Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 05 December, 2015, 09:37:09 AM
Not immediately in my case, sadly. But I got there in the end. Maybe I should GOM.

Sorry, somehow managed not to read any post between Tordel's second to last one.

Von Boom: stupid? It's positively American ;)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

ZenArcade

Eyebrows I think channel perspiration away from the eyes. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

TordelBack

They do indeed, albeit badly, but I think from an evolutionary perspective MIK has the right of it - vital elements of reading facial expression at a distance in a hairless chimp that uses theory-of-mind to juggle complex social relationships.

Goaty

Confused Vincent Vegas?

von Boom

Socrates was an incredible philosopher. He really changed the way we thought, the way we approach so many aspects of our lives!
Here's a little story.
Socrates was walking through the agora when one of his young students ran up to him, calling his name.
"Socrates! I just heard an enormous rumour about someone that you should know!"
"Wait," said Socrates. "Before you tell me this thing it must first past the three tests of rightness. The first test is truth. Is what you are about to tell me true?"
"Well, it's a rumour, so I can't say for sure."
"So you don't know if it is true," said Socrates." Very well, there is the second test, the test of goodness. Does this rumour say something good about the person it pertains to?"
"Actually, no, it does not."
"So you want to tell me something bad about someone that may not be true," said Socrates. "It doesn't look good. But you may still pass the final test, and that is the test of usefullness. Are you going to tell me something that I can use to make myself a better person?"
The student hung his head. "No, teacher, it is not."
"Well," said Socrates, "you were going to tell me a rumour about someone that is bad, of which you cannot ascertain the truth, which I will not be able to use to improve myself. Then I do not want you to tell me this rumour!"

This is why Socrates was such a great man!

And why he never found out Plato was knocking off his wife.

Dandontdare

The Guardian's regular  "How we made..." feature today is on 2000ad with input from Pat Mills & Kevin O'Neill - nice anecdote about Graham Linehan I hadn't heard before: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/dec/08/how-we-made-2000-ad-judge-dredd-comics-interview

Fungus

Quote from: Dandontdare on 08 December, 2015, 11:14:00 AM
The Guardian's regular  "How we made..." feature today is on 2000ad with input from Pat Mills & Kevin O'Neill - nice anecdote about Graham Linehan I hadn't heard before: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/dec/08/how-we-made-2000-ad-judge-dredd-comics-interview

Enjoyed the Buster comment too  :)

Proudhuff

Bloody 'Transport for Edinburgh' at it again:

DDT did a job on me

Theblazeuk

Mark Kermode reviews FutureShock on the 5Live podcast

And in other filmy type stuff, Idris Elba as Roland Deschain (AKA The Gunslinger from Stephen King's Dark Tower series)? Sure, I'm in. I quite liked the first book even if the sprawl killed it off for me by book three. And big dris would be a good choice I think.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: von Boom on 07 December, 2015, 09:43:01 PM
Socrates was an incredible philosopher...

This is why Socrates was such a great man!

And why he never found out Plato was knocking off his wife.

Brilliant!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

FINALLY got all the chrimbob shopping done. :D

TordelBack

Bartender, I'd like a Manhattan please.

von Boom