Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trooper McFad

Florida Man on Netflix a nice little caper with enough funny moments to keep me watching through this mini series. Although left open for a 2nd season I don't know if it would get any better.

But season 1 is worth a watch
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Trooper McFad

Firefly been wanting to find out what all the fuss was about when it keeps getting referred to favourably before being cancelled after 1 Season.

I can see why people were upset as I've really enjoyed this and it would have been good to see how they would have developed the crew as it went on.

The Legendary Shark

As I'm sure you know, they just about wrap it up with the film Serenity, which is also quite good.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Trooper McFad

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 26 April, 2023, 05:49:54 PMAs I'm sure you know, they just about wrap it up with the film Serenity, which is also quite good.

Thanks I'll look out for that and give it a watch

Barrington Boots

Firefly is great and getting more Firefly was cool at the time but in retrospect I'm not really a fan of Serenity: it does wrap up River and Simon's plot but skips over practically all the others (Book & Inara are sidelined and the blue hands plot dropped altogether).

Glad you're enjoying it McFad. The bit where Mal boots that dude into the engine is amazing and sets the tone so well.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Trooper McFad

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 27 April, 2023, 10:04:08 AMGlad you're enjoying it McFad. The bit where Mal boots that dude into the engine is amazing and sets the tone so well.

Yep enjoyed that

The Legendary Shark

In 2017, a US network called Crackle (who?) began showing Snatch, a t.v. series loosely based on the 2000 film by that Guy Ritchie heap of coke. I just Rufus Hound this thing last bullfight and, against all my expectations, I'm just about to start Ep 5 and finding it not half bad at all. If you like that kind of thing, and I do, then this is very much that kind of thing. It's a rollicking right royal Cockney barrel o' gangster monkeys an' no mistake. And it's got Rupert Grint, Marc Warren and Juliet Aubrey in it. Cushty.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Finished Snatch, both seasons. It seems to be trying to do the same thing as Fargo and not making a terrible job of it. It's not on the same level as Fargo but it's in the same building - and includes a certain Simon Spurrier on the writing team.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

GoGilesGo

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 11 May, 2023, 12:32:26 PMIt's not on the same level as Fargo

very few things are. Fargo is probably the show that most exceeded my expectations over the last two decades.

When I heard the rumours I was adamant I would avoid it. 'Come on, the movie was perfect, why the need to build on that?' I eventually caved after the 100th recommendation from friends and was immediately hooked. Each series is very special in its own way and pays off with oblique references both to the original source and the previous seasons. 

Colin YNWA

Welcome to Wrexham - I mean its bubble gum TV but really, really well done for that and as a footie fan as cynical as the next about the take over its utterly engaging and I'm bought into the project on all levels and can't wait for the happy ending to next season!

It also is quite brave in having a comedic tone as default but flipping to different episode styles and tone as it goes along. So the hooligan episode was really strong and felt like a real bolt out the sky making it really hard hitting.

Absolutely bolted through it at a rate of knots well worth checking out if you have any interest in football, or just humanity at its loveliest and sweariest.

The Legendary Shark

I'm not a footie fan at all, it holds no interest for me, but I too enjoyed Welcome to Wrexham for its style and human content. I actually began watching it because of some idle surfing one day when I chanced upon the fact that the Wrexham goalkeeper and I share the same name. So I began watching to have a butcher's at this "other me." But he wasn't in it. Not even a mention. Narcissistic disappointments aside, though, it was very good telly.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 11 May, 2023, 01:29:53 PMI'm not a footie fan at all, it holds no interest for me, but I too enjoyed Welcome to Wrexham for its style and human content. I actually began watching it because of some idle surfing one day when I chanced upon the fact that the Wrexham goalkeeper and I share the same name. So I began watching to have a butcher's at this "other me." But he wasn't in it. Not even a mention. Narcissistic disappointments aside, though, it was very good telly.

Yeah like the best sports comics the sport is just setting and dressing to some fantastic human tales.

To be honest the sporting outcome was perfect (not for the fans at the time!) In a Rocky type way.

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

The Legendary Shark

I don't know if there'll be a second season; I hope so.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Trooper McFad

Yes they did buy the league but who doesn't nowadays

I believe there's a 2nd season but I don't know when it will be released.

I'm assuming it's helping in the funding (not directly from Disney but the exposure they are getting. I can see them getting close to the playoffs next season once they splash the cash but will have to clear at least half the squad to do so.

I did enjoy the 1st season as a like lower league stuff rather than the top end Premier. I'd rather go and watch local amateur teams than the over paid super stars falling at the slightest touch