Main Menu

Prog 2328: Mega-City Death Trip!

Started by IndigoPrime, 15 April, 2023, 11:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tomontherun94

Let me know when they announce the prequel, The Pre-Order

Hawkmumbler

Considering the present climate, I'm not holding out much hope for Postal Order.

Proudhuff

Please god no more :'(  Cancelled Order would suit me.

Fabby cover eye catching and a loverly design, more oil for those droids.

Dredd and wonderful addition to the Dredd stable, as a Jock I'm loving the Cal-Hab jokes, thought at one point Moniaive and their former resident was going to make an appearance!

Rogue looks great and is fun, but really wanting a big twist in this. 

The rest is all skippity skip for me.

DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

ooops enjoyed Red too, I do prefer when she is treated as a rounded character and keeps her clothese on, the who Red Sonja bra and pants outfit is soooo seventies
DDT did a job on me

Magnetica

I'm in two minds about The Order.

Yes it seems about to end without wrapping everything up. (Or should I say I have the impression there is a lot more that needs to be addressed, but as I haven't actually been able to follow it for years, I can't actually say what any of that is; but it feels like it?)

On the other hand I definitely don't want a sequel or any sort of spin-off  / follow on series.

Not unless it's way easier to follow.

Link Prime

Quote from: Magnetica on 21 April, 2023, 12:26:46 PMOn the other hand I definitely don't want a sequel or any sort of spin-off  / follow on series.

Agreed.

The Order has been running for ages, and has only ever veered between 'Good' and 'Okay' for me, more so the latter as it became almost impenetrable.

Let it rest, but give us more from the creative team of course (I'm Kek-ing myself in anticipation for the next chapter of Fall of Deadworld, and holding out hope that The Burns Droid will paint us a few more Dredds).

Here's hoping that Smithy has already given the nod of approval for the forthcoming Last Orders cover tagline.

Trooper McFad

Quote from: Proudhuff on 21 April, 2023, 11:03:22 AM...and wonderful addition to the Dredd stable, as a Jock I'm loving the Cal-Hab jokes,...

I too love the Cal-Hab language 😂 it's like reading the Broon's or Oor Wullie.

When this has appeared in the prog in the past I've always wondered how non Cal-Hab residents appreciated the slang and how the pronunciation can add to the phrase/joke.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Grush

Quote from: Magnetica on 21 April, 2023, 12:26:46 PMI'm in two minds about The Order.

Yes it seems about to end without wrapping everything up. (Or should I say I have the impression there is a lot more that needs to be addressed, but as I haven't actually been able to follow it for years, I can't actually say what any of that is; but it feels like it?)

On the other hand I definitely don't want a sequel or any sort of spin-off  / follow on series.

Not unless it's way easier to follow.

Yup I have only read the previous book and this one and have not understood a single page of it. Would be lovely to see John Burns on something else though.

Hawkmumbler

I recall loving The Order when it first dropped, but it's very much fallen into the admirable but safe niche previously occupied by The Red Seas as a wholly entertaining yarn that, much as I wish it did, never really became the sum of its parts.

That being said, it started fairly early on into my readership so it's been a ride seeing it all the way through from beginning to end, which is more than can be said for some strips that petered out in that time 'cough' Sexy ostriches 'cough.

Barrington Boots

I know a lot of us felt The Order was treading water and a bit and wanted the story to start moving towards a conclusion, but I'm not sure anyone was calling for the conclusion we seem to have got, which feels a bit rushed and could also potentially be setting up a new series.

Still an episode to go so lets see. I'd be very happy to see a spin-off if it took a more stripped back approach similar to the first couple of series we had. And 100% behind more J M Burns, especially if it's drawing something historical.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

IndigoPrime

Feels a bit like a slightly extended 1980s ending, in some ways.

maryanddavid

News of more Burns art is always welcome, and to be fair to KekW, his scripts are never boring. The order is impenetrable, dense, and confusing, but equally has great ideas and development that keeps me onboard and  interested. I'd buy a complete edition at the drop of a hat.

Durham Red has two great creators doing a decent DR story, I'd love to see them both do something else together. While this is enjoyable and readable, like the Dark Judges DR's story is told, for me at least.

Dredd, Neimand has a good handle on Dredd and Googe is an amazing artist, keep going.

I never understood the Rogue dislike, the mistake was letting him find the traitor ( or did he?). This is great stuff, how good is Goddard?  Vibes of Colquhoun and Gibbons and still being himself, artist of the week.

Enemy Earth, not for me. I qualify this by saying I read 2000 AD every week, and generally read everything in it. This story is not aimed at me, (I think), but it is well written, and certainly not too much decompressed storytelling, it  harks back to Wagner and Grants or Barrie Tomlinsons storytelling, action moving the story. The art style is accomplished, and clear, again, not aimed at me but has an unmistakable style, and TBH I couldn't imaging this story drawn any other way. OK, so maybe Enemy Earth is pretty good.......