Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: sheldipez on 11 March, 2013, 11:14:21 AM
Schwarzenegger's Total Recall, and he's just started pre-production on Conan, hopefully this is the beginning of the good stuff.

I brought that book as a Christmas present for my brother and neglected to skim through it myself. Is it a good read, does it have anything on Arnies reprisal of Conan in it.

sheldipez

Quote from: Mabs on 11 March, 2013, 12:07:46 PM
Schwarzenegger's Total Recall, and he's just started pre-production on Conan, hopefully this is the beginning of the good stuff.

Total Recall is one of my favourite Arnie flicks ever; i remember being blown away watching it for the first time as a youngster. I wish we could get more films like this, or better still, have Verhoeven come back and make something as thrilling and satire laden as his perfect sci -fi trilogy (Robocop, Total Recall and Starship Troopers - lets not talk about that other one starring a crispy fried Bacon i.e Kevin - pun intended!).

And its great news to hear Arnie will be reprising his iconic role of Conan! Arnie isConan!

Shit: i think we're discussing this in the wrong thread, sheldipez! :-\ :D

Haha I meant this Total Recall! and that he'd just started pre-production on Conan as of 1982 :lol:

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 11 March, 2013, 12:19:47 PM
I brought that book as a Christmas present for my brother and neglected to skim through it myself. Is it a good read, does it have anything on Arnies reprisal of Conan in it.

It's a good yet very dry read. Not a great deal of personality comes through and, as someone not at all interested in Bodybuilding, the section of the beginning of his career wasn't the most compelling. His acting has just started to get traction with Conan and details his initial meeting with infamous producer Dino De Laurentiis (it didn't go well thanks to Arnie's quip "Why does such a small have such a large desk").

Mabs

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 11 March, 2013, 12:19:47 PM

Its a book!  :o

I feel like a total twat now.  :(

Still, at least now i can add something to my reading list for the future.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

Quote from: sheldipez on 11 March, 2013, 12:38:21 PM

Haha I meant this Total Recall! and that he'd just started pre-production on Conan as of 1982 :lol:

Yeah i noticed! Thanks for the link mate, Cheers!  :D

My Twitter @nexuswookie

grthink

I'm on my third or fourth read of Thomas Pynchon's Vineland. It's probably my favourite of his books, and other than Inherent Vice one of the easiest to get through.

As I read it I'm drawing on some of the pages, trying to make a Pynchon version of http://humument.com/, but it's hard going -- I keep getting distracted with other projects, and the paper stock is weirdly pen resistant.

sheldipez

I read Batman: Venom last night by Denny O'Neil, one of those books that are so bad you're forced to write an amazon review as a warning. I was planning to go through the Batman Knightfall books but kinda hesitant to buy them now as it's the project that O'Neil went onto after the Venom arc and I couldn't cope with more of this out of character stupidity.

It wasn't all bad though as whilst I was over on amazon I came across a very cheap copy of Gerry Finley-Day & Carlos Ezquerra's Fiends of the Eastern Front which made me feel better.

grthink

Quote from: sheldipez on 12 March, 2013, 08:56:26 AM
I read Batman: Venom last night by Denny O'Neil, one of those books that are so bad you're forced to write an amazon review as a warning. I was planning to go through the Batman Knightfall books but kinda hesitant to buy them now as it's the project that O'Neil went onto after the Venom arc and I couldn't cope with more of this out of character stupidity.

I remember reading 'Venom' as a TPB near to when it came out and not finding it too offensively bad, but then I was 13 and had no taste, really. I read Knightfall again last year and I was surprised by how NOT rubbish it was, I was expecting much worse. But then I haven't read any modern Batman so have nothing to gauge it against. I do watch a lot of Batman: The Brave and The Bold, though, and tonally they're very different.

Um, IRL life my tone of voice would have made it obvious that I was being flippant about Brave and the Bold.

sheldipez

Quote from: grthink on 12 March, 2013, 09:58:07 AM
Quote from: sheldipez on 12 March, 2013, 08:56:26 AM

I remember reading 'Venom' as a TPB near to when it came out and not finding it too offensively bad, but then I was 13 and had no taste, really. I read Knightfall again last year and I was surprised by how NOT rubbish it was, I was expecting much worse. But then I haven't read any modern Batman so have nothing to gauge it against. I do watch a lot of Batman: The Brave and The Bold, though, and tonally they're very different.

Um, IRL life my tone of voice would have made it obvious that I was being flippant about Brave and the Bold.

Batman: Venom feels like the 1960's (or The Brave and The Bold) Batman trying to be all gritty and serious so that the writing comes of as just plain confused, you can either have the Frank Miller brooding Batman or the slapstick POW! Batman punching sharks in the sea, you can't have both in the same comic. Not to mention the world's greatest detective fails to see a bunch of clues until the plot requires him to. It's just a complete utter mess on so many levels.

Link Prime

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 10 March, 2013, 11:38:08 AM
Quote from: Link Prime on 09 March, 2013, 04:03:02 PM
Was Prog 2000 really the last time O'Neill graced the pages of 2000AD!

Er... no. He was in the 25th anniversary prog. Still, though... 11 years now!

I always forget about that Prog!

Back on topic- all the recent chatter regarding 'At the Mountains of Madness' has prompted me to seek out some unread Cthulhu stuff; picked up 'The Cthulhu Mythos Megapack' on iBooks for 49 Cent! Bargain.

Mabs

I'm reading Stickleback, and what a fine read it is too. Loving D'Israeli's artwork, its much different than his recent Lowlife stuff, but still superb.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Ancient Otter

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 March, 2013, 10:31:35 AM
Life and Death in Iron Age Ireland, Various.  I re-wrote the text and produced the illustrations for two of the articles in this book (about projects I managed) and supplied info for two others, and my name appears nowhere.  Good job I had my ego surgically removed along with my spine.  Anyway, most of the rest is good, and the topic is as exciting as this stuff gets.

Did you still get paid and royalties (if any) etc?

TordelBack

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 12 March, 2013, 11:07:47 PM
Did you still get paid and royalties (if any) etc?

Not a leath phingin.  But then nor does anyone else involved (well, there was probably some sort of grant towards the main editors' time at some point, but never the contributors) - publication of results is usually a condition of any licensed project, but unless it's state work it's usually impossible to get anyone to pay for it. It's for the love, man, the love

Mabs

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Basilisk

Yesterday i devoured, better than read, the Atomic Robo Real Science Adventures Trade. Man, i love Atomic Robo. For me it's enterteaining, funny, and interesting. This trade collects short stories, from here and there, like Free Comic Book Days ones, etc. The level is ever-changing, from normal, to nice, to very nice, etc.

It has some nice critics about the comic industry(the madness of the multi-variant insanity and quality of the 90s comics in general, at least the US ones), etc.

Nice, cheap, and entertaining to read. Now again i'll take Dredd's CCF1 to get a new dosage of Mega-City's Justice. Next will be the Ennis's Battler Britton trade.
Ah, Henry Peter Gyrich -- I should'a guessed. Tell me -- do you National Security Council Guys get a cheaper rate buyin' those sunglasses in bulk?

radiator

I've been really enjoying IDW's Ninja Turtles reboot, much to my surprise.

It's just very simple, very fun and unpretentious, with often cracking art.

Since buying my ipad, my comic-reading has really increased and I'm trying out new titles all the time.