Main Menu

Thought Police: Are we allowed to query 'woke'?

Started by Tjm86, 24 September, 2020, 08:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Now, here's where the use of 'virtue signalling' gets very problematic for me.  By framing Marcus Rashford as a publicity-hungry fake, you get to justify your decision not to feed hungry children, even as you eat at your tax-subsidised canteen and throw other tax subsidies at posh restaurants to keep them open during a pandemic.

Maybe Rashford is doing it for the likes. I don't know. But either way up, the result of it is that poor children get to eat. Or not, I suppose, in this case.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1318963850016968705

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Accusing people of "virtue signalling" is a bit like saying "shouldn't we be arseholes, though?"

"You're so vain ... I bet you think this desire to feed poor children is about you, don't you? Don't you?" etc.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

shaolin_monkey

Accusing people of virtue signalling is just arsehole signalling really, isn't it?

shaolin_monkey

Haha, whoops! Sorry Funt - I see you've already made that exact same point!! 😆

Tjm86

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 28 October, 2020, 04:10:58 PM
Accusing people of virtue signalling is just arsehole signalling really, isn't it?

I thought that was wearing a Tory party badge ...

::)

Funt Solo

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 28 October, 2020, 04:25:25 PM
Haha, whoops! Sorry Funt - I see you've already made that exact same point!! 😆

Plenty of arseholes to label, clearly.  :-\
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Rashford may have scored a hat-trick last night, but don't get taken in by his blatant talent-signalling.
You may quote me on that.

Tiplodocus

So a chap on one of the Vegan groups I'm in started a discussion about the insult "soy-boy" and used a pretty poor choice of words in his post. He was immediately piled on for using ablist, transphobic and homophobic language. He continued to argue in same vein, the thread was shut and he was ejected as being a bigot.

That's a shame, I initially thought. We all use the wrong language occasionally. But then I looked at his FB posts (public). And yeah. He is a bigot. And conspiracy theorist. And Covid denier.

Not sure what my point is but I thought it strange that someone who shows compassion in one area of life gets it totally wrong in others.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Funt Solo

Aye, that reminds me of someone asking "What's the new fella like?" and the response being "Oh, he's okay - he takes a toke" - as if smoking the ganja is some kind of positive character reference, as opposed to a simple predilection.

That new Borat movie has two conspiracy theorist Republicans who think Biden drinks the blood of children, but who were kind enough to take Borat in and shelter him from the threat of Covid.

Nowt as queer. Also, aren't all Vegans [insert insulting stereotype here for humorous effect]?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 29 October, 2020, 09:24:22 PM
Not sure what my point is but I thought it strange that someone who shows compassion in one area of life gets it totally wrong in others.

It's the eternal contradiction of humanity, isn't it?  So many lovely people I know have their prickish side, and so many utter pricks are capable of surprising decency.

I can think of a number of old friends who are otherwise open-minded, gentle, generous people, but each have one specific area of bitter nastiness that they never seem to outgrow: sectarian, homophobic, anti-Traveller, respectively.

You wouldn't know anything about it until you push that specific button. And it really wouldn't be the one you'd associate with that flaw: the homophobe for example has at least two long-term close friends who are gay,  but to hear her talk about other LGBTQ+ people in her profession or public life is genuinely shocking.

So I avoid those topics, and increasingly over the years, them. It's sad, and I wonder are they even consciously aware of their own attitudes. I then wonder what my awful hidden-button-ism is. Possibly overly aggressive condescending atheism? Can't say I'm very tolerant of golf either. But I'm sure it's something far less innocuous.

milstar

so far only i've heard on the woke is the phrase "get woke, go broke" or it is "go woke, get broke", I forgot how exactly it goes.
life in contemporary times demands discussion on the various tacky issues involved. I say, if you want to discuss, then there shouldn't be taboo words and taboo topics. Hence why the notion of thought police scares me. At least let the people be arseholes if they want to. Like Sharky said, live your own life, doesn't matter if you get on the wrong foot with your family members, friends, least random strangers on the street.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

IndigoPrime

A really good piece (albeit with very strange slo-mo direction), and proof that people can change. Stories like that provide a lovely slice of hope.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

milstar

Mel Gibson against cancel culture in the Church.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjWjuEjs5sE

Unfortunately, Mel never discloses what it is all about so all the talk falls flat. As if he didn't want to go pissing off some people.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.