Main Menu

Prog 2157 - Red Army!

Started by Colin YNWA, 09 November, 2019, 08:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 13 November, 2019, 10:00:14 PM
So... was the thing that Hershey gave Dredd just information about where to find [spoiler]her granddaughter[/spoiler]?
It was a request rather than a thing, wasn't it?

As for the Prog, Dredd ended well, although could easily have gone on at least another four episodes. Brink remains one of the best things 2000 AD has done in the past decade. Defoe has lost me, and so will need a re-read during that magical time when I get a clone and have the time. Hope has grabbed me more than the previous run, which I now kind of wish I'd grabbed in the Hallowe'en sale. Deadworld... has kinda lost me too. I loved the set-up and initial run to this one, but I found it more intriguing as a messed up plague strip than what's become an oddball elseworlds Dredd. Oh well. It's still good, mind.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Richard on 09 November, 2019, 11:26:44 PM
I loved Dredd. I feel sorry for my favourite chapter though -- [spoiler]the little note-taking robot. He deserved his own 50-episode series.[/spoiler]

...50 episode series...
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Why is it that I can suspend belief about zombies in the 1600's but just can do the same for gunpowder propeller space ships? Not to mention sneaking a horde of Zombies aboard it.

Sorry to see this Dredd end, I hope that the BiG W expands on some of the loose ends left dangling.

Brink felt like one of those episodes of TWD that while it doesn't move the plot line any further forward, it does give a bit if insight into characters actions and motivation.
DDT did a job on me

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Proudhuff on 14 November, 2019, 04:40:56 PM
Why is it that I can suspend belief about zombies in the 1600's but just can do the same for gunpowder propeller space ships? Not to mention sneaking a horde of Zombies aboard it.

This is Pat we're talking about -  he has many faults, but his research is never one of them. While the zombies never existed, the rocket may have got as far as a working prototype: https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2018/02/06/englands-17th-century-attempt-to-reach-the-moon/
@jamesfeistdraws

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 November, 2019, 11:14:19 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 13 November, 2019, 10:00:14 PM
So... was the thing that Hershey gave Dredd just information about where to find [spoiler]her granddaughter[/spoiler]?
It was a request rather than a thing, wasn't it?

So is the mystery solved? Was it simply a request to find her [spoiler]granddaughter[/spoiler]?

I loved this story, and was sad to see [spoiler]the end of El Presidente.  He's a classic Wagner villain - terrifyingly nasty but somewhat ridiculous.  A caricature of a Latin American dictator taking himself very seriously indeed.  He looks great too.  Then again, we don't actually see him die, so who knows. [/spoiler]
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Frank

Proudhuff

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 14 November, 2019, 07:58:49 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 14 November, 2019, 04:40:56 PM

This is Pat we're talking about -  he has many faults, but his research is never one of them. While the zombies never existed, the rocket may have got as far as a working prototype: https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2018/02/06/englands-17th-century-attempt-to-reach-the-moon/

I think its all the accrued pedantic science in my head that stops that for bursting thro the 'I want to believe' sphere.
DDT did a job on me

norton canes

Belated opinion on this week's prog since I left it at work and only just got a chance to read it...

Going with the consensus on Guatemala that although it's as fine a piece of comics writing as you'll see anywhere, the conclusion did seem a little rushed. Also it was a shame that having been portrayed as a coldly calculating mastermind, the Presidente ignored every piece of information from his aides and ended up giving the "No, no... it cannot be!" kind of shtick usually delivered by B-move villains.

Elsewhere Hope and Defoe are really in their stride, Brink takes time out for a poignant interlude and Kek-W drops (literally) a bizarre blast from the past into Deadworld. 9/10's all around and once again glad that 2000 AD is still here with its weekly potpourri of thrills.

Tiplodocus

Enjoyed what I read a great deal. The action in Guatemala being particularly lovely. DEFOE awaits a big read in one session as it requires a lot of attention I think.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mikey

Due to ongoing late prog arrivals, I just read this last night.

The main thing I want to say is that Brink continues to be my favourite thrill for some time. It's not often I'm moved to manly tears, but there may have been one shed for Bridge. A wonderful character moment.

Elsewhere, Dredd was awesome and I'm still loving Deadworld and its vividly gruesome art, plus Hope keeps giving it gritty.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

73north

Dreadful week with my home life  - and for added hassle my copy never did turn up - phone Subscriptions
and replacement was mailed to me early this week - and that has not turned up

really kicking myself  for not buying the Prog at local WH Smith - and now that's gone from shelves

received latest issue ( 2158 ) but not read it for obvious reasons
all - really frustrating