Main Menu

Prog 2335 - The Deep End

Started by Colin YNWA, 03 June, 2023, 05:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well if Royal Mail keep this up I'll be back to expecting a Saturday Prog rather than it being a pleasent surprise!

Dredd okay I need to read both these psy-Dredd detector stories again as my often repeated beef aside about the premise, this would be a belter.

Void Runners is shaping up very nicely. Story is perfect for Boo Cook's hit/miss (with me) art. The story itself is fun, colourful stuff as well. Love the dialogue page 2 panel 3. Yep shaping up to be a winner this one.

Durham Red - building nicely to a conclusion with another great episode.

Enemy Earth - ends well. This story has been a considerable improvement on the first and got really good in the last few episodes. Sort out the storytelling issues with the art and the final part could be a treat.

Rogue Trooper is another blinder. Just superb work all round. Building nicely to conclusion with the troops metaphically going over the top for Rogue. Just brilliant and ends with a real moment of tension.

And there we have the prog's biggest problem. Two stories build towards exciting climaxes and the Dredd is heading the same way so Tharg drops a Regened next week stamping a little on that. Now I know the scheduling is what it is and I'm as behind Regened as its possible to be with the quality of stories we're getting sometimes BUT this timing is particularly unfortunate and Jango better treat us to one of his better efforts - certainly better than the first this year - or I'll be right grumpy next week!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 03 June, 2023, 05:57:41 PMEnemy Earth - ends well. This story has been a considerable improvement on the first and got really good in the last few episodes. Sort out the storytelling issues with the art and the final part could be a treat.
Huh?!? What do you mean...? When was this confirmed? Please tell me!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

broodblik

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 03 June, 2023, 09:25:32 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 03 June, 2023, 05:57:41 PMEnemy Earth - ends well. This story has been a considerable improvement on the first and got really good in the last few episodes. Sort out the storytelling issues with the art and the final part could be a treat.

In the letters page of prog 2333 Tharg said: The second book of Enemy Earth comes to a conclusion in a couple of week's time and then it will be back for the final arc towards the end of the year.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: broodblik on 04 June, 2023, 05:40:17 AM
Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 03 June, 2023, 09:25:32 PM

In the letters page of prog 2333 Tharg said: The second book of Enemy Earth comes to a conclusion in a couple of week's time and then it will be back for the final arc towards the end of the year.

Thank you for answering my question, much appreciated!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Barrington Boots

That cover is brilliant. I've struggled with the art on Enemy Earth but both covers its had this run have been fantastic, this one especially. Full of menace.

Dredd I needed a catch-up on the previous arc this week as I wasn't quite sure who was who this time around. This is a dense, fast moving story, feels perfectly paced and lovely art. Excellent stuff.

Void Runners Enjoying this too - it's a bit early to really get how this is going to be in terms of tone, but it's engaging and interesting, and it looks brilliant, very good fit for Boo Cook. I appreciate the crazy alien designs a lot.

Rogue Trooper This has kicked up a notch hugely for me since shifting back to Nu-Earth. Had huge expectations and now delivering, making me eat my previous foolish moaning words. Tense, gritty, Goddard knocking it out the park. I like how Rogue and his chums aren't sanitised in any way: he's a merciless killing machine. Great line this week from Gunnar emphasising that. I feel like an unhappy ending could be on its way.

As Colin says, a break for Regened right about now isn't welcome. Roll on a week Saturday!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

broodblik

Good prog

Dredd – This story is quite heavy and much more complex, and you have to keep your head on what is going on. Good stuff from the team.

Void Runners – Still very early but the story looks promising. It almost felt like in the second episode we had already reached the main goal but there is more to it than that. Boo Cook's art works with this type of story and I must confess that I am not always a "fan" of his work.

Durham Red – The story literally changes direction with the mission's objective changing, but it is all good stuff from Worley. Red is fighting her inner self. I was not surprised that her partner survived.

Enemy Earth – Much better than the first book and I am shocking myself to say this, but I am "actually" looking forward to the final book to see how it ends.

Rogue Trooper – Great first page with Gunner taking the centre piece. We start to understand the effect of the Black Hole and Rogue romps-up the action element. Great stuff and Goddard are hitting this for a proper six into the grandstand.

I will keep my reservations for next week but unfortunately the line-up for the regen does not look promising.

Richard

It seems odd to start a brand new series two weeks before a Regened. That should have been two Future Shocks, then the Regened, then Void Runners starting after that.

broodblik

My biggest problem with the regen issues are the timing of them and I see that the regen issues can be used as a in-between the start and end of series

norton canes

That's an awesome Enemy Earth cover. Feel like it could also be repurposed if they reissue the target adaptation of The Power of Kroll.

It's definitely a win for Blue over Red this week (and unlike the F.A. Cup final it didn't require years of financial impropriety) as the Stront strip rolls back on a character death and relies a bit too heavily on a character from the past to solve a present problem. By contrast, Rogue absolutely nails it. Guessing that at least one member of the WWI patrol remains on Nu-Earth to carry on the fight?

(This has been bugging me since the early days but exactly how does Gunnar use his targeting system? Seems to me he's only gonna shoot in one direction and that's the way he's been placed. Should he perhaps have had a little gimbal-mounted retractable tripod thing to stand on?)

'ITEOMUD' is definitely dense and knotty, but I like that it comparison to Kenny Niemand's generally terse dialogue. Still early days for Void Runners but I don't get a feeling there are any quirky hooks yet, plot or character wise. I got slight Nemesis vibes off it last week which are reinforced by the metallic spaceship creatures here. The tone seems fairly light-hearted without landing any actual laughs. Let's see how it develops.

Lovely Rob Davis cover for next week's Regened prog. Hope he's illustrating the story.

broodblik

Quote from: norton canes on 07 June, 2023, 12:43:58 PM(This has been bugging me since the early days but exactly how does Gunnar use his targeting system? Seems to me he's only gonna shoot in one direction and that's the way he's been placed. Should he perhaps have had a little gimbal-mounted retractable tripod thing to stand on?)

I cannot remember which story but I can remember that Gunner was a tripod sowing seeds of destruction

Quote from: norton canes on 07 June, 2023, 12:43:58 PMLovely Rob Davis cover for next week's Regened prog. Hope he's illustrating the story.

From a preview the Cadet Dredd story will be drawn by Neill Cameron. The name does not ring any bells not sure if he ever featured in the prog.

Barrington Boots

Neill Cameron drew Mega Robo Bros and Pirates of Pangea for The Phoenix. He also drew a great temporary tattoo for my wedding!
I've not been enthralled with Cadet Dredd by any means but a good comic artist and should be a good fit for the story.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 07 June, 2023, 01:45:36 PMFrom a preview the Cadet Dredd story will be drawn by Neill Cameron. The name does not ring any bells not sure if he ever featured in the prog.

Oh happy day. Neill Cameron is amazing. Hope he's written it as well.

If anyone hasn't read his 'panel a day'graphic novel X365 I can't recommend it highly enougnh and shows how great he'd be on both Regened and the Prog.

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 07 June, 2023, 02:03:47 PM
Quote from: broodblik on 07 June, 2023, 01:45:36 PMFrom a preview the Cadet Dredd story will be drawn by Neill Cameron. The name does not ring any bells not sure if he ever featured in the prog.

Oh happy day. Neill Cameron is amazing. Hope he's written it as well.

If anyone hasn't read his 'panel a day'graphic novel X365 I can't recommend it highly enougnh and shows how great he'd be on both Regened and the Prog.

Written by Liam Johnson