Main Menu

The Trailer Thread

Started by radiator, 16 November, 2011, 02:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Worse than genuine,  it's an adaptation of Shanley's own play Outside Mullingar, so it's already been on Broadway and received much-deserved criticism for its cultural vandalism. And yet it proceeds, with all those otherwise decent actors, in full knowledge of what it is.

ASIDE: My Dad was a guide for a tour-coach company. A passionate amateur historian, he had written and honed a detailed cultural patter for all his routes (which it was my great pleasure to consult on), which included everything from prehistory to the GAA, folk heroes and mortified saints, Joyce to Father Ted, famous people's houses and movie locations. To his horror the most popular part of his favourite route ("The Grand Wicklow") was an ordinary looking bridge. Accompanying him on the bus one time, I watched in amazement while the whole coach decanted onto the side of the road and photographed each other on the bridge, while he remained aboard looking glum, where normally he'd be out there holding forth on some embellished story of 19th C roguery. It was, he reported, a bridge that had appeared in PS, I Love You, a film neither of us had ever seen, based on a book penned by our former Taoiseach's daughter, that neither of us had ever read. But at least 75% of paying customers knew all about it.  In his view the least interesting part of what was (and here I agree) a spectacular day's drive, but its inclusion guaranteed good tips.

Which just goes to show the continued importance of patent nonsense to the tourist industry. Bring it on,  says I, to be sure to be sure.

CalHab

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 November, 2020, 09:34:44 AM
Which just goes to show the continued importance of patent nonsense to the tourist industry. Bring it on,  says I, to be sure to be sure.

I sympathise. Visitors to Scotland are now herded around Outlander and Harry Potter locations, and see little else. Apparently it's what they want.

CalHab

You've got me to look up the play, and I've found this great piece by Fintan O'Toole:
https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/outside-mullingar-and-beyond-the-edge-of-awfulness-1.1700204

Could this rival Cats as the worst/most misjudged film of the decade?

Rately

Worse than genuine,  it's an adaptation of Shanley's own play Outside Mullingar, so it's already been on Broadway and received much-deserved criticism for its cultural vandalism. And yet it proceeds, with all those otherwise decent actors, in full knowledge of what it is.

ASIDE: My Dad was a guide for a tour-coach company. A passionate amateur historian, he had written and honed a detailed cultural patter for all his routes (which it was my great pleasure to consult on), which included everything from prehistory to the GAA, folk heroes and mortified saints, Joyce to Father Ted, famous people's houses and movie locations. To his horror the most popular part of his favourite route ("The Grand Wicklow") was an ordinary looking bridge. Accompanying him on the bus one time, I watched in amazement while the whole coach decanted onto the side of the road and photographed each other on the bridge, while he remained aboard looking glum, where normally he'd be out there holding forth on some embellished story of 19th C roguery. It was, he reported, a bridge that had appeared in PS, I Love You, a film neither of us had ever seen, based on a book penned by our former Taoiseach's daughter, that neither of us had ever read. But at least 75% of paying customers knew all about it.  In his view the least interesting part of what was (and here I agree) a spectacular day's drive, but its inclusion guaranteed good tips.

:lol: Christ!

I've seen that movie, owing to 50/50 Movie Night, and can confirm it is atrocious. Ireland reduced to farmers and people in pubs, most of whom have wildly inaccurate accents, and Gerard Butler "accent" doesn't even bare thinking about!

Jim_Campbell

So... there's a new, hilariously awful, trailer for the Snyder Cut of Justice League.

If you want to save yourself the bother, it's the usual Snyder palette, portentious slo-mo, lots of flames, Cohen's 'Hallelujah' again.

And they've managed to redesign much of the CGI, apparently by dint of handing the work over to a thirteen year old boy who's never read anything but Image comics from the 90s.

(Yep... if you thought Steppenwolf looked shit in the Whedon cut, hang on to your hats, folks, because you ain't seen nothing yet!)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Touch of Langley about that redesign, but not in a good way.

I'm not averse to the Justice League film, it has some fun moments amongst all the murk, and I love Leonard Cohen to an unreasonable degree, but it's very hard to believe that this trailer is professional work.

JayzusB.Christ

I haven't seen the film - much as I enjoy a nice long watch of Gal Gadot in costume, I lost interest after the Batman vs Superman one.  That trailer doesn't entice me much either; it looks like a film spliced with a sub-par Playstation game.  I suspect the Leonard Cohen song is an attempt to force in a level of depth the movie doesn't have; Snyder certainly did a good job of sucking out most of the subtlety of Watchmen.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

I, Cosh

Quote from: CalHab on 11 November, 2020, 09:45:46 AM
I sympathise. Visitors to Scotland are now herded around Outlander and Harry Potter locations, and see little else. Apparently it's what they want.
Ha. I was about to comment that the pub in the village where I grew up is basically kept alive doing lunches for bus tours visiting Outlander locations. Damn fools don't even realise part of Restless Natives was filmed on the other side of the hill!
We never really die.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 18 November, 2020, 02:12:53 PM
I haven't seen the film - much as I enjoy a nice long watch of Gal Gadot in costume, I lost interest after the Batman vs Superman one.

TBH, I don't think it's unwatchable. The production design retains Snyder's ugly-as-all-fuck aesthetic (apparently now ramped up to eleven for the Snyder Cut, if the trailer's anything to go by) but the paper-thin plot (broadly) makes sense. Gadot is as luminous as ever, Affleck is a perfectly fine Batman, Momoa isn't as much fun as in his own movie but is OK, although the rest kind of recede into the background. Plus, there are flashes of how good Cavill's Superman could have been if he'd ever been given a script written by someone who actually understands Superman.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 18 November, 2020, 01:42:08 PM
I love Leonard Cohen to an unreasonable degree, but it's very hard to believe that this trailer is professional work.

This project is so tied-up with those who campaigned for it and events in Snyder's own personal life that even song choices only mean something to them and no one outside the circle. A feeling of ill-judged pervades.

CalHab

I'm genuinely curious to see how the Snyder cut will perform, as I don't see it having any sort of appeal to a general audience. Maybe I'm wrong?

Obviously I'm not curious to actually watch the film. It looks awful.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: CalHab on 25 November, 2020, 03:32:48 PM
I'm genuinely curious to see how the Snyder cut will perform, as I don't see it having any sort of appeal to a general audience. Maybe I'm wrong?

Obviously I'm not curious to actually watch the film. It looks awful.

I hope it's good, but part of me thinks it must have been shredded for a reason.
Lock up your spoons!

Woolly

Jim_Campbell

Trailer released for Season 3 of Doom Patrol... which looks to be continuing to lean into the Morrison/Case 'bugfuck crazy' vibe of the preceding two.

(Although there's no hint of it in the trailer, the first episode should wrap up the Covid-truncated second series.)

Tiplodocus

There's a HAWKEYE trailer out for the new series. It looks relatively grounded but also good fun but how much of the time is down to clever trailer makers vs. the actual show, we'll have to see.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!