Started by Colin YNWA, 06 December, 2021, 06:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Huey2

Tharg the Mighty.

I couldn't read a whole collection of these but I seem to recall a few of these being pretty good - particularly a handful of Ezquerra drawn ones in the 400s. Pretty funny and Tharg is always at his best when he's being a massive dick.

* - one featuring the mangled remains of artdroid Psmith being rescued at the last minute from Mek-Quake so that he can draw Bad City Blue with his one remaining eye and hand.
* - one featuring the new writer droid "The Beast" being sent to the wrong publication
* - one featuring Burt being shrunk into a paperweight as he's no good as an editor: " Lots of words and pictures in 2000Ad".

O Lucky Stevie!

The first series of Universal Soldier is one of the most cyberpunk things ever to appear in the pages of 2000ad as well as being hands down the best thing that Alan MacKenzie wrote for the prog that didn't have Luke Kirby's name attached. The introduction of Tim Kelly & his titular Eye was jarring. It came out of nowhere* & the resulting shift in the story line as well as the tone being was appositely complemented of the mighty Brett Ewins & a promising Simon Coleby delivering not their best work for the prog.

Alan Moore channeling TMO with The Shedding? Tharg the Mighty it is.

*Well yes, it was preceded by the Kelly's Eye strip in the 2000ad Action Special. But somebody forgot to tell Tharg that it was by far the weakest strip of the lot.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

AlexF

While I can't quite believe that Tharg is generating more goodwill than Max Brewster*, I will concede he had some hilarious covers.

*Now that I type in the actual character's name, I wonder if this is the heart of the problem. Alan McKenzie, champion of mediocre white men...

Magnetica

Colin YNWA

So it looks like being universal won't trump being in charge of the Galaxies Greatest. One day to add your voice to the debate and I'll count up in the morning.

BPP

Ridiculous square off between 2 goodies... ugh... Tharg for the nostalgia
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

JayzusB.Christ

Tharg.  I miss our little insights into the Nerve Centre, and his appalling abuse of the droids.  (Poor old Psmith!)  The last one I remember was a wee bit raunchier than we were used to, but no less fun for it.  Other highlights for me over the years included the TV series 'Beverly Hillbillies 90210' and 'Descaling Kettles the Jim Bowen Way,' as well as Burt becoming a paperweight.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Interesting one and frustrating one this. Universal Soldier was a decent strip, certainly the first story and generally the Tharg stories were a bit rubbish with fantastic art...but if I'd had to vote I'd probably have gone for Tharg cos much as they are rubbish I love the idea of them. I loved the peck behind the scenes. As BPP said Tharg for the nostalgia .... as it happens I've not had to get close to voting as this one drew a lot of attention and while both got votes

Tharg the Mighty

smashed in and will be fighting thrill-suckers into the 2nd round.