Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Urban Strike vs Dandridge Rd 1 Heat 52

Started by Colin YNWA, 07 December, 2021, 06:36:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Austin 3:16 says - I just voted for your ass.

Dandridge left me stone cold, whereas Urban Strike had at least some choice Mick Austin (*where is he now) artwork.

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

sheridan

Urban Strike was right in the middle of the infamous nineties period, in more ways than one!

Dandridge gets my vote, unreservedly.

JayzusB.Christ

Sorry, but I kind of liked Urban Strike, as an out-and-out piss-take.  Maybe it's mainly because it marked a time for me when the prog was on the mend (Two Wagner Dredds per prog, for example) but I'm giving it my vote.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

About Urban Strike, I wrote:

"With tongue planted firmly in cheek, this was partly a joke, and partly a cynical marketing ploy for a classic helicopter gunship game (sequel). Whacking "TM" next to the title was either subversive or a legal requirement: it's not clear which. The heavily-armed "Mystery Machine" is crewed by a bunch of action movie stereotypes who use polite metaphors in place of swearing, whilst also providing the birthplace of the expletive portmanteau beloved of Sinister Dexter: funt. They take gung-ho to new heights (or depths) in their mission to ... blow stuff up - usually innocent bystanders (like in Team America). The joke has been told by the first episode, but this spins out of control for another five."

I didn't enjoy it much at the time, but it was fun on a re-read. It gets subversion plus points for all the gratuitous death created by the out of control military.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

davidbishop

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

So just as Trash is doing okay Urban Strike is doing a lot better than I expected. How will this one go with the last day of voting today and I'll announce the result in the morning.

O Lucky Stevie!

Stevie has never been a fan of obvious humour. Doubtlessly the script droids has a lot of fun concocting the  panto for gamers that was Urban Strike, but it had a bit too much of the Mark Millars for this squaxx.

On the other hand, the Past Imperfect that introduced Dandrdge was beilliant & left this particular squaxx wanting more. When the retro-futurist fop finally found his own position in the prog, this  promise was well & truly exceeded  with bells on. Bells.

So the allohistorical days of Ford Cortina takes the flag this round. Dandridge it is.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Well far from being a white wash as this seemed like it was going to be after the early votes Urban Strike made quite the come back in the second half of the tie. It fair stormed but BUT

Dandridge

Had built a comfortable enough cushion to ghost his way into the second round.

DrJomster

Please can we have Dandridge back in the prog? Asking for a friend....
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.