Main Menu

Weird things you have in your desk drawer at work

Started by I, Cosh, 29 July, 2016, 03:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Was trying to find a pen with some wet ink in it and came out with a chain link remover and a hacksaw instead. My job is developing financial planning software.

How about you? Before anyone tries it, doublers of football stickers aren't weird.

NB Can also be at home if you don't work in an office (or your glove compartment if you're a driver, I suppose) but lets try and keep it out of the bedroom, eh?

We never really die.

Link Prime

I, Cosh

An excellent contribution. I especially like how you have made no attempt to turn them the right way up for the camera.
We never really die.

shaolin_monkey

Amidst the usual stationery, highlighters, notepads etc, I have an Admiral Ackbar figure, several used carrier bags, and a few tins of salmon.

SuperSurfer

A few Southern Contingent badges made by Whitbloke (shame he lost contact with the Southers, hope he is ok).

An unopened pack of one Russian Space Pen (pencil).

radiator

Assorted dog poo bags (empty)

A novelty pen with a carrot motif

A copy of Jurassic Park on Blu Ray

JamesC

A copy of Some like it Hot on DVD and some 10 year old newspaper clippings featuring Dear Deidre and a story about an escaped ostrich that caused "Rod Hull and Emu Style Mayhem".

Dandontdare

A pair of pink unicorn earphones. I've tracked down the previous three occupants of this desk who've all said "dunno they were here when I got here"

I, Cosh

Quote from: Dandontdare on 29 July, 2016, 07:34:13 PM
A pair of pink unicorn earphones. I've tracked down the previous three occupants of this desk who've all said "dunno they were here when I got here"
Excellent. Any chance of a picture?
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

In my old new desk at work there was key, securely taped in the top draw of the desk by the bloke I replaced. Not by just one bit of tape, but two crossed at right angles. It was done with deliberate care. I was busy in my new job and forgot to check what it was for after my first couple of enquiries, which revealed nothing. No one knew what it was for.

It built in my mind.

What was the mystery key?

What did it open?

Why was it taped to that draw?

The answer was revealed when I recently moved to a temporary office (before getting my long term temporary desk - when will my nomadic life settle?). I released what the key was for, I worked out its secret.

With trembling hands I lifted the first bit of tape, then the second which had crossed the first... I slipped it into the key hole I'd found, that it must surely be for. It fitted.

Perfectly. With a satisfying click.

I slowly twisted and YES! I was right, after three months of wonder I'd discovered its secret.

It locked the set of draws it was taped into.

I was little disappointed!

I, Cosh

Oh, Colin! How could you let me down like this?

Not the story - which was great - but the repeated use of "draw" instead of "drawer."
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

And to think I'certainly Friended you on Facie book too!

futureimperfect

A Hot Wheels Mystery Machine. And that's only because whenever someone brought their small children in it would always seem to disappear....spooky!

TordelBack

My three desk drawers are completely full of secondhand history books (and one LeGuin collection) which have gradually accumulated as I struggle to find a way to sneak them into the house without the wife noticing, possibly through some kind of shaking-them-out-of-the-trouser-leg scheme. There's only room for a Sharpie and a lone USB cable, hence my desktop is full of drawerworthy crap. As I share the desk in a very crowded open-plan engineers' room, I have to be careful not to open the drawers while anyone is about, or there'd surely be a claim for equal access.I just try to convey the impression that they are filled with precious light-sensitive archaeological objects, and hope no-one notices that that's what's spread all over my desk...

futureimperfect

Quote from: Tordelback on 31 July, 2016, 11:41:49 AM
I struggle to find a way to sneak them into the house without the wife noticing

Post them to yourself! Enclose a letter of congratulation along these lines

"CONGRATULATIONS. YOU ARE A WINNER! You have been randomly selected by our state of the art computer to win this big pile of old second hand books! Enjoy!"

And there ya go. In the house. No questions asked. Hopefully.