Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molch-R

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 02 December, 2014, 04:01:05 PM
Is there a 'trekkie' style term for 2000AD lovers? Dredd-Heads? Thrill-fiends?

Squaxx dek Thargo has always worked quite well :)

ZenArcade

Hey Molch R, can you get Tharg to wing a few copies of 1909 over to Belfast....bit of a Thrill drought over here. Z :(
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Theblazeuk

If you haven't already, I'd check out the BBC's oddly-advertised Sci-Fi season: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01ytdbm/my-life-in-science-fiction-1-stories-from-the-stars

Some very interesting bits of insight into the production of Alien, 2001 and even Avatar. Plus some inspiring words from some of the assembled talking heads; Uhura (Nichelle Nichols) talks about how NASA asked her to be the face of their female/minority recruitment drive "It is top, it has to happen, it must happen now, not later - that's who we are, we're going like you where no man or woman has gone before. It's not just a story. We're going to do it."

von Boom

The Legendary Shark

I always wanted to be buried rather than cremated. It always seemed peevish for people to be cremated, like burning your house down after you've moved out or setting fire to the car you've just sold. It's like saying to the Earth, "this is mine and you can't have it", even though she built and maintained it for you. Then there's the waste of energy and that absurd, game show conveyor belt through the hatch, red velvet curtains and a song. The only thing that's missing is a big THE END sign.
I'd rather be buried so that my body can be turned into bacteria and grubs and butterflies and birds. I wouldn't be averse to that ancient burial rite of being left out on a platform for the birds to pick clean. Or burial at sea to say thanks for all that Co-Op sushi I've grown partial to recently. Even Resyk, at a push. Something useful to the Earth, you know?
Sure, decomposing bodies ooze all sorts of nasty toxins and assorted hobgoblins but it's all easily dealt with. Just don't burn my body, is all. Don't waste it.
Heh, reading that back it kinda' sounds like a suicide note! Rest assured (or mutter curses under your breath) it isn't. I intend to die aged over 1,000, having visited hundreds of planets, met scores of other races, made dozens of friends and fathered countless offspring - and not a minute sooner!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

You can actually have your ashes mixed with compost and seeds of an indigenous plant in Australia now so a tree grows in your resting place, I can hardly think of a more sustainable way than that!

The Legendary Shark

I think I'd rather have a thicket - "something prickly and difficult to eradicate" would suit me fine - the uglier the better!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

von Boom

This thread keeps getting derailed in the most strange directions.

Molch-R

Quote from: ZenArcade on 02 December, 2014, 06:16:10 PM
Hey Molch R, can you get Tharg to wing a few copies of 1909 over to Belfast....bit of a Thrill drought over here. Z :(

When newsagents/comic book shops do you frequent? Shouldn't have been a problem with 1909.

ZenArcade

Forbidden Planet and Easons. None in both. Guy in FP hopes to have one for me this wed. I hear a lot of people were asking last week in Belfast. Z

Molch-R

Quote from: ZenArcade on 07 December, 2014, 01:58:53 PM
Forbidden Planet and Easons. None in both. Guy in FP hopes to have one for me this wed. I hear a lot of people were asking last week in Belfast. Z

That's quite odd - I'll mention it to our distributors tomorrow.

ZenArcade

Cool, this week's was there no problem, but I'd say a lot of Squaxx are keen to pick up the missing one. Z

The Legendary Shark

I hardly ever remember my dreams. This is very frustrating because I often awake knowing that I've just had a brilliant, or terrible, or enthralling experience but have no recollection of it at all save for the certainty that it was brilliant/terrible/enthralling.
The worst part is that the rare dreams I do remember are usually rather dull. Maybe it's my subconscious telling me that I should become more interesting. Or maybe I should lay off the vodka.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

well if you ever wish to give up the ciggies, forget them vapers, try the nicotine patches, they give you some vivid dreams. I'm on them at the moment (day 24 and only blagged one) and they always give me the most convoluted, narrative and believable dreams I've ever had. I can't always remember the details, but I wake up feeling like I've not just watched a full movie, but starred in it.

Professor Bear

If you want to give up ciggies, the one piece of advice I've heard from people who have successfully done so without ever getting back on the wagon has been to just make a clean break and don't use any kind of placebo or substitute, as all this does is make you think of the ciggies you aren't having.