Main Menu

ABC Warriors Time line

Started by james newell, 18 March, 2016, 01:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

I wouldn't skip the ABC Warriors in Nemesis stories, because they are great. Indeed I would put Nemesis above ABC Warriors in the pecking order.

A Judge also appears in Nemesis and like the Hammerstein - Dredd tie up, I think it is best to ignore it. Anything else leads to too much complication.

Steve Green

TordelBack

Quote from: Magnetica on 04 April, 2017, 11:39:03 AM
I wouldn't skip the ABC Warriors in Nemesis stories, because they are great. Indeed I would put Nemesis above ABC Warriors in the pecking order.

A Judge also appears in Nemesis and like the Hammerstein - Dredd tie up, I think it is best to ignore it. Anything else leads to too much complication.

'Yes' definitely to reading the Warriors stories in Nemesis (one of the best (of many) 'getting the band back together' sequences Mills has done), but an equally forceful 'no' to ignoring the Judge in Satanus' mouth, if for no other reason than Satanus' original and subsequent appearances in the Dredd strip!

If you feel a continuity headache coming on when trying to square Nemesis, the Volgans, the Warriors, Mars and Ro-Busters with the history of Dredd's world, remember that as frequently seen in the Dredd strip 'our' MC-1 is just one of many in alternate dimensions and timelines.  Add in Thoth's depredations of the time stream, time leakage in the Black Hole bypass time-wastes, Anthropogenic Time Change in recent Flesh books, and, if you're feeling frisky, Max Bubba's impact on the post-9th C world and Myrddin and the Guledig's manipulations of the past of the Land of the Young, you have a swiss cheese of a time-space continuum with holes large enough to rampage a tyrannosaur through, and with plenty of room for Termight, Biol and Volgograd.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: positronic on 04 April, 2017, 12:41:10 AM
There's a whole arc in The Mek-nificent Seven featuring Golgotha, who's repeatedly referenced as the son of Satanus and grandson of Old One-Eye, that's harder to explain away.

Why would you want to 'explain that away?' Satanus himself is pretty integral to the mid-period Nemesis stories, so there's little sense in trying to explain away his son's earlier apperance...!
@jamesfeistdraws

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: positronic on 04 April, 2017, 12:41:10 AM
There's a whole arc in The Mek-nificent Seven featuring Golgotha, who's repeatedly referenced as the son of Satanus and grandson of Old One-Eye, that's harder to explain away.

It's not something that needs explaining away. Occasional name-checks and the odd cameo are what pass for a shared universe in 2000 AD and can be easily ignored (mostly) for those so choosing to. Though I've warmed somewhat to the notion of STRONTIUM DOG being shoehorned into DREDD I can't say the same for ROGUE TROOPER. Nor do I care for war droids in SAVAGE, which seems obtrusive both in tone and setting.

Also, had Pat set ABC WARRIORS: THE VOLGAN WAR at some point between 2050* and 2070**, perhaps even stating it was a second Volgan War, there wouldn't be a problem. While I don't expect Pat to reference other people's work, all four volumes (as far as I can tell) could still have been told without contradicting his own continuity.

* Pat himself was the one who alluded to HARLEM HEROES in 'Hammer-Stein's War Memoirs'.

** The Atomic Wars (2070) and the Battle of Armageddon (2071) were established by Pat in 'The Cursed Earth'.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Magnetica

Fair point Tordels. And indeed I had overlooked the whole Golgotha thing - that firmly links ABC Warriors to Dredd and hence to Nemesis.

But I must have missed the links between Slaine and Nemesis other than they are both written by Pat.

(And while I'm here, Harlem Heroes was stated to be in Mega City One very early on....only it never, ever looked like the one Dredd was going to be in).

Steve Green

A Ron Smith MC-1 doesn't look much like a Mick McMahon MC-1.

Besides you've got 50 years before it became the MC-1 of Prog 2 Dredd.

There's another connection in that one of the team in Inferno is an ex-judge, or justice judge at least.

Magnetica

Quote from: Steve Green on 04 April, 2017, 02:06:36 PM
A Ron Smith MC-1 doesn't look much like a Mick McMahon MC-1.

True but they both at least have blocks in them. To my eye there is literally nothing in the HH world that looks like it is going to become Dredd's MC-1, although I agree it has a few decades to get there.

I wonder - has it ever been stated when the first block was built?

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Magnetica on 04 April, 2017, 01:44:10 PM
(And while I'm here, Harlem Heroes was stated to be in Mega City One very early on....only it never, ever looked like the one Dredd was going to be in).

I suspect HARLEM HEROES being set in Mega-City One was simply a last-minute edit by Tharg thinking "Hey, why don't we . . ."

But for anyone who might need to explain it away, there's a twenty-one year difference (minimum!) between Artie Gruber discharging himself from a Mega-City Hospital and Judge Giant, Snr. graduating from the Academy of Law.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Steve Green

Depending on which timeline you want to believe, HH takes place in 2050, which makes Giant Senior's appearance in Dredd more believable than if you take Inferno being set in 2078.

Magnetica

Quote from: Steve Green on 04 April, 2017, 02:25:57 PM
Depending on which timeline you want to believe, HH takes place in 2050, which makes Giant Senior's appearance in Dredd more believable than if you take Inferno being set in 2078.

Ok fair enough on that picture - I can go with that.

2050 for HH is certainly the date I am working with. Don't recall Inferno being stated as being in 2078 and indeed that would make almost no sense both in terms of the time elapsed since HH and Origins.

TordelBack

Quote from: Magnetica on 04 April, 2017, 01:44:10 PM
But I must have missed the links between Slaine and Nemesis other than they are both written by Pat.

Only a matter of, erm, time.

Magnetica

I guess with Slaine it doesn't matter as his stories are set so far before that you can imagine it pre-dating anything.

Until he starts travelling in time (again) or gets reincarnated as a Cornish taxi driver in the 1990s. But that's not going to happen.

JayzusB.Christ

Now, me, I have no problem with Nemesis and Dredd sharing a universe - even Rogue is ok too, though I'm not quite sure when Rogue is set.

It's the Strontium Dog / Dredd thing that makes my brains flow out my earholes.  Essentially, the entire global Judge / Mega-city  system has to be wiped out and replaced by a world that has seemingly regressed to something much more like the one we know today - more greenery, loads more of our landmarks left intact; red postboxes and less craziness in general. 

Was there actually anything in Sláine that linked it to any other stories?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"