Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Working with deaf freelance from Ireland, and he looks like young version of Karl Urban! I must be stopped with Karl Urban stalking!

Satanist

Quote from: King Pops on 09 October, 2014, 09:12:32 PM
I've heard a similar conspiracy about J.K.Rowling. Apparently that's not her real name and she is just the front for a sinister cabal of writers who precision engineered the perfect kids story with an aim to create a billion dollar global franchise

That's not a conspiracy theory but actually an episode of the Simpsons. Neil Gaiman is part of the group with Homer and Professor Frink and at the end of the show admits he's illiterate. One of the better later eps I thought.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 11 October, 2014, 03:56:48 PM
I have no idea what that's from or who wrote it but I like it.

sorry Sharkie, missed this. it was Evlis Costello from the Blood and chocolate LP.
DDT did a job on me

Link Prime

Quote from: sauchie outbreak on 09 October, 2014, 06:27:17 PM

You might imagine that small differences between photographs of the same person can be explained by different angles and lighting, and the malleability of human physiognomy; these guys aren't fooled so easily.

http://www.thebeatlesneverexisted.com

They can spend millions cloning back-ups of Macca, yet still can't get his astonishingly bad dye-job to look remotely natural.

Satanist

Lets have the board clear up a drunken argument me and the mates had the other night. First off apologies to any Welsh boarders, I've nothing against the Welsh I'm just using them below as an example. I've been to Wales twice and had a lovely time.

If I call a Welshman a "Twat" then I'm just being rude (unless he is a twat).

But if I call him a "Welsh Twat"  is it Racist, Xenophobic or something else?

Also to clarify the argument was about the definition of the words and not about something someone said. We did Google in the pub but most of the definitions we found were quite ambiguous or similar.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

von Boom

Quote from: Satanist on 16 October, 2014, 04:37:12 PM
Lets have the board clear up a drunken argument me and the mates had the other night. First off apologies to any Welsh boarders, I've nothing against the Welsh I'm just using them below as an example. I've been to Wales twice and had a lovely time.

If I call a Welshman a "Twat" then I'm just being rude (unless he is a twat).

But if I call him a "Welsh Twat"  is it Racist, Xenophobic or something else?

Also to clarify the argument was about the definition of the words and not about something someone said. We did Google in the pub but most of the definitions we found were quite ambiguous or similar.

I think it depends on how many twats are in the room at the time. Do you need to clarify which twat is which? In that case Welsh twat may just be a method of clarification.

I, Cosh

I suppose it depends if he's with a bunch of other twats of various nationalities and you want to be clear about exactly who you are insulting, in which case it's simply descriptive and you are merely being precise. You Scotch prick.
We never really die.

amines2058

I am Welsh, and quite possibly a twat, and if confronted with that outburst I would be more offended with the 'Twat' aspect, than the 'Welsh' prefix. I would not find it racist or homophobic.
Now sheep-shagger on the other hand is a different matter altogether (and a fun activity!!) ;)

...that was a joke by the way before the rumours start...........again!

von Boom

Grugz

Quote from: amines2058 on 16 October, 2014, 04:59:07 PM
I am Welsh, and quite possibly a twat, and if confronted with that outburst I would be more offended with the 'Twat' aspect, than the 'Welsh' prefix. I would not find it racist or homophobic.
Now sheep-shagger on the other hand is a different matter altogether (and a fun activity!!) ;)

...that was a joke by the way before the rumours start...........again!

rumours nuttin we all saw the pictures.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Dandontdare

Quote from: amines2058 on 16 October, 2014, 04:59:07 PM

Heard a Canadian comedian at Edinburgh fringe do a routine in which he said he was happy to be in Scotland "but I hear you guys shag sheep" -  someone inevitably shouts "that's Wales", to which he responds "you shag whales? My God, you people really are hardcore!"

Spaceghost

Sorry to be all boring and politically correct, but in nearly all cases, unless it is the specific topic being discussed, it is at worst racist and at best inappropriate to highlight someone's race, particularly to precede an insult (even a jokey one), but it obviously depends how well you know each other.

I'm trying to teach this to my kids at the moment, that race and/or colour should never be used to single out or define a person. And it should never be used even to describe a person ("He's the black one") as that in itself is lazy and demeaning.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

The Legendary Shark

If a black person says "I'm proud to be black", that's perfectly all right.
If I proclaim "I'm proud to be white", that's most certainly not all right.
And what the Hell is wrong with calling a black person black? If you wanted to point out one black person in a crowd of white people you'd say "the black person over there." Similarly, if you wanted to point out one white person in a crowd of black people, what's wrong with saying "the white one"?
Using a person's skin colour or race as a descriptor isn't racist in my book - but harming someone on those bases is racist, not to mention just generally vile.
All that political correctness is doing is turning words like "black" into minor profanities. Orwelian Madness.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Spaceghost

I just think people, especially kids at school, have the right to be defined by something other than that they're the black one.

I don't think I am overly political correct, but I just find that sort of thing annoying.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

The Legendary Shark

This should probably be on the Political Thread but I'll just point out that saying "the black guy over there" no more reduces a person to nothing more than their  skin colour than saying "the guy in the red coat" reduces that person to their choice in clothing. What's next? Will we be banned from calling people girls, boys, women, men, old, young?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]