Main Menu

Prog 2222 - Reach For The S.T.A.R.S!

Started by Goosegash, 08 March, 2021, 01:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goosegash

Only skimmed through this so far but one thrill is noticeably absent - the conclusion of Slaine has been pushed back due to art issues, instead we have the start of a new Thr3ller, Nakka Of The S.T.A.R.S by Langridge & McCarthy.

I'm not complaining or anything, great to have Langridge back again even if it's only in a writing capacity, but wasn't Dragontamer already delayed by months to give Manco more time to prepare?

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Quote from: Goosegash on 08 March, 2021, 01:51:09 PM
....but wasn't Dragontamer already delayed by months to give Manco more time to prepare?

Yes, was delayed multiple times. The story would have been published in 2019 then again for prog 2184

Tjm86

I don't know what to say.  I didn't even register the absence of Slaine.  Good thing?  Bad thing?  Dunno ...

What I do know is that Dredd plays a blinder in Chimpsky again.  Get's a bit political with shades of County Lines but Niemand and Holden serve up another cracking episode.  Granted this is shifting more towards "Tales of MC1 guest starring Judge Dredd ..." but still.  Little left to the imagination in terms of whodunnit.  Plenty in terms of how Chimpsky is going to square the circle of Vigilantism, protecting the innocent and making sure the guilty pay ...  Then again this is MC1 ...

Not sure what to make of Knackered of the Yard (sorry, Nakka of the STARS).  Plenty of mickey taking in terms of ye olde england stereotypes.  Milligan's artwork is up to its normal standards.  Personally I've never been completely sold on 3rillers.  Perhaps this one will surprise me.  Certainly not enough to sell me yet.  Still ... Milligan artwork ...

Lot's of talking heads in Thistlebone.  Feel like I've missed something in such an exposition heavy episode.  Quite likely needs a re-read to see.  To be sure though Davis is on form with his artwork.

Proteus Vex is a major change of pace then.  Where Thistlebone is all talk, Vex is all action.  It literally rockets along, dumping the major revelation at the last moment of the episode.

... as does Durham Red.  Bullets and bloodshed galore.  Hard to spot a character who doesn't take their lumps at some point  in the proceedings.  Surely building up to its final stages by now. 

Overall then a fair to middling prog.  Lots to commend it with perhaps a bit of a lull towards the middle.  Personally I'm not devastated by the absence of Slaine but then it's a strip I've never really got on with too well.  If anything I'd peg this as a strongly serviceable prog altogether.

Wilko10

Is it just me or does anyone else enjoy the commercial pages? I find them a great break from the stories, and surprisingly effective in making me buy more 2000AD. Anyway, to the Prog!

Dredd -- Like Tjm86, I agree there is little to decipher as the plot develops. I stand by Who Killed Captain Cookies' having Watchmen potential in its murder mystery, which it has lost a bit. But, I give Niemand credit for taking this story to unexpected places; Dredd interrogating Chimpsky was a highlight.

Nakka of the S.T.A.R.S -- Is there a better title out there? Criticisms aside, this was a delightful read. The story exists in a strange nebulous future where the old is mixed with the new, and the art is beautifully executed. It's a police procedural with a somewhat standard set-up, so I'm excited for future instalments.

Thistlebone -- Another slow and considerate entry that increases the atmosphere. Not much to say, other than some well-crafted dialogue sequences.

Proteus Vex -- I can't remember what happened, which, for me, is indicative of this entire story.

Durham Red -- Pure thrills! It's lean, mean storytelling with a strong protagonist. Red being as vulnerable as she is powerful is what sells this premise. Economical, memorable and effective.

JimmyNailz

A fairly enjoyable prog. Looking forward to some new thrills in a couple of weeks though. Really enjoyed Dredd again, everything else feels like it could've been wrapped up quicker (or maybe I'm just one of them Earthlets who impatiently wants shiney new things and wants them NOW!)

In regards to the letters page and the complaint about Tharg being "too political" min the "Journey of the Plague Years Damage Report". I hadn't even noticed these notes in amongst small print of the Nerve Centre until Earthlet Wilks. Now I'm going to have to go back through a years worth of progs to catch up on what I missed.  Though can I here and now voice my displeasure at Tharg's mocking of 'Police Academy 4' which I consider the series at its absolute best. I read 2000AD to get away from real-world film critiques I don't agree with - its the last thing I want as a reader!

JimmyNailz

...in making my previous glib attempts at humour, I forgot to mention I enjoyed part 1 of Thargs 3hriller.  Felt Bix Barton-esque and I do enjoy the occasional silly series of that ilk (or Zilk?)

Thistlebone requires me to have a reread of how the last series ended, as I can't remember what's what. Lovely art though.

Wilko10

Quote from: JimmyNailz on 08 March, 2021, 05:34:21 PM
A fairly enjoyable prog. Looking forward to some new thrills in a couple of weeks though. Really enjoyed Dredd again, everything else feels like it could've been wrapped up quicker (or maybe I'm just one of them Earthlets who impatiently wants shiney new things and wants them NOW!)

In regards to the letters page and the complaint about Tharg being "too political" min the "Journey of the Plague Years Damage Report". I hadn't even noticed these notes in amongst small print of the Nerve Centre until Earthlet Wilks. Now I'm going to have to go back through a years worth of progs to catch up on what I missed.  Though can I here and now voice my displeasure at Tharg's mocking of 'Police Academy 4' which I consider the series at its absolute best. I read 2000AD to get away from real-world film critiques I don't agree with - its the last thing I want as a reader!

I'm Earthlet Wilks! I must tip my hat to Tharg for publishing my mail. It was a lovely gesture, irrespective of whether it's a notion he agreed or disagreed with. Part of what makes 2000AD so special for me is the clear willingness of Tharg and his Droids to embrace feedback. It means a lot as a fan.

PS: I've only seen the first two Police Acamedy movies. "I hate to break it to you, sir, but I'm straight!"

broodblik

Colin YNWA

What a fantastic Prog. Its a shame for those enjoying that there's a delay in the ending of Slaine, real kicker - I thought that art was in, but clearly not and must be frustrating - been a while since we've had something like that.

Still excellent Prog.

Dredd - is this the Chimpsky story that was going to be his own strip I wonder - I can't remember if we are getting this and then a solo story? Or did I dream ther solo story? Either way this is fantastic stuff. Absolutely fantastic, charming, funny with a delicious edge.

3riller - Nakka of the S.T.A.R.S. is a wonderful curiousity. Midsomer Murders with a futuristic edge and menacing robots and innocent clones. Bubbling up nicely and with a very different favour which feels invigouring rather than out of place.

Thistlebone is a quiet and steady episode, this one is slow burn as expected, but intriguing.

Proteus Vex does bombastic action and then explaination as truths are thrilling revealed.

Durham Red throttles towards it conclusion. You know if I was in a 2000ad strip I'd not where a helmet, or a box, knee or elbow pads. If you appear in a 2000ad strip for christ sake wear bloody good shoulder armour. All the shoulder armour you can get. Oh and this is brilliant as ever by the way.

I appreciate that some will miss Slaine but me - well this is a spot on Prog I have to say.

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 08 March, 2021, 06:40:28 PM
I appreciate that some will miss Slaine but me - well this is a spot on Prog I have to say.

In my previous life I am sure that I would have arrived with pitchforks and burning torches at the house of Tharg but now I do not even mind that this prog will be without Slaine. Glad to see that McCarthy is back in the prog tough.

McNulty

[spoiler]Tharg's 3rillers: I'm going out on a limb here but I suspect Father Chippin to be the murderer. He had opportunity to commit the crime at the tea shoppe. As a robot, he would not leave any forensic evidence to be found.
"But McNulty, you charismatic but incredulous Scotsman," I hear you cry, "It COULDN'T be the good Father. Don't you see? He is a robot and as such is compelled by the 3 laws of robotics to not harm or by inaction harm a human. And as a clincher, the new by spunky assistant already linked with him electronically to confirm no wrongdoing! Your theory doesn't hold water."
Ah, but I say unto you that this is all smoke and mirrors on the part of the writer. It is entirely possible we are dealing with a robot that DOES have the capacity for murder! This robot is a PROTOTYPE programmed to minister to whichever denomination he is tuned to. The mere FACT that his information was given in such an off-hand way by the inspector is the writer's way in giving us a clue without bringing too much attention to it.  I suspect that the Father has developed a fault in its programming that has led it to believe that killing humans is a humane thing to do. Remember that this an ALTERNATIVE Earth, where a disease has ravaged the world's human population. It is not inconceivable to deduce that perhaps some of the surviving humans founded a death cult that espoused the belief that the disease was a holy judgement and the remaining humans should all die. What would happen if a robot programmed to minister to humans religious beliefs came into contact with one of these death cultists? Either by design or by accident, the robot has become murderous and even worse, this computer virus is TRANSMITTABLE to other robots. Is it a coincidence that the Inspector was attacked in the back of the church by a robot? The Father could have had ample opportunity to infect the gardener robot, and alas, I suspect that the Inspector's assistant has similarly become compromised!
"But McNulty, you meandering but compelling sleuth" I hear you persist, "if Penny-Z8e/4.81 has indeed been compromised, why has she not attacked the Inspector since she interfaced with Father Chippin?"
Oh ye of little faith! I reply. The assistant might be infected with the murder virus and merely biding her time for when they are both alone or it could be that as a sophisticated complex robot capable of multiple police functions and the ability to make outstanding sandwiches, she perhaps might take a while to fully succumb to the new programming.
So Father Chippin, J'accusse! You are one robot who definitely DIDN'T get the memo![/spoiler]

broodblik

A good prog yet again.

Dredd – Niemand and PJ continues to wow us with another classic Dredd tale in the making. Dredd however is more a supporting cast-member in his own show. That is maybe why Colin mentioned it that Chimpsky was due his own strip but it all could be down to scheduling challenges.

Nakka – An interesting new take on a police procedural. Good to see McCarthy doing is wacky psychedelic artwork. 

Thistlebone – This is a slow burner basically each episode adding a new layer of intrigue to the story. Great stuff all around.

Vex – Top thrill again as the action steadily being replaced by revelation of truth. Brilliant story and already waiting for the third series to commence.

Red – An action-packed episode heading to its conclusion. Worley and Willsher has certainly entertain us the last few week. Hopefully the creative team can give us more in the future.

Slaine – We can still here in the background how Slaine is slaying hordes upon hordes, thousands upon thousands of dragons and trojans. Body-parts, gore beheadings and just your normal ruffian stuff everywhere. Script has not moved an inch forward but who cares violence is the script.

broodblik

Jim this one is for you on your work  on Durham Red (read it in a review for the prog):

Pause for a moment and appreciate the lettering of Jim Campbell (who now letters approximately 83% of all British comics), and the way a gunshot "Blam" can be reused, but a "Slatccch" and a "Splatcchh" require slightly different shape and shading. Masterful.