Main Menu

Toxic

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 09 January, 2019, 10:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

"kingdom of the blind" came out in 1990 through Apocalypse Comics, then they started "The Hateful Dead" in toxic! issues 1-8 in 1991 with the collected edition coming out shortly afterwards. Also toxic! issues 14-15 reprinted the prologue from Fear and Loathing with new framing sequences

JayzusB.Christ

Cheers.  I notice with Toxic too the kind of schizophrenic editorial attitude towards adult content that Tharg had for a long time  with no shortage of blood, sex, nudity and swearing (just one f- bomb ever, though, just like the prog), and yet a sort of pretence in the editorial pages that it wasn't really happening (including a section for 'signature of parent or guardian' on the reservation coupon).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JOE SOAP

Like Kingdom of the Blind, the Marvel piss-take was also a one-shot.

Hawkmumbler

Kingdom of the Blind is Mills and O'Neil at their most biting and sadistic and I love every panel of it.

rogue69

someone made a video out of the story The Driver back in 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-PjNLRUdw8

tonyf33

Read the Toxic story in ComicScene - part one here https://issuu.com/comicsflix/docs/comic-scene-issue-0/40
and part two here https://issuu.com/comicsflix/docs/comic_scene_with_slaine_pull_out_is
In Issue 1 you can also read a chapter from Pat Mills book on Slaine.
In Volume 2 Issue 1 of ComicScene, on sale 21st Feb, you can read about Marshal Law and Pat Mills goes into more depth on the character.  You can pre order or subscribe to the magazine at www.comicscene.tictail.com

Blue Cactus

I was ten or eleven when that Toxic: Kingdom of the Blind comic came out. I was off school ill for a couple of days, and my dad very kindly stopped off on his way home from work to buy me a comic as a wee treat.

Well. That was an eye-opener for ten-year old me.

'Rubber Johnny'... Suicida attacking people with a giant spiked dildo thing... Even just the dude being stabbed to death by scalpels attached to the underside of Private Eye's car... The final battle in the boiling pit... 'HAPPY ANNIVERSARY SHITHEAD!!!' [spoiler]The death of Kilotin[/spoiler]... So many images and bits of dialogue ingrained onto my prepubescent brain.

I was mildly unsettled, but I bloody loved it! Thanks Dad/Pat/Kevin!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 15 January, 2019, 09:29:01 PM
I was ten or eleven when that Toxic: Kingdom of the Blind comic came out. I was off school ill for a couple of days, and my dad very kindly stopped off on his way home from work to buy me a comic as a wee treat.

'Rubber Johnny'... Suicida attacking people with a giant spiked dildo thing... Even just the dude being stabbed to death by scalpels attached to the underside of Private Eye's car... The final battle in the boiling pit... 'HAPPY ANNIVERSARY SHITHEAD!!!' [spoiler]The death of Kilotin[/spoiler]... So many images and bits of dialogue ingrained onto my prepubescent brain.

I'm guessing your old man hadn't  flicked through the contents first.  (Think I was about twelve before I realised that a rubber Johnny wasn't just another word for a willy,  and about 14 when I discovered that dildo didn't mean something like dumbo.)

Think I may have been 15 or 16 when I read it,  and I was somewhat windblown too.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Blue Cactus

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 15 January, 2019, 11:17:11 PM
Quote from: Blue Cactus on 15 January, 2019, 09:29:01 PM

I'm guessing your old man hadn't  flicked through the contents first.  (Think I was about twelve before I realised that a rubber Johnny wasn't just another word for a willy,  and about 14 when I discovered that dildo didn't mean something like dumbo.)

Think I may have been 15 or 16 when I read it,  and I was somewhat windblown too.

Not to derail the thread, but I thought a rubber johnny was a condom, not a willy???

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 16 January, 2019, 09:22:31 PM

Not to derail the thread, but I thought a rubber johnny was a condom, not a willy???

I mean I shouldn't continue such things but yeah defo.

JayzusB.Christ

If you'll read my post again, you'll note that I said that I realised a rubber johnny WASN'T a willy when I was about 12.

Blue Cactus

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 17 January, 2019, 07:16:01 AM
If you'll read my post again, you'll note that I said that I realised a rubber johnny WASN'T a willy when I was about 12.

So you did, my apologies!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 16 January, 2019, 09:24:12 PM
Quote from: Blue Cactus on 16 January, 2019, 09:22:31 PM

I mean I shouldn't continue such things but yeah defo.

I however refuse to change my mind whatever new information I'm supplied with. I said 2 years ago a few days ago that a rubber johnny is a condom and I don't care if I was mislead and didn't bother to check my fact I stand firm even as the clear evidence of economic ruin and chaos build around me of my mistake gather. I'll just find another (ill informed and probably dishonest) reason to restate in the ignorant pap I've stated already FOR I'M A PATRIOT and anything else is a betrayal of...

... or to put it another ways...

...whoops sorry - can I vote post again now I understand.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 19 January, 2019, 12:59:39 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 17 January, 2019, 07:16:01 AM

So you did, my apologies!

Way too late for that, bub  ;)

JayzusB.Christ

PS I know what you're up to, young Mr YNWA...