Main Menu

That chin...

Started by stimpy, 28 January, 2003, 06:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stimpy

Okay People,been getting a bit of flack over Dredds chin last week and thought i might state my case!
   In this pic he is sort of thrusting his face back while pushing his jaw forward to avoid the Alien(Dredd thinking 'Oh shit!') which if you do it in a mirror makes all kind of weird shapes to your face especially with a chin like his.Ive always enjoyed taking the mickey out of Dredd, hes so serious ,hes a soft target!

Greg

PS In my world Dredd thinks shaving is for girls!

Oddboy

Then why doesn't he have a big flowwy ZZTopesque beardy then?

Nice cover either way I reckon.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Trout

I quite liked it.

At least Dredd wasn't on the bog, in the bath or arresting Mr Spock or Chris Evans...

- Trout

Tex Hex

It was great. Chin shmin. It was bold and clear and everything that was ever good about Bolland. If it werent for that damned alien...

I also loved the art for Dead Reckoning, but Ive said enough about that already.

Proudhuff

Great cover, yeah a bit knobbly but hey, ITS A COMIC!
fabby Alien and it leap off the newsagents shelf,well laid out, good image,  unlike that latest Slaine one.

Humblehand McProudhuff
DDT did a job on me

Jared Katooie

I was more concerned with Dredds nose than his chin. It was a bloody brilliant cover and you should do more lineart I think.

The Strontium dog cover was excellent too. (but the Dredd one was better)

J Kat. (Greg taples fan)

Art

Greg Vs PVS. Who would win?

Jared Katooie

Greg Vs PVS. Who would win?

PVS would be pushed off a cliff by Dredd's gargantuan jutting chin. I drew a picture of his mammoth jaw actually...

Is there any I can get it off my computer and into a post?

J.

"My dog wee's on the street, he stops to do a poo, I'd like to do the same but they'd put me in a zoo...."

paulvonscott

Ah, the chin...

The best pisstakes of Dredd just play him dead straight, Cliff Robinsons' American beauty cover with the ugly still has me smiling.  One of the funniest Dredd's ever I think was bollands, he was so serious and stoic it was very comical.  if the chin is the funny bit, then it's just like saying 'hey that blokes got a big nose, hee hee'.

Dredd not maintainaing the standards and correct deportment of a judge?  Pah...  I say pah!

It was a nice pic though.

Hmmm, wonder if there could be some sort of chin restraining circuit fitted to droids that gives them a nasty shock every time they decide to mock his chin?

I am off to construct main wondrous devices of torture for those who do not follow the puritan chin by-laws.  Then it will be time for test subject S*ku to feel the cold embrace of the chin spikes...

Trout

Hey Paul, this'll wind you up.

Siku was selling painted art, framed, double-page spreads at Dreddcon.

For ?260 a go.

Bloody hell!

- Trout

Art

Blimey! Flint was doing art for ?20 a page!

paulvonscott

Of course, you need a double page to get that chin in!

"Oh my grudd, the aliens, they got Dredd!  Emergency chin graft!"

"Hmmm... all we have is this MUTIE chin..."

"My god, but it's huge, but where's the rest of him?"

"That's all he was.  One big living chin."

"No time to be fussy, we need MC-1's top lawman on the streets.  ATTACH!"

Matt Timson

"Siku was selling painted art, framed, double-page spreads at Dreddcon.  For ?260 a go."

You know, I don't get it.  I get paid much more than that for my work- and it's not even framed!

Why are comic artists paid so poorly?!?  It's not exactly a piece of piss- and believe me, if it was, I'd have drawn comics for a living myself...

Anybody want to volunteer the current page rate for 2000ad- full colour and black and white?

Nosey Matt
Pffft...

Wake

This is based on hearsay, rather than knowledge.

I think that the standard page rates are approx.

?60 script
?60 pencils
?60 inks
?60 colour
?20 letters

So a 5 page b/w future shock is

?300 - script
?600 - art
?100 - letters

Total ?1000

I think I heard that a b/w page (pencils plus inks) takes approx a day, so that's about ?120 per day for an artist.

Wake

DISCLAIMER - I don't KNOW the above, I just believe it to be approximately true. Page rate will certainly vary from artist to artist (and probably from page to page too) and "names" are likely to get extra, but it's a starting point.

Matt Timson

Not enough!  Pay the buggers more...
Pffft...