Main Menu

L.A. Noire

Started by radiator, 18 May, 2011, 02:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

So, anyone getting this on Friday?

I'm sorely tempted, especially as I have the flat to myself next weekend and could have a proper all-night gaming binge. But on the other hand it looks like a massive time-sink, and I've got shit to do, most importantly several personal work projects that I've already put off for too long...

Charlie Brooker has an advance copy and has been tweeting about it - I must admit I'm intrigued...

Richmond Clements

I'd love it, but there's no way I'm getting it at the minute.
I have masses of writing to do over the next couple of months and don't need any further distractions thank you very much.

It does look glorious though...

Greg M.

Yeah, my copy should be turning up in the mail on Friday. Having played Fallout: New Vegas to death by now, I guess I've been looking for something new to sink my teeth into in the video game world. Looks very L.A. Confidential, seems to be getting rave reviews everywhere.

mogzilla

will be doing when the xbox is mended working etc have had my points on my reward card saved for aeons! if its half as good as red dead redemption i'll be a happy bunny.

Proudhuff

not been gaming for ages, but this if anything will tempt me back, possibly post payday, oh and moving house too
DDT did a job on me

radiator

Brooker mentioned that it's very reminiscent of the old point and click adventure games, which sounds interesting...

Banners

Only just realised this isn't coming out on PC. Bah!

bluemeanie

SLight thread hijack (sorry) but really hoping the release of this prompts that "Oh, and we're gonna bring out Red Dead for the pc" announcement I've been waiting on.
Fingers crossed.

This does sound awesome though. Im a big fan of the IGN Gamescoop podcast and they've been talking about this quite a bit.

Hoagy

Oh, I've been watching this from the corner of my eye and calculating whether its worth for the first time in a long time buying on release, as I've still got Assassins Brotherhood to do and Undead Nightmare.

But did someone say reminiscent of point and click?? On top of being an 18 by a reputable gamers firm? Very, very tempting.

Ah but practicality abounds and alas, I'll be umming and arring for a while yet. 
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

mogzilla

i think the point and click elements relate to the crime scenes as you can miss clues which could have an effect...

Keef Monkey

Interestingly, Mark Kermode is reviewing this on The Culture Show tomorrow night (Thursday). I say interesting, because the last time he reviewed a game it was some wii shovelware and he said it was the first time he'd ever played a game and that he hoped it would be the last, and then tore into it as an entertainment medium. I always thought that was a bit like sitting down to watch Meet The Spartans and basing your whole opinion on film as a medium on that one experience.

His opinion doesn't particularly matter to me, it'll just be interesting to find out if LA Noire can sway him a bit.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

bluemeanie

Mark Kermode is a smug c*nt and should be killed while people who actually create stuff stand around and complain his suffering "feels turgid"

radiator

zombemybabynow

yup - getting it for the xbox tomorrow.

game spot gave it a 9.0 http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/adventure/lanoire/review.html?tag=summary%3Bread-review
gs reviews are pretty good showing the initial good and bad points, (as you'll see.

and heard a lady game reviewer on bbc radio 4 last night saying it was pretty good and a fair attempt at making a game feel like a movie too

BUT LETS ALL REMEMBER: THIS IS ONLY PRODUCED BY ROCKSTAR - IT@S NOT GOING TO BE AS GOOD AS GTA OR RDR AND IT@S NOT FREE ROAM
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere