Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Could end up eating my words but try as I might I just cannot understand the point/appeal of smartwatches and really can't see them catching on.

Isn't the whole point of smartphones that they replace/consolidate existing gadgets into one device? I haven't felt the need to own any kind of watch in 10+ years. Totally obsolete in my mind.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I don't think wearable technology will ever catch on. Makes ye look like a prat. Wrist watches are the only notable exception.
You may quote me on that.

von Boom

Would you wear this rad?

Link Prime

Quote from: King Pops on 09 September, 2014, 07:11:49 PM
I don't think wearable technology will ever catch on. Makes ye look like a prat. Wrist watches are the only notable exception.

He knows what time it is.

Frank

I like the idea of your smartphone disappearing into something you would be wearing anyway, like your jacket or glasses, but we're years away from that. The i-swatch is pointless, but they needed something new to announce at an event where they're trying to sell the same stupid £500 phone for the sixth time.

radiator

I'll be buying an iPhone 6 to replace my iPhone 4 which is slowly dying after 3.5 years of heavy use and also, with the 128GB storage also finally allow me to replace my 5 year old iPod Classic - I'm also very interested in the updated camera - but yeah they do seem to be casting about aimlessly for innovation.

I had heard a late rumour that the iPhone 6 would be drop, water, dust-proof which would have been actually practical and useful (amazed that this isn't already the standard) but it seems not...

The watch though - it just seems like something that would only be of interest to the kind of people who buy gadgets for the sake of it, but most people will surely just see it as yet another screen. Surely any productivity/organisational advantage from having it would be outweighed by the time the user would spend fannying about with apps/syncing etc?

radiator

Not to mention having yet another device that needs charging every few days/hours.... And it's evidently not waterproof either.

The more I think about it the more convinced I am this will be - if not a disaster for Apple - then at least something of a misstep. They can't seriously think this is a mass-market product can they?

Happy to be proved wrong though - it wouldn't be the first time!

Theblazeuk

I think it's unlikely the iWatch will be the huge success of the rest of Apple's products, but that enough wealthy/misguided fanatics will get one as an accessory to make them money.

von Boom

The iWatch may actually become become popular among some people:

SuperSurfer

Not sure that I get a lot of the complaints about Apple not being innovative any more.

It's not as if they are inventors. They didn't invent MP3 players, tablets, smart phones or smart watches etc.

Possibly the only real innovation they made was the original Mac operating system – which was a very long time ago. It could be argued that they merely develop and improve on products that are already being made, the difference being that they make them better and easier to use. Well, in the opinion of many people, me included.

As for the Apple Watch – I haven't owned a watch for many years as I've relied on my phone. I've considered buying a watch but anything half decent is super expensive. But I don't like the idea of walking around with something expensive on show so I doubt I will be getting one. My current iPhone is pretty old and I'm due an upgrade so I will be getting a new one for sure.

I know of people who splash out on numerous super expensive games consoles (one console isn't enough – they have to have multiple platforms by competing companies) and super expensive games – funny how they don't get called every name under the sun.

Goaty

WHY IS THERE A U2 ALBUM IN MY iTUNES???????

Proudhuff

Quote from: Goaty on 11 September, 2014, 03:41:00 PM

Did you take your tinfoil hat off again? I told you this would happen Larry.
DDT did a job on me

Skullmo

You listen to U2?

All respect  . . .lost
It's a joke. I was joking.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Skullmo on 11 September, 2014, 03:51:39 PM

You listen to U2?

All respect  . . .lost

nobody got a choice - if you've got i-tunes, you've got the new U2 album. Surely there's a human rights violation in there somewhere?

Bubba Zebill

"Was neil armstrong actually 20ft tall when he came back to earth?"...sigh... https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130506170221AAp9fnU
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105