Main Menu

Favourite CLASSIC art droid - SEMI FINALS - Ron Smith or Cam Kennedy

Started by Colin YNWA, 03 February, 2021, 06:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue Judge

Quote from: broodblik on 03 February, 2021, 07:30:02 AM
Quote from: Rogue Judge on 03 February, 2021, 07:17:18 AM
I'm actually not sure what direction I'll vote on this one...I'll sleep on it. Two absolute favorites!

Rogue or Judge

Ha nicely done. Believe it or not, that comment helped with my decision. If this thread was "Favorite Classic Dredd Artist" my vote would have gone to Ron, just barely. I love the chin he draws on Dredd and all the zany cits of MC1. However, taking Rogue Trooper, VCs etc. into consideration (plus Cam's incredible Dredd) I have to go with Cam Kennedy.

broodblik

Pleasure helping out my follow Cam-you-can-do-no-wrong fanboys :)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Funt Solo on 03 February, 2021, 06:04:23 PM

FANTASTIC demonstration of Cam's abilities! This reduces my cognitive dissonance regarding my decision.

Max Headroom

Both artists are amazing. But for me, Big Ron Smith just wings it.

Andy B

Both great Dredd artists, obviously, but Cam Kennedy was great at everything, so he gets the win.

O Lucky Stevie!

Both Cam & Ron were mainstays on my two least favourite thrills during the Golden Age of the Eighties: Dredd & Rogue Trooper. However, there was just something about Ron''s work, his attention to detail, his ability to capture the sheer lunacy of the cits that gave me an entry point into the world of Dredd, whilst Cam's genius is something that I admire in retrospect. In fact, when I hear or read the word Dredd it is Ron''s version that springs to mind.

W high is a long-winded way of saying that I didn't even have to think  about who deserves my vote on this one.

It can only be Ron Smith
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Link Prime

sixmo

I love all the many many Mega City One cits, punks, spugs, juves, dults, tap gangs, vigilantes, bat gliders, scrawlers, muties, troggies, fatties, uglies, blobs, freaks, rogue lawmasters, notorious cursed earth desperados, shapechanging alien blood beasts, simian mayors, grotesque failed entrepreneurs, and little Bonnie Crickle with her brain in a jar that Ron Smith gave us. However, I always had doubts about the way he drew the lawgiver in Dredd's hand. It never seemed to line up right to my eye which irked me back in the day.

Cam Kennedy's work is amazing across all the major series he worked on: Rogue, VC's, and Dredd. His Dredd work is not as extensive as Smith's, but he did draw some absolutely iconic characters. It was really Kennedy's work on Marlon 'Chopper' Shakespeare that turned him into an essential MC1 character and not Smith's earlier version. Two Ton Tony Tubbs, not much bounce, but look at that flab! Kenny Who? and his tragi-comic adventures are legendary. Top of the pile is Jacob Sardini in The Taxidermist. Magical work. I've previously mentioned my favourite panels of that strip where it is revealed that the Mrs. Sardini Jacob is speaking to has been stuffed and mounted by clever use of panel layout. Kennedy's action flow and feeling of weight and grit in his work is brilliant also.

I'm picking Cam Kennedy in this battle.

Colin YNWA

Two greatly loved artists here so if you haven't yet take ther time to celebrate them today and I'll announce the winner first thing in the morning.

Daveycandlish

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Dandontdare

Ron may have drawn more iconic stories, but Cam Kennedy in my eyes is the better artist.

JayzusB.Christ

'Kinell.  Definitive Dredd vs Other Definitive Dredd. I don't know if I can do this.  I'll have a think about it and get back to yous.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

This one was pretty close, though one artist always, just about had the edge. I also suspect this one throw up a number of votes that just couldn't make the call. I know I had a clear favourite here, but even there it was a little sad to count each vote for that favourite because I love the other droid's unique, human style so much. We're at that stage and so the honour of being the last droid to face the mighty Carlos goes to

Cam Kennedy

I personally can't think of a better droid to take that chance. Mind Ron Smith huh, what a superb tribute to him this vote is and we should continue that here.

JayzusB.Christ

Fair play.  I forgot voting was closed today, and I was coming back to vote for Cam after a very difficult decision-making process.  Cam did the best Mega-City of anyone, in my book, but Ron did the best Mega-Citizens.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"