Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Saw Mad Max: Fury Road at IMAX 3D last night and was completely blown away. I want to watch it a few dozen more times, there's so much to take in on one viewing, but there were a few times when I was just flattened by the scale of the carnage unfolding. It's properly mental. The highest hopes I had were that it would come close to Mad Max 2, and while it'll take a few more watches to be sure, right now I'm thinking it might be better.

That's the real surprise I guess, that just getting a new Mad Max film is exciting and cool in itself, but the fact that it's quite probably the best Mad Max film was not something I expected going in.

Apestrife

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 May, 2015, 12:14:03 PM

The Extended Two Towers is remarkable, in as much as at feels like a shorter film than the theatrical version, despite being 45 minutes longer, because the pacing is so much better in the longer cut.

I didn't feel the extended additions to RotK really added much, TBH.

Cheers

Jim

Long time since I'v seen any of them, but I definitely felt 2 towers benefited the most by the added stuff. While not Empire Strikes back, it tied p.1 and p.3 together real well.

Seen the extended Hobbits? Any better than the theatre vers.? Thought them where too video gamey and reliant on CGI.

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 15 May, 2015, 12:27:38 PM
Saw Mad Max: Fury Road at IMAX 3D last night and was completely blown away. I want to watch it a few dozen more times, there's so much to take in on one viewing, but there were a few times when I was just flattened by the scale of the carnage unfolding. It's properly mental. The highest hopes I had were that it would come close to Mad Max 2, and while it'll take a few more watches to be sure, right now I'm thinking it might be better.

That's the real surprise I guess, that just getting a new Mad Max film is exciting and cool in itself, but the fact that it's quite probably the best Mad Max film was not something I expected going in.

I can relate. Haven't been this surprised/pleased with an action movie since Dredd. Both movies having trailers that made them look a bit "okay-ish" at best.

Sure want to see it again soon, but I'll try to wait till it's released on blu ray. Longing a bit for it will only make the next viewing sweeter :)

Buttonman

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie - watched this as 'John Cassavetes is Dead' cropped up on Facebook. Very poor! Really self indulgent with lazy editing and pointless scenes of a nightclub compère droning on for ages. Cinema verite? Cinema shite more like.

Cowboys and Aliens - A lot better than I was led to believe - in fact I really enjoyed it!

Ghastly McNasty

Yeah, I heard Cowboys and Aliens was a turd. Will give it a go if it's recommended  :)

Another film with bad rep (watched last night) is Chappie. Apart from Jackman's awful attempt at a South African accent, plus the totally rubbish ED-209 wannabee, I loved it. Chappie is the No 1 Gangsta.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Ghastly McNasty on 21 May, 2015, 12:32:23 PM
Yeah, I heard Cowboys and Aliens was a turd. Will give it a go if it's recommended  :)

I didn't hate it. Did exactly what it said on the tin. Could have been a lot better, a lot more fun, but it's not a stinker. Also: Olivia Wild in a wet dress.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 May, 2015, 12:41:28 PM
Quote from: Ghastly McNasty on 21 May, 2015, 12:32:23 PM

I didn't hate it. Did exactly what it said on the tin. Could have been a lot better, a lot more fun, but it's not a stinker. Also: Olivia Wild in a wet dress.

Cheers

Jim

This review is entirely accurate.

Dandontdare

Robot and Frank on the telly last night  - I wouldn't say it's a deep or insightful examination of human interaction with artificial intelligences. but it was sweet and fun.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Dandontdare on 21 May, 2015, 01:51:19 PM
Robot and Frank on the telly last night  - I wouldn't say it's a deep or insightful examination of human interaction with artificial intelligences. but it was sweet and fun.

The twist completely caught me out.  It was very bittersweet.  Good film - recommended.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

Mad Max Fury Road - more like Mad Shite Fury Road, oh no wait I really enjoyed it.  Apart from that bit where they stop in the blue desert for like a half hour and just drone on and on holding up the next car chase.
Appetite for CARnage DO  YOU SEE whetted, I took a chance on the low-budget Dukes of Hazard The Beginning, which made me want to reach through the screen and throttle the people who made it.  It was not very good.
Extinction - same old same old found footage poo with the exact same plot and structure of every other found footage film ever.  The monster reveal is a dinosaur instead of a sasquatch, a witch, or moon crabs (should you be wondering), but I gave up when I realised it also had the exact same prick characters of all the other found footage films ever, which was about twenty minutes in.  It was probably the best thing ever after that, though, and I probably quit too early and didn't see what a unique and precious snowflake it really was just because the first twenty minutes were dogshit, but I have no regrets. 

Buttonman

Gomorrah - Italian gangsters not being nice to each other. Grubby but captivating violence and double dealing.

Paris, Texas - Dull as fook Wim Wenders film sees Harry Dean Stanton not say much and then track down his wayward wife. Only watched as it made it to #249 on the top 250 list on IMDb.

Only God Forgives - I liked this violent and stylised revenge flick. Good to see Kristin Scott Thomas channel Ben Kingsley from Sexy Beast.

Keef Monkey

Rewatched Wyrmwood for the first time since the cinema and really enjoyed it again. The grim stuff is grim, the action is actiony and the humor still lands great for the most part. Plus, Bianca Bradey makes a fantastic horror movie heroine, kicks a great deal of ass and manages to look quite staggeringly gorgeous while doing it. 

ThryllSeekyr

I watched the Knights of Bad-Ass-Dom yesterday afternoon, and thought it was some light spoofy piece about role-playing-gamers-who-also-LARP. It starts out being predictably bad, but in a good way taking talent from  True Blood, Game of Thrones (If only Peter Tyrion Dinklage was allowed to use the same costumes, props and sets!) and Firefly,

It's got something to do with a book prop one of them Ebayed off of the internet and a real (Very Cheap looking!) demonic monster (Looking like one of Massimo's pictures of Balor himself!). Everything is really cheesy, along with fauxy old English used by these gamers when they Larp it up.

Without giving away much more of the plot. I will say there is hot looking female vampire that starts taking them out one by one to beef it up a bit.

It gets really embarrassingly tacky right at the climax and I remember Peter Ginklage looking like this in one part......

That reminds of Elfric Serpent-Eye from Massimo's Battle of Clontarf when he was wearing the chainmail hood. There was certain resemblance with his face as well.

This also gives me a little insight into Slaine about what if El's really another type of vampire and what is there was only one Formorian that Slaine had to deal with.

The film really shows how dumb this genre could be even suing the talent it had.

Avoid seeing this if your sober.

Buttonman

Dredd title double - Twilight's Last Gleaming - Over long Burt Lancaster film sees him take over a nuclear silo to right the wrongs of Vietnam. Too much hand wringing and no action.

Requiem for a Heavyweight - Good stuff as washed up boxer Anthony Quinn ponders career options.

I also saw 'The Book of Eli' - which was miles better than I has supposed. Washed out and gritty but some top knife work and a couple of decent twists.

Professor Bear

The Last Survivors - cheap as chips tale about a there's-no-water-left-pocalypse future where two kids live in the loft of their old house Anne Frank-style, avoiding wandering thieves and a murderous land baron.  I suspect it might be a cash-in on some arty film I saw a trailer for last year and whose name escapes me right now (Young Americans?), but it's pretty decent even if the final showdown with the baron reminds me of that time in high school when we had to read Z For Zachariah and got set an English assignment to rewrite the final chapter and everyone in the class had some variation of the main character having a crazy gunfight and turning into Mad Max.  The ending of Last Survivors feels a bit like if someone had taken a random pupil's chapter, then printed it in the same font and format as the book, then cut out the actual final chapter and replaced it with the fake one, then lost the book somewhere and a Hollywood producer found it and thought it would make a great movie.  I mean, plot-wise it's acceptable that someone might seek revenge for being wronged, it's just a bit odd to see a child turn into Samurai Rambo in the final reel.

Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead - whoever invented those locking mechanisms on dvd covers is a fucking cunt and has probably been responsible for more internet piracy than actual internet pirates, much like those FACT adverts you couldn't skip at the start of DVDs you had paid for, but which were not on the pirated copy of the film you could get from the web.  A locking mechanism that destroys the dvd cover - if not the disc - you've just paid for if you try to remove it - fucking genius.  I looked up on the web how to safely remove it and the first thing the article said was "take two heavy duty magnets" like what you have around any home, like.  And they wonder why people have so little sympathy for distributors.  Cunts.
The film was pretty good, though.