Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: sauchie on 09 March, 2013, 05:24:46 PM
Referencing Liberace and Diana Ross in consecutive posts ... if I wasn't so certain of your rampant heterosexuality I'd think you were trying to tell us something, Estragon.

Exquisitely Rampant and nowhere to put it, Vlad.

Charlie boy

Lemmy: The Movie. Documentary on the bass-monster, storyteller and all-round nice guy. Has put me in the mood to watch Anvil, which I'll do a little later tonight if I don't find myself getting distracted.

Richmond Clements

Just back from watching An American Werewolf in London on the big screen. It was a gorgeous pristine print of it (possibly a new one?). Awesome stuff, but you already knew that.

Mabs

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 10 March, 2013, 12:08:04 AM
Just back from watching An American Werewolf in London on the big screen. It was a gorgeous pristine print of it (possibly a new one?). Awesome stuff, but you already knew that.

Yes we did, but that film deserves all the praise. One of my favourite horror/ comedy films. Which reminds me, whatever happened to John Landis? He was one of the most exciting directors around that time, but he seems to have fallen off the radar of late?  :(
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

JOE SOAP

Spikes

Quote from: Mabs on 10 March, 2013, 12:18:06 AM
Which reminds me, whatever happened to John Landis?

Always thought the controversy surrounding the Twilight Zone: The Movie had seemed to have derailed his career, but that imdb list is pretty full - though a good bit of it is pretty forgettable stuff.

(But you must have the best cinema in the world, Rich. An American Werewolf is a cast iron fave, and would be a treat to see up on the big screen.)

JOE SOAP

He had a pretty solid career after the Twilight Zone even though he probably should've been in the stripey hole.

Charlie boy

They showed An American Werewolf at my local cinema a couple of years back and I never got to see it which I'm still a little disappointed about because I didn't just want to see it on the big screen, I really wanted to hear it the way it was intended to sound. Landis has put some of its success down to how the characters are actually likeable, which is pretty rare in the horror genre when you look at a lot of the stuff that's released.
But anyway, I watched Blue Valentine earlier. Starring Ryan Gosling, I'll admit the scene where he takes to playing the ukelele whilst singing had me think "Damn you, Gosling- is there anything you can't do?" Like a lot of his smaller films, he gives a great performance and it has a great soundtrack, this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8rumyup0Os being one that was immediately stuck in my head.

Mabs

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 March, 2013, 12:22:21 AM
Quote from: Mabs on 10 March, 2013, 12:18:06 AM
whatever happened to John Landis?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1320239/

Wow. I've forgotten about this film, not to mention the fact its by Landis! Cheers Joe, i shall definitely have to track this one down.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

IAMTHESYSTEM

SKYLINE

Those pesky Aliens are invading the City of LA and the young and the middle aged hide out in a Building surrounded by human nomming horrors. The Air force and Army turn up a blastin' the Xenos Space Marine style but the malignant horrors can regenerate! Er, this didn't stop the Lead beating one to death with his fists but he is able to resist the Aliens mind control influence [spoiler]due to [ and I'm not making this up] a hairy chest.[/spoiler] Think what Tom Selleck could have achieved against the bastards though the furry daiaphram was alien spores or some such contagion. 

Didn't see it from the beginning but it all got exciting when, transported onto the Alien Mother Ship the Lead Actor [spoiler]literately lost his head and brain, sucked up by a shit coloured monstrosity! But his hybrid/Alien Brain transformed the Alien Monster into his Avatar-it looks Alien but is really him in order to save his pregnant girlfriend and unborn baby from becoming a drive through snack.[/spoiler]  Dread to see what they'll put on the Birth Certificate.

That's where the first exciting episode stopped folks.  I understand this is the first in a series of Films which although bonkers is rather fun in places. Excellent effects and the Monsters were hideously Cthulian in style.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Daveycandlish

Just settling down to watch Hammer's The Mummy's Shroud.
How can you go wrong with a film starring Andre Morrell, Michael Ripper and Roger Delgado?  :)

And the poster tagline was great too;
Beware the beat of cloth wrapped feet!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 10 March, 2013, 12:50:59 PM
Just settling down to watch Hammer's The Mummy's Shroud.
How can you go wrong with a film starring Andre Morrell, Michael Ripper and Roger Delgado?  :)

And the poster tagline was great too;
Beware the beat of cloth wrapped feet!
Good call, one of Hammers best.

Richmond Clements

Quote(But you must have the best cinema in the world, Rich. An American Werewolf is a cast iron fave, and would be a treat to see up on the big screen.)

Yup, we had Gremlins on over Christmas too. And I missed The Wrath of Khan a few weeks ago...

willthemightyW

Two Coen Brothers films, Barton Fink last night and True Grit this morning, loved them both. True Grit I saw in the cinema about three times, and have watched it many times since on blur-ray (it really is brilliant to look at), but Barton Fink, for the longest time I'd only seen bits of. Then about a month ago, I saw it almost up to the end, so I watched the whole way through last night. Having seen most of it I assumed I had an idea what I was in for but... well. Very strange (as one can expect from a film by the Coens), but really fun, twisted and enjoyable!
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Tiplodocus

"How does Lipnick's ass smell this morning?"
Be excellent to each other. And party on!