold. I'm quite sure it's true.

It really lightened my mood after a bad day. Thanks.
Lock up your spoons!

JohnW

My pleasure, Doc.
Every word of it true.

paddykafka

Just imagine what would happen if you decided to switch to decaff coffee? Lots of strung-out sparrows is just too horrible to contemplate. Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds" would be in the halfpenny place, mate. :)

The Legendary Shark

Like a Sparrow out of Hell.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Spikes

Oh look, my log-in details. So that's where they ended up... *blows dust off scrap of paper*

Link Prime

Quote from: Spikes on 19 January, 2023, 09:31:15 PM
Oh look, my log-in details. So that's where they ended up... *blows dust off scrap of paper*

How you doin old timer?

JohnW

Piece of paper? You'll find things have changed.
When I joined last year I had to have my log-in details encrypted into a barcode tattooed onto my forehead – and no, Rebellion was not going to pay for the tattoo. Failure to maintain a legible forehead is punishable by demerits.
Still though, it's a grand old forum and I'm lucky to be here.

Spikes

Quote from: Link Prime on 20 January, 2023, 09:18:22 AM

How you doin old timer?

I'm doing well thank you Rich.
Hopefully all is good for you and for t'others on here.

Four years gone..... lot of catching up to do.....