Main Menu

Now I Know My ABCs...

Started by Funt Solo, 31 March, 2021, 05:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Trying to collate appearances of The Kleggs.

So far, I've got:

The Day The Law Died (JD)
Night of the Bloodbeast (JD)
The Juve Mutated Kung Fu Kleggs (JD)
The Corps
The Kleggs (M201, their own one-off)
Meatmonger (JD)
Love Hurts (JD)
Saudade (JD)
Enceladus: New Life (JD)
Undercover Klegg (JD)

Plus Helter Skelter (alt. Grampus), Ace Trucking (generic foe) & solo appearances of Sensitive Klegg.

I expect I'm missing some..?

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

A-Z updates

++NEW SECTIONS++
- The Ballad of Halo Jones
- Blackhawk
- The Corps
- Invasion!
- Judge Dredd - 1977, 1978
- Maelstrom
- [Mechanismo]
- [Rafe]
- Tharg the Mighty
- Tharg's Alien Invasions
- Tharg's Dragon Tales
- Tharg's Time Twisters
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

A-Z updates

++NEW SECTIONS++
- The Alienist
- American Reaper
- Armoured Gideon
- Disaster 1990
- Judge Dredd 1979-2000
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

I just completed the Judge Dredd section, so it now runs from 1977-2021, and includes all prog, meg & specials content*.

I've tried to do crossover links with notable characters, who will have their own sections added in time - like McGruder and Otto Sump. These linkages are there in the Dredd data if you hover on the story title, it says (e.g.) "linked to Judge Hershey".

I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of Dredd and got half my data from my age-addled brain and the other half from Barney**. So I will have missed out some links - if you happen to spot any missing bits, please let me know and I can add them in.

*Except Heavy Metal Dredd and The Lost Cases, which will have their own sections. And it only goes so far as prog 2235 and meg 432, for the moment.

**The Barney character linkages dry up around prog 1933 and meg 335, so beyond those it's all my own research.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Well that is quite an achievement!

Also LOVE the choice of image. Perfect yet not one of the go toos so freshly original.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 26 June, 2021, 06:19:36 PM
Well that is quite an achievement!

Also LOVE the choice of image. Perfect yet not one of the go toos so freshly original.

Thanks, Colin. In dreamland, I would have a separate image for each of the years, charting something of the artistic changes over time, but image capture and editing is one of the biggest time sinks on the project, so, for now, it's just going to be that one.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Definitely Not Mister Pops

What I enjoy most about this project is the pure self indulgent nerdiness of it. Much like Buttonman's Beast, it is done for the author's own amusement rather than any algorithm manipulation or social media traction. The internet, and in turn the world, would be a much better place with more Funt Solos and less Mark Zuckerbots.
You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

A-Z updates

Mostly I'm trying to resolve tween-entry links with these additions (so blame Armoured Gideon, mostly), but then I couldn't resist adding Feral & Foe because I just finished the first series and it rocks my world. Realm snuck in as well. Demonic pact, probably.

++NEW SECTIONS++
- Abelard Snazz
- Ace Trucking Co.
- Agent Rat
- Angel
- Feral & Foe
- Harry Twenty on the High Rock
- The Helltrekkers
- The Mind of Wolfie Smith         
- Realm of the Damned
- Reaper Files
- Rick Random
- Robo-Hunter [3 blends]   
- Shako
- The V.C.s
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Lorenzo

[pedant alert]
I notice under Judge Dredd you have either accidentally shifted every Meg by one month or you think each year ends with a January  ;)
Meg 201 is January 2003, Meg 214 is Jan 2004, M227 is Jan 2005, &c. etc.

:thumbsup:

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Lorenzo on 28 June, 2021, 12:44:27 PM
[pedant alert]

Safe to say you're in a safe place on this thread!
@jamesfeistdraws

Tjm86

[pedant alert]
or you think each year ends with a January  ;)

Dunno, have we specified which Calendar we are using? 

Don't forget Russia celebrates the October Revolution but the rest of the world thinks it happened in November ...

Funt Solo

[pedant alert]
I notice under Judge Dredd you have either accidentally shifted every Meg by one month or you think each year ends with a January  ;)
Meg 201 is January 2003, Meg 214 is Jan 2004, M227 is Jan 2005, &c. etc.

:thumbsup:

Hail fellow pedant and well met!

I'm entirely willing to accept that I may be wrong about my year-placement on some publications (especially around the dec/jan barrier, naturally), but something made me do it that way - probably to do with cover dates not being publication dates and suchlike. (You probably already know that most monthly publications are cover dated for when they should be taken off the shelves.)

There's also that "looks like a Xmas issue, I think I'll just put it in December" motive. Could partly be that.

We should have a sub-forum of pedants to make a ruling on this.  :)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Just to follow up, you can see Meg 214 on Barney - it has a cover date of 13th January, 2004, but the cover says "MONSTER Christmas ISSUE", and it comes with a 2004 calendar (which you'd want to supply just prior to 2004, one would hope).

It does get bundled with 2004 when you buy it off Rebellion, but their bundles don't always match the actual publication date.

In my publication spreadsheet, I have Meg 214 published alongside Festive Prog 2004, then Meg 215 alongside prog 1372 (the second prog of 2005).

Caveat: still willing to accept I'm wrong.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Lorenzo

I think I get where you're coming from; the cover date has almost nothing to do with when it is available on the shelves. However, if you don't use that 'metric' to classify them, then what do you use? The in-shop-date is variable and isn't on the cover. So, if you just rank them by issue number there is no point in ranking them by year... and then it gets a bit confusing.
I think you're pretty much stuck with using what is actually printed on the cover otherwise only you will know what the date means and this isn't Through the Looking-Glass.

The ones I really have a problem with are the 'Christmas' Progs. They are all wrong! I don't know who dreamt up the alternate Prog numbers, but it was a bad idea. Progs 2000, 2001, 2002 etc all the way up to 2015 should be in the previous year. Prog 2000 is Christmas 1999. Sure, they are end of year double issues, but if somebody asks me where I was for Christmas 2000 I don't think they mean 1999! Otherwise, that way madness lies!  ;)

Let's not get started on the Winter Specials though. They appear to sport the correct date, but Winter is from December to March...  ::)