Main Menu

Dead Space 2

Started by Goaty, 05 May, 2010, 11:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikey

Yes!

I'll be trading in a bunch of games soon - going to pick this up and Mass Effect2 I think.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Keef Monkey

It arrive :) Got a couple of hours in this afternoon and it is G O O D.

Pete Wells

Cool! Cheers Keef, I shall buy it tomorrow!

Dan

Where'd you order it from? Mine's winging it's way from Amazon and was only dispatched today, should turn up tomorrow if I'm lucky

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Dan on 27 January, 2011, 04:30:23 PM
Where'd you order it from? Mine's winging it's way from Amazon and was only dispatched today, should turn up tomorrow if I'm lucky

Was Game I ordered from, they dispatched on Tuesday which was pretty sweet. In fact the other couple of times I ordered from them I got it day before release too so they seem to be a good mob to go for.

DrJomster

Dead Space 1 seems to have just come out on the iPhone. Almost all the reviews lurve it something chronic, so good news iphone owners if you have four quid spare!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Noisybast

See? Told you their online service was ok...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Satanist

I'm trying to be sensible as I have too many games left over from Christmas (including the massive Fallout 3) but you Bastards are making this tough.

And I've got vouchers for Game which I pass on the way home.

Enjoyed the first one and this is meant to be better.

Hrnnnngh!!! Must.stay.strong!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Noisybast

If you're going to use them, use them online, if you can. They'll go a lot further!
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Keef Monkey

It is brilliant, so far not as scary as the first but I think that's partly down to the fact I played DS1 in the middle of the night and even with the curtains drawn an afternoon session isn't quite the same! It is full of great set-pieces, looks astonishing and you can fly in zero G, which is sweeeet.

Also (and maybe this is just because I watched the anime just before playing it) the visuals have got a really nice anime-style gloss to them now, even some of the new suits are very Guyver-like.

Tried the MP for a couple of matches and it's really good but depends on who you're playing with. The human team's goals are objective based (activate these things then get this thing so you can escape in that thing) and you have to do it in a tight time limit while the Necromorph team try to overwhelm you. It's very Left 4 Dead and very cool and tense, but if the rest of your human team seem to think they're playing Call Of Duty and ignore the objectives to just get as many kills as possible it's frustrating. Has potential though if played with mates.

Dan

Also lovin' it!

The visuals are amazing, some of those zero-g sections are stunning [spoiler]especially the solar arrays space-walk part, that was so good.[/spoiler]

Yeah multiplayer is a lot of fun, put a few hours into that on sat night with a few beers and a buddy and had a good laugh with it. Can't help but laugh every time I manage a Pack execution though my fingers hurt eventually from mashing A all the time :)

Keef Monkey

Finished the SP last night, and to finish a game in 2 or 3 sessions is pretty quick even by my standards but I really couldn't put it down. It felt much shorter than the first game but looking at my playtime it was just over 8 hours which is about the same. Think it just seems brief because it rattles along at such a great pace, there's always an amazing set piece just around the corner and there really isn't a dull moment. Those 8 hours really flew by, and I'll definitely be replaying this on the tougher difficulties (the first game on Impossible was one of the most intense and satisfying things I've ever played). It's brilliant, and much, much better than the already brilliant first game. Hope it gets the sales it deserves this time, because with the wii spin-off and the anime and comics this has to be one of the best franchises out there.

Short version, I fooking love Dead Space.

Pete Wells

Bah, I'm really far through this (Chapter 10) but the difficulty level it's starting to frustrate me now! I'm a competent gamer but this is fucking rock hard in places. I completed the first game without many problems but this is really trying my patience.

Keef, what weapons did you tend to use? Mine are like peashooters despite being pretty maxed up. I'm using the blaster (full power and wearing the riot suit), the saw blades, the line gun and the plasma jobby (full power.)

Dan

imo it doesn't matter so much what weps you use. They're all pretty good except the saw thing, that seems cack to me. The trick seems to be to use and abuse stasis - get that maxed out and you can dismember at your leisure.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Pete Wells on 31 January, 2011, 10:31:23 PM
Bah, I'm really far through this (Chapter 10) but the difficulty level it's starting to frustrate me now! I'm a competent gamer but this is fucking rock hard in places. I completed the first game without many problems but this is really trying my patience.

Keef, what weapons did you tend to use? Mine are like peashooters despite being pretty maxed up. I'm using the blaster (full power and wearing the riot suit), the saw blades, the line gun and the plasma jobby (full power.)

I never really bothered upgrading my weapons to be honest, I put all my nodes into my rig which gives you more health which helps a bit. Other than that I use the pulse rifle as much as possible, it's a great multi-purpose weapon and got me through the hardest parts of the first game so I stuck to it here! As long as you've got stasis to freeze 'em before dismembering it works a treat (and has the advantage of holding them off as long as they're taking fire). Mine launcher is must for some parts too (those things that hide and dart out are a nightmare).

I struggled with a couple of sections, it's definitely a tougher game than 1 and no mistake! I actually thought it was too easy for the first few hours but then things went a bit kerazee. I'm a bit put off by the hardcore achievement, finishing on the hardest mode is one thing, but doing it with no checkpoints and only 3 saves allowed is madness.