Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milstar

Quote from: Funt Solo on 24 October, 2021, 05:04:33 PM
Scum

Way too brutal cinema, even by today standards. More gut-wrenching it is when you realize it's fairly realistic portrayal of borstal schools. That movie isn't made to be enjoyed at.

Tomb Raider

As I am writing this, I almost forgot the film. Runtime passes over too quickly and indicator of my dislike of the film lies in the 2013 reboot of TR, of which this is an adaptation. Not the Lara I remember. That had both grace and right physique, something that Alicia Vikander does not have. Plus, I don't find her sexy. And her grunts are painful to listen. The plot is strictly pedestrian and by the book. Lara's scenes with her Dad are rife with trite sentimentality. Main baddie is just another stupid, cardboard villain. And does every fantasy franchise has to have a grounded, gritty reboot?
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Funt Solo

Quote from: milstar on 25 October, 2021, 12:27:33 AM
Plus, I don't find her sexy.

This is exactly the problem I had with Nosferatu! He was fugly as fuck! And not in a good way. And The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - wtf? If they'd managed to get Robert Redford to play Tuco they could have changed the title to the The Good, the Bad and the Hawt, clearly improving the movie and culture at large! Sophie's Choice? More like Sophie's a Munter etc. etc.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Funt Solo on 25 October, 2021, 12:51:24 AM

This is exactly the problem I had with Nosferatu! He was fugly as fuck! And not in a good way. And The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - wtf? If they'd managed to get Robert Redford to play Tuco they could have changed the title to the The Good, the Bad and the Hawt, clearly improving the movie and culture at large! Sophie's Choice? More like Sophie's a Munter etc. etc.

I get your point, but Lara Croft was conceived* as a sex symbol. You're making a false equivalence here.

You're also criticising someone for judging an actor's looks while calling Meryl Streep a munter.

*admittedly in the 90s by tech bros
You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

Well, either I was being genuine (in which case I wasn't criticizing the original post) or I was being sarcastic (in which case I wasn't criticizing anyone's looks). You seem to have it that I was doing both at the same time, which is a strange reading.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

CalHab

Quote from: Mister Pops on 25 October, 2021, 02:02:14 AM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 25 October, 2021, 12:51:24 AM

I get your point, but Lara Croft was conceived* as a sex symbol. You're making a false equivalence here.

You're also criticising someone for judging an actor's looks while calling Meryl Streep a munter.

*admittedly in the 90s by tech bros

The recent Tomb Raider film is an adaptation of the rebooted games, which make a clear move away from the sexist and outdated view of Croft in the 90s game. The character is portrayed in the film in a very similar way to how she's portrayed in the game. Funt Solo's point is a good one.

Colin YNWA

I started watching Hawk the Slayer this morning as I'm off work for half term - thinking when the boy child got back from a trip to a cafe I'd get him into it...

... I switched its off as he returned - one consigned to the 'best left to the memories bin - alas.

CalHab

I've had that experience a few times recently. Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

milstar

Well, sorry for not swimming in modern waters. Sex appeal is large part of Lara's personality, having fandom across both male and female gender. Sex appeal is not sexist. And often draws people in (not gonna say that sex sells exclusively, but in some it's intrinsic part of the character).
When a modern like version of Robert Redford plays Larry Croft, let me know.

(Considering that I wrote in not very flattering terms about  TR games reboot in "Last game played" thread, I don't think my take of TR film is that starting).
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

judgeurko

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 24 October, 2021, 07:37:34 PM
DUNE (2021)

Absolutely blows chunks. If you enjoyed all the scenes of space ships landing in the SW: Prequels I'm glad someone made a compilation playlist for those weirdos.
So true. Hope we don't get the sequel.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: judgeurko on 25 October, 2021, 12:42:34 PM
DUNE (2021)

Absolutely blows chunks. If you enjoyed all the scenes of space ships landing in the SW: Prequels I'm glad someone made a compilation playlist for those weirdos.

Now see I hope we do. I didn't like it, at all, but a lot of fans of the book seem pleased so who am I to deny them a good time?

pictsy

Hellraiser III : Dream Warriors

oops, wrong franchise.

Hellraiser III : Hell on Earth

Yeah, there is some weird dream nonsense in this film that is a major part of the resolution but isn't really explored in much depth.

When I started watching this one it almost got me.  I thought for a moment it might be better than I remembered.  For a brief moment.  I still think it's crap.  However, I do think it's a lot better than a fair chunk of the Friday the 13th franchise.  Doug Bradley is fun in this film getting a lot more screen time.  The pillar that showed up at the end of II is better designed if not quite as a creepy.  It's pacing is pretty good and the narrative does flow well.  It's actually not unwatchable.  That's it for praise. 

The "psuedo-Cenobites" are just awful.  CDs, cameras, barb wire (I think this guy was a bar tender... the joke is very bad), piston (because sex, apparently) and.... a cigarette???  Motivations are again muddled.  What was established in the first two films seems largely abandoned for something more unclear.  It's not threatening, intimidating, scary, tense, creepy or disgusting.  It's just very, very dumb.  And dumbed down.  This has no edge.  And still, it's actually not unwatchable.

I'm hoping Bloodlines is the fun-dumb I vaguely remember it being.  I definitely remember thinking the space stuff was interesting.

Richmond Clements

DUNE (2021)

You hope people lose their jobs because you didn't like a film? Wow.

sheridan

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 25 October, 2021, 01:49:32 PM
DUNE (2021)

I'm hoping that had been intended as reverse-psychology to get the other half - but you can never tell on the internet...

von Boom

DUNE (2021)

I only hear two things about Dune - It's Great!/It Sucks!. No middle ground it seems.

Dune is my favourite book of all time. I read it at least once a year now. I will see this film but wait until I can watch it at home.

judgeurko

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 25 October, 2021, 01:49:32 PM
DUNE (2021)

How can people lose jobs when a sequel hasn't been greenlit yet? Have people already been offered employment for a film that hasn't been given the go ahead yet? A strange thing to do.