Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Creep vs Judge Karyn - Round 1 Heat 25

Started by Colin YNWA, 15 November, 2021, 06:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Just as you all start to get a little sick of voting on some sub-par thrills I'd dare to say week 4 of this Tourney actually has the strongest line-up so far. There's some real corkers to wrap your head around and some tough decisions to make.

When you were here before
Tharg couldn't look you in the eye
Some thrill as bad as Angel
They're stories made you cry
You vote like a trooper
In a thrillsucker's world
I wish they were special
Thrills can be so fuckin' special
And now we've got Creep
And another weirdo
What the hell am I votin' here?
They don't belong here*

*I actually quite like both of these but Radiohead don't really work with positive lyrics!

Which most rattles your thrill-receptors:

Creep - more info

Vs.

Judge Karyn - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday 18th November and the winner gets a place in Round 2 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

O Lucky Stevie!

Penny Dreadful 'orrors in the Undercity with the Mekon? Creep it is.

In a chilled heart beat.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

Karyn's stories weren't particularly memorable, although Adrian Salmon's art was striking.

I didn't enjoy Creep when it was first published, but reading it again in the Mega Collection liked it a lot.

Creep.

I, Cosh

I speed-read Creep when ploughing through the history of the Meg. My general impression was that it was a both a bit nasty and a bit dull. Not a great combination.

I don't recall much about Karyn's solo stories but she's been a supporting character in a couple of decent ones.

Karyn.
We never really die.

Barrington Boots

Couldn't be less of a fan of Creep. I don't rate the Karyn stuff hugely but my vote goes to her and her giant hair. Karyn please!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

AlexF

I mean, it's the battle fo the artists here. Salmon and Cullen both v. memorable and both elevated the stories. Creep had great vibes but no plots that ever made sense, or at least felt satisfying.
Karyn's solo stories had plots that were so intricate they were tough to follow (possibly some of that was Salmon's fault)

Ultimately I'm voting Creep because of the two I think I'd rather see a new story about him than Karyn, although I can't see that happening unless Si Spencer requested it in his will. I actually think someone could do something with the character, a super-powerful weirdo who doesn't actually have a big agenda beyond messing with people in low-key but murderous ways.

Nothing wrong with Karyn as a character but her solo stories, like Judge Hershey's, just couldn't find any personality.

rogue69

Link Prime

I quite enjoyed Creep at the time - having the lead as a nasty little mutated serial killer pervert was an entertaining premise.

The superb artwork by the Cullen Droid was something else, and would be the clincher for me even if I didn't prefer Creep over the memory-holed Karyn.

I'm lucky enough to have an original page of Cullen's art from this series too - absolutely beautifully drawn.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 15 November, 2021, 02:56:22 PM
I'm lucky enough to have an original page of Cullen's art from this series too - absolutely beautifully drawn.

Wow that's pretty cool. The art was a great example of a perfect fit for the tone and atmopshere of the story.

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 15 November, 2021, 02:59:22 PM
The art was a great example of a perfect fit for the tone and atmopshere of the story.

It really was.

Funt Solo

Creep was too much of a Creep - I hated him.

Karyn gets my vote.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Timothy

Both of these have exceptional art and art that fits perfectly with the subject matter. In terms of writing Storm Warning has some nice moments but hardly sets the world alight whereas Creep was actively uncomfortable to read with its wall-to-wall unpleasantness. For that reason I'm backing Karyn.

Timothy

Bugger. Mixing up my votes. Still Karyn though for the same reason.